Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK 400ft and above.

Reaction score
Ok - Silly question here - our limit it 400ft in the UK, so if we are approached by a situation where the building / structure / antenna etc is over 400ft in height, does that mean we still have to stop at the 400ft mark and not go higher - how would we map / image a structure over 400ft in height in that case ?

Ok - Silly question here - our limit it 400ft in the UK, so if we are approached by a situation where the building / structure / antenna etc is over 400ft in height, does that mean we still have to stop at the 400ft mark and not go higher - how would we map / image a structure over 400ft in height in that case ?
By submitting and being granted an OSC (formally CAOSC) for that particular mission/job

Thanks - I did think that would be the case
In the States I believe they are allowed to fly 400ft above the structure (which could mean approaching 1,000ft if it is a 400-500ft tower etc).
In the UK the 400ft AGL ceiling is non negotiable under the Air Navigation Order unless the CAA has granted permissions via an OSC.
Hope that helps

In the States I believe they are allowed to fly 400ft above the structure (which could mean approaching 1,000ft if it is a 400-500ft tower etc).
In the UK the 400ft AGL ceiling is non negotiable under the Air Navigation Order unless the CAA has granted permissions via an OSC.
Hope that helps
And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why he's the Editor! Top answer! [emoji16]

Hope that helps

But, depending on the height of the structure, it might put you in class E airspace to be 400 ft above. In that case you would be limited to the ceiling of the class G airspace.

Reactions: The Editor
Hope that helps

I think you also have to be within 400 feet of the structure horizontally, under FAA Part 107.

I few posts said, "I think...". I can tell you definitively that in the US you can fly up to 400 feet above any structure IF you are within 400 feet of that structure and you don't enter any overlying controlled airspace. The only mitigating factor being what 'uasairsupport' mentioned, that if it puts you in controlled airspace at your new AGL, then you have to notify the proper parties. For instance, if you are inspecting a 1000 foot tower that is in G-Airspace and you fly up 400 feet above it, it may punch you into the floor of an overlying E-Airspace that may start at 700 feet or 1200 feet. If it's in the 700 feet ceiling airspace, then you can't go above 699 feet without authorization. If in the 1200 foot floor airspace, 1199 is your highest elevation without authorization.

Hope that helps

You are correct about US obstacle clearance rules.

Thanks for the clarification guys although the OP was specifically talking about UK rules under the Air Navigation Order. (My fault for mentioning the US regulations :))

I realize that it was about UK. I thought it might help clarify the rules for US users who landed on this thread following a search like I did. The thread doesn't have the best title as it's too general and doesn't specify UK except for the little UK icon that's easy to miss. I hope that's ok with the moderators that I went off subject just a smidge. It's all about safety, right?

Reactions: The Editor
Hi RobH2. Interested in the US rules as stated. If your operation could put you into controlled airspace at 700' then you are allowed to fly over the 400' structure up to 699'. I understand that you have only given a working example but this seems like it completely removes the assumed 100' buffer which seems to dictate the generally agreed 400' rule (i.e. 100' below most low-flying ac). I recon a pilot at 700' would have a very near miss with a drone potentially 1' below him. Is there not an additional buffer to account for when you're working above a high structure? I ask for interest and learning only....I'm U.K. based.

Hi Eyeup, you raise a good point. I'm not a pilot but from what I studied for Part 107, the FAA rounds everything up and then adds a few feet so there is a safe buffer. Your thoughts about a 100' buffer are interesting. From my understanding, the reason for the 400' rule as a "MAX" AGL for drones in the US is that no aircraft is allowed to fly below 500' without reason, meaning, helicopters for life flights and police helicopters. So in theory, if in Class G airspace with no immediate overlying airspace, no aircraft pilot should fly any lower than 500' and, should be 500' above the highest obstruction. That means, if I'm shooting a 1200 foot tower and can legally fly to 1600', no aircraft pilot should be any lower than 1700'. That way, there's 100' between us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa