Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

46mm ND Filters for X5S

I got a set of B+W filters but they all cause the camera to be front heavy. I assume I should try to balance it out by putting weight on the back rather than stress the gimbal motors. Does anyone have suggestions for adding that weight to the back? All i've seen are balancing rings that add more weight to the front.

Very simple and cheap, just use the amount needed to balance as necessary. Amazon.com : Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive 75g : Adhesive Putty : Office Products

Just another thumbs up for the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters - just ordered up a second batch of UV400's from them this afternoon as general element protectors/balance filters (they're only 7-8g each). They've still got their 50% off offer running, so for anyone thinking about them... you've still got a chance to grab them at great prices!

Just another thumbs up for the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters - just ordered up a second batch of UV400's from them this afternoon as general element protectors/balance filters (they're only 7-8g each). They've still got their 50% off offer running, so for anyone thinking about them... you've still got a chance to grab them at great prices!

Yea I stocked up too!

Yeah the prices are great - bought several 46mm Hoya filters last year and paid more for them than these Firecrests. Only disappointment is they don't do the smaller size for the 45mm Oly or I'd have bought it it's own set too! :( Guess I'll have to buy a step up ring :D

Last edited:
Yeah the prices are great - bought several 46mm Hoya filters last year and paid more for more for them than these Firecrests. Only disappointment is they don't do the smaller size for the 45mm Oly or I'd have bought it it's own set too! :( Guess I'll have to buy a step up ring :D

Yep, Sensi pro has a good step up ring. I like my filters all the same size at 46mm. Now I have enough to keep on the lens and not swap out as much!

Get you some of the 1/4 oz motorcycle stick on wheel weights. You can use a pair of side cutters to trim one to achieve proper balance.

Wayne Mann

Hi - did you order them direct or from a reseller, please?

+1 for Firecrest. Light-weight, thin bezel, ship in nice cases, work with stock lens caps and hoods.. ND1.2 barely ever comes off my Lumix 15mm 1.7

I got a set of B+W filters but they all cause the camera to be front heavy. I assume I should try to balance it out by putting weight on the back rather than stress the gimbal motors. Does anyone have suggestions for adding that weight to the back? All i've seen are balancing rings that add more weight to the front.

2e32a189ce7c1c09d376d306ba7bb3e1.jpg

Blue tac on Amazon, sticky puddy that leaves no residue and is reusable, and 5 gram car tire balance tabs does the trick for me. I like the b+w filters but yes they are heavier and require counter weight on the back. Does the trick. Alternatively, the firecrest filters are great too, though expensive, but are much lighter.

I was just reading some reviews of ND filters and it seems the new kid on the block is the Breakthrough brand. Beat out B+W and Singh-Ray both for sharpness, less vignetting, as well as color casts. Bad part is they do not go down smaller than 49mm, but they are thinner than B+W so maybe a thin 37mm to 49mm step-up ring wouldn't be so bad.

Shootout is here: 5 Filters Go Head to Head in This Neutral Density Shootout
and here: Color Casts, Vignetting, and Sharpness: Which Neutral Density Filter Is Best? | Fstoppers

Added later:

I bought their new 46mm size in 3 and 5 stops ND from them. Weight is 14.4 grams per filter. A 37 to 46mm step ring is 3.3 grams.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltalimatango

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop