Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

45mm / Gimbal settings ?

I have the same shaky image with the 45mm...did not try a vented lens hood so far, but will do while next time flying. Do you fly in GPS mode or Atti ? I asked myself if the GPS mode could have impact on the gimbal stability because of the permanent corrections of the aircraft while flying. Didn't test that so far, but maybe it's smooth in Atti mode ???

I have the same shaky image with the 45mm...did not try a vented lens hood so far, but will do while next time flying. Do you fly in GPS mode or Atti ? I asked myself if the GPS mode could have impact on the gimbal stability because of the permanent corrections of the aircraft while flying. Didn't test that so far, but maybe it's smooth in Atti mode ???
I just happen to see your post I can tell you for me I get smoother video results with my 45mm when in Atti mode. I agree GPS is fighting to stay in one spot. Especially in higher winds it becomes more of an issue. I use the 45mm with a solid hood and my video is really nice. Top notch. Almost as good as the 12mm Olympus.

I don't personally think GPS or ATTI would make a difference. Isn't that the purpose of a gimbal? I love the stills that I can produce from the 45mm but the video is pretty much useless. Anyone found resolution?

FYI

I just use a strip of blue tack to balance 45mm lens.

Balances spot on. Imagery both video photos excellent.

Did someone just ask what Blu Tak was. Universe im
FYI

I just use a strip of blue tack to balance 45mm lens.

Balances spot on. Imagery both video photos excellent.

Can you post a picture of where you stick the blu-tak and how much you use, better still, if you can weigh it I am sure I can find something a little more flattering.
I just got my 45 today and got micro vibrations.

Thanks

I am primarily interested in shooting still images and have a 45mm Olympus lens that needs to be balanced. I have a lens hood on order and also a 37-46 step up ring so I can add a pola filter if required.
Q - is there a preferred pola filter make (Hoya, b+w etc) for this lens on the X5? I have a 12mm on order which is 46mm thread so hope to use the pola or even ND filters as required.
Thanks in advance

I am primarily interested in shooting still images and have a 45mm Olympus lens that needs to be balanced. I have a lens hood on order and also a 37-46 step up ring so I can add a pola filter if required.
Q - is there a preferred pola filter make (Hoya, b+w etc) for this lens on the X5? I have a 12mm on order which is 46mm thread so hope to use the pola or even ND filters as required.
Thanks in advance
I'll let you know when I find out. Currently I am finding the 12mm balances very well with Hoya filters (I mostly use the ND8). The 45mm unfortunately has a different diameter so a step up ring is needed (mine is on order as well). With each lens mounted naked the entire gimbal is too rear-heavy, on the 12mm it still performs just fine for me but with the 45mm I am getting a good amount of shake and twitching which I am hoping that the step-up ring plus filter will solve. Other users have had good luck with the 45mm lens hood, and the blue tack technique looks interesting as well.

If you are shooting mainly stills, let er rip with the 45mm. The gentle twitching doesn't affect photos with the lens. I shot this image with the 45mm yesterday, from about 1 km away. I was blown away and immediately glad I bought the lens. With the 12mm I would have to have been buzzing right outside of the Premier's office to get the same shot!

Attachments

• ledge compressed.jpg
    ledge compressed.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thank you but with your title I think the sir goes the other way;)Proud to say I know ya. Not many can achieve what you have in great economic climates let alone a horrible one.

Reactions: damoncooper
Tip for UK users, put x2 £1 coins and a 20 pence piece on (weight about 23-25g) the 45mm for a quick and dirty fix of getting rid of the micro vibrations.
Its not perfect, but MANY times better than running it without. Ideally someone has a proper solution/ring but this is a quick and dirty solution if you want to gt video.

I was quite amazed how big a zoom it is, its massive. I was 200 meters away from a subject the other day and I had to fly back further to get it all in view.
This lens has its uses, would make an awesome mid air security camera for anyone in security.

Thanks Gruvpix,
Nice example image.
Yes the stepup ring plus filter works perfectly to balance the 45mm.
The 12mm needs either the vented hood or a filter to balance because at least on my gimbal the lens is a little back heavy.
Im expecting to be able to calibrate both tomorrow.
Cheers

Reactions: gruvpix
Thanks Gruvpix,
Nice example image.
Yes the stepup ring plus filter works perfectly to balance the 45mm.
The 12mm needs either the vented hood or a filter to balance because at least on my gimbal the lens is a little back heavy.
Im expecting to be able to calibrate both tomorrow.
Cheers
Awesome let me know what you find regarding the slight shake in the camera and if it is still present.

Reactions: Mactab

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207