Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1.6 YAFU (Yet Another Firmware Update)

Looks like fixed the jerky yaw for X5 folks, that's good.

But the other fix looks like the reason they released this so quickly.

Sounds like precipitous voltage drops (and battery shutdown / aircraft falling out of the sky) with cold batteries caused the quick release.

Guessing it might have been related to the updated ESC firmware in FW v1.5?

Perhaps drawing more power than they should?

I don't like the reduced performance bit though

The new FW will not allow you to take off with a cold battery. I had one battery at 8.9C and received on app onscreen warning me to warm it or change it. There are no changes to the battery firmware itself. Rather there are limits on max climb speed in cold conditions.

Reactions: damoncooper
Looks like fixed the jerky yaw for X5 folks, that's good.

But the other fix looks like the reason they released this so quickly.

Sounds like precipitous voltage drops (and battery shutdown / aircraft falling out of the sky) with cold batteries caused the quick release.

Guessing it might have been related to the updated ESC firmware in FW v1.5?

Perhaps drawing more power than they should?

I don't like the reduced performance bit though
True but its either self inflicted reduced performance and a conscious desicision to go easy on the throttle in cold conditions (as anyone familiar with lipo performance in lower temps knows) or a forced reduction in performance preventing the 'fly out of the box let's see how high it goes' brigade pushing their packs to the limit and then bleating that their RPAS fell from the sky and how it just couldn't have been their fault. :rolleyes:
What we are finding is that with each successive update, DJI are pandering to the 'I haven't got time to read the manual - I just want to fly' idiots and in doing so there will be less and less self education and more and more of the 'Well it said it was safe to fly so I did' attitude. (We have seen it already on this and other forums).

i will revert to fw 1.4 or lower. haven't had any issies with lower fw versions. will also be able to disconnect gps without error and fly where i like.
why don't we or dji make a ground school mandatory for those who buy or get a drone for xmas. line when buying a porsche, you will get a drivers training to get familiar with the car you bought. i feel it is insane to "punish" all for a few that are not informed or did not take the effort to get into the topic and know the possible issues line in case of low temp etc. if could do a research or just ask more experienced pilots /rc inthusiasts why can not other do it and stay safe to do their hobby.
i a. sure i am missing something.
no offense to anyone ment. please see this as my sole opinion and nothing else. i see it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new FW will not allow you to take off with a cold battery. I had one battery at 8.9C and received on app onscreen warning me to warm it or change it. There are no changes to the battery firmware itself. Rather there are limits on max climb speed in cold conditions.
Andrew, you're ahead of me on this one - how long did the update take? Was it a fast one or the usual 18 mins or so?
Thanks

True but its either self inflicted reduced performance and a conscious desicision to go easy on the throttle in cold conditions (as anyone familiar with lipo performance in lower temps knows) or a forced reduction in performance preventing the 'fly out of the box let's see how high it goes' brigade pushing their packs to the limit and then bleating that their RPAS fell from the sky and how it just couldn't have been their fault. :rolleyes:
What we are finding is that with each successive update, DJI are pandering to the 'I haven't got time to read the manual - I just want to fly' idiots and in doing so there will be less and less self education and more and more of the 'Well it said it was safe to fly so I did' attitude. (We have seen it already on this and other forums).
I would caution flying the new FW (1.6.0.40) in strong wind conditions. I was struggling to control mine today in 9-10m/s winds and almost experienced a flyaway. Despite turning into wind and applying full right stick forward I was not able to counter the wind drift in P-GPS mode. I had to reduce height and switch to ATTI to regain control. PS. Air temp was 9C.

Reactions: slim.slamma
I would caution flying the new FW (1.6.0.40) in strong wind conditions. I was struggling to control mine today in 9-10m/s winds and almost experienced a flyaway. Despite turning into wind and applying full right stick forward I was not able to counter the wind drift in P-GPS mode. I had to reduce height and switch to ATTI to regain control. PS. Air temp was 9C.
Unfortunately, we do not have any data on how the FW progressively handles the power as the temp decreases or at what point/temp full power is available.

Reactions: damoncooper
Download time for me was 3 to 5 minutes. The SD text file said "success". The 2nd battery didn't take any updates. The Go App says firmware " normal ( latest firmware )" but "about" in the Go App says that the aircraft is still at 1.5.00.3 and not 1.6.00.4. Now I'm just a little scared. All the firmware was up to date when I started.
iOS 9.2 iPad Air

Last edited:
Download time for me was 3 to 5 minutes. The SD text file said "success". The 2nd battery didn't take any updates. The Go App says firmware up to date, but "about" in the Go App says that the aircraft is still at 1.5.00.3 and not 1.6.00.4. Now I'm a just a little scared. All the firmware was up to date when I started.
iOS 9.2 iPad Air
This update does not update the battery, only the control systems related to battery power usage. The About dialog shows the FW has been updated by the plus + sign after the version number. It is not correctly showing the full version number.

9-10 m/s winds and struggling??? What the heck! UK average winds for last 2 months have been more than that! One wonders if dji will change the wind rating for the Inspire and ops manual change requirement. If that's the speed they are running with then I need to sell it and look for a powerful machine. However I think I'll wait to see how all this pans out.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
9-10 m/s winds and struggling??? What the heck! UK average winds for last 2 months have been more than that! One wonders if dji will change the wind rating for the Inspire and ops manual change requirement. If that's the speed they are running with then I need to sell it and look for a powerful machine. However I think I'll wait to see how all this pans out.
I agree. The wind has been at 8-25 m/s here for the past week and more over the next few days. I have experienced my first flyaways with the I1 where I simply did not have the power available control the aircraft and bring it safely back. As @The Editor suggests DJI are pampering to those you fly beyond the limits of the battery/aircraft while compromising the safety of the Inspire 1 is windy conditions.

Reactions: IrishSights
This update does not update the battery, only the control systems related to battery power usage. The About dialog shows the FW has been updated by the plus + sign after the version number. It is not correctly showing the full version number.

Thank you Scotflieger. My Aircraft Version reads 1.5.00.30 +.
I find the help this forum provides invaluable.

I agree. The wind has been at 8-25 m/s here for the past week and more over the next few days. I have experienced my first flyaways with the I1 where I simply did not have the power available control the aircraft and bring it safely back. As @The Editor suggests DJI are pampering to those you fly beyond the limits of the battery/aircraft while compromising the safety of the Inspire 1 is windy conditions.
I believe DJI have got the whole theory behind this fundamentally wrong.
They could have limited the power simply for the first 30 seconds or so after the aircraft has taken off in cold conditions. This would allow the battery to warm up sufficiently and then the FW could allow full throttle.
I personally think this would have been the best course of action and a sensible compromise of idiot proofing v functionality but DJI appears to go knee jerk once more and only want to satisfy the Radio Shack/Maplin Electronics crew.
I am going to sit this update out......I have no need for a nanny piece of code to tell me to take it easy in approaching zero degree weather.
The NFZ restrictions are bad enough but for a commercial operator to additionally be limited both by temperature and power seriously questions whether the Inspire can now ever be used as a professional tool of work again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1