Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1st accident caused by of lost propeller

Reaction score
After years of flying I had my first accident today because a propeller came off mid flight. Luckily, I was not near any property and the only thing damaged was my inspire 1 version 2. I was in an open field so all parts were easily recovered. Sadly, I was not recording at the time so I have no video to show.

My inspire 1 v2 is still under warranty. Being that I was able to recover all of the aircraft, including camera, what are my chances of DJI replacing this as it was no fault of mine?

Reactions: Drone_Video
After years of flying I had my first accident today because a propeller came off mid flight. Luckily, I was not near any property and the only thing damaged was my inspire 1 version 2. I was in an open field so all parts were easily recovered. Sadly, I was not recording at the time so I have no video to show.

My inspire 1 v2 is still under warranty. Being that I was able to recover all of the aircraft, including camera, what are my chances of DJI replacing this as it was no fault of mine?
As it was a v2 I am assuming one of those quick release prop fastening things?

Hi folks,

Yes it was one of the quick release fastening things. The propeller came off clean with no broken parts. I am afraid I couldn't recover the propeller that flew off. I have no idea where it went, but I definitely saw it fly off towards the sun before my Inspire started plummeting towards earth. No birds, bullets, or otherwise foreign objects interfered. 100% loss of propeller

For now I am pulling back out my Inspire 1 version 1. Always felt better about that model anyway...

Sorry to hear that. A nightmare I 've only experienced with my P3P (frozen motor) . After a lot of debate since 2015 with the master (me), a master-bate? :eek:I am getting close to putting a chute on mine, perhaps MARS....

Your experience should be a cautionary tale for those pilots who still think it's ok to fly directly over persons.....

Hi folks,

Yes it was one of the quick release fastening things. The propeller came off clean with no broken parts. I am afraid I couldn't recover the propeller that flew off. I have no idea where it went, but I definitely saw it fly off towards the sun before my Inspire started plummeting towards earth. No birds, bullets, or otherwise foreign objects interfered. 100% loss of propeller

For now I am pulling back out my Inspire 1 version 1. Always felt better about that model anyway...
You will have no issues with a V1 and self tightening props with locks in place.
Let's put it this way........ I have never heard of a self tightening prop on an Inspire coming off so long as prop locks are fitted.
The quick release ones are a different story though and have gone through several design changes in an effort to improve the design.
They also have a 'lifespan' since the cams on the prop wear. There have also been instances of over torqued motor hubs that have split through the middle.

I am still flying on v1 threaded self tightners (with prop locks) since I consider them the safest and most robust and redundant option.
I have no desire to get airborne within 0.000002 seconds of arriving at a site!

Sorry you had your incident..........

Running self tightening with the plastics caps. Rather inconvenient install but It would take a huge amount of force to remove them. I never fully trusted the complimentary replacements.

Reactions: Kenneth Sands
I have a v1 with quick lock as well but wish I had self tightening. it's mind boggling you me that they would even intentionally offer an alternative to self tightening.

I'm so paranoid about the quick props that I spend way more time checking and double & triple checking them that it takes way more time than it would with self tightening props.

I have a v1 with quick lock as well but wish I had self tightening. it's mind boggling you me that they would even intentionally offer an alternative to self tightening.

I'm so paranoid about the quick props that I spend way more time checking and double & triple checking them that it takes way more time than it would with self tightening props.
You can buy DJI self tightening potentially from someone on eBay. Make sure you get the black plastic caps. I instantly avoided the next 2 version of locking caps as the only thing holding the assembly on was small screws and thin plastic. I'm sure DJI tested them extensively but I was paranoid too. Some have been known to fly off.

You will have no issues with a V1 and self tightening props with locks in place.

Can you tell me more about this? I have an original i1 with the self tightening threads (never had a problem) but am not aware of prop locks.

Can you tell me more about this? I have an original i1 with the self tightening threads (never had a problem) but am not aware of prop locks.
Buy Inspire 1 - Propeller Lock | DJI Store

If you clip these over your screw on props it is simply impossible for them to unscrew themselves in flight. Brilliant solution. But to DJI's eyes perhaps unsophisticated. And they got support questions from many noobs asking "i lost one of my locking clips the other day, can I still fly? Obviously the answer was to do a calibration and everything would be fine :))
Also on the social media and forums people were shouting that the self winding props were unsafe (when not screwed on securely, duh simple) hence the locking clips were introduced. It is the other way around! They are far more reliable than any other prop type. Metal through metal! There's no real alternative for that.

Last edited:
Send your logs and video, etc to DJI. They will give you some grief but they should replace it. I had the same thing happen on set, a prop was tossed. DJI initially grumbled about it but we pushed them and they ultimately repaired the Inspire and replaced the X5R.

Reactions: iswimmer and shanks
Send your logs and video, etc to DJI. They will give you some grief but they should replace it. I had the same thing happen on set, a prop was tossed. DJI initially grumbled about it but we pushed them and they ultimately repaired the Inspire and replaced the X5R.

Good to hear. I shipped mine in a few days ago and am waiting for a response from the team. Will update the thread as things continue.

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan