Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A Call to Action, drone style

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
So with all these reports of a over a million drones will be bought this holiday season, I've been noticing a great "disturbance in the force" and it seems more and more drone haters are expressing themselves. Granted so far they are the more ballsy or drama seekers are voicing out more, I just had about enough.

For the past week I've been in talks with the city public library system to conduct a free to the public presentation about drone. My goal is to inform the general public and set some of these myths out. So far the library system is all on board and is enthusiastic and want me to offer the course throughout 2016.

So I may ask some of y'all for some data as I intend to keep the information updated and fresh. I anticipate my first presentation will be early December.

Thanks in advance.
OC

Reactions: SanCap and AndrewH
Thats a nice idea but I think you need some troopers to get the drone haters into the room and even if you do you think they will believe you

- that a x5 is not a tele aimed on them?
- the drone cannot crash over their agriculture and your troopers will trash everything while searching it?
- there are no criminals spying for a break in?
- it doesnt have a infrared just to watch them having sex in their pool?

What you answer when someone asks how you avoid its falling on their head if a motor fails or propeller breaks? If you tell them that a quadcopter will always fall down it may create more drone haters as most people are not aware that there is zero redundancy.

You can explain that with the wide angle it has you have to go 5m near to really see them, you can say that if it falls down you know where with GPS and dont stomp around all the field to find it. But you cannot tell them thats true for all drones so they will not change their mind even if they may think that your drone will not harm them.

Some people hate them just because of the noise and the lower you must fly because of government crap the noisier it will be.

I did never manage to change the mind of a drone hater or even concerned people. If they dont want you to fly over their land but know that you are allowed to they will just hate you.

I also experienced it has much to do with where you fly. If I go 200km east I come to an area where no girl greets me but if I go 200km west many girls greet me just on the street. And with the drone I am not very surprised that in the east area everyone tries to convince me that I am not allowed to fly there and if this is no success at least want to tell me that if it crashes I am not allowed to take it from their land (which is also not true). In the west area I even may get invited into their house for a coffee. It really makes a big difference.

Thats a nice idea but I think you need some troopers to get the drone haters into the room and even if you do you think they will believe you...

Thanks MM but troopers are not needed except for some of my boyz in the NorCal to might assist me in answering questions during Q&A and in most cases this is a intro presentation not a legal advice event as it is noted on the first few slides already.

I do expect some haters that want to start an argument but I should be able to do some "verbal Judo" on them.

Last edited:
Just got word from the Program Director of the San Jose Public System, I got the green light and my first event is on December 12.

I am already seeking sponsorship to help offset some expenses and wouldn't you know it I was at a popular mall with my kids and saw a drone/RC Kiosk selling Syma drones to customers.

So putting on my nosey cap on I listened and in. At no time through the whole process that the seller noted any rules or guidelines to the customer.

I know they are a "fly by night" business but seriously if we are to cause more confusion and drama this is where it begins.

After the sale I spoke with the sales guy and asked him if he mentioned about such guidelines, as you can guess he said yes, which is BS. Anyways he ran down what he supposedly said to the customer and it would just make any responsible operator's head spin.

I corrected the guy, professionally of course, (not like some) and advised him that it is very important that what he tells the customer must be accurate and detailed. I know after my discussion it will fall into deaf ears but at least there was a potential customer next to us that was interested in learning more of the rules and guidelines.

Good to say that this potential customer will be attending my first event in December.

know_how_to_party_waynes_world.gif

Aerial Drones: An Introduction to a Modern Phenomenon - San Jose Library Events

Last edited:
Outta Control: You have wonderfully illustrated one reason why DJI has implemented NFZs the way they have.

DJI realizes that there is no significant incentive for sales professionals to take up the role of teacher / instructor. It directly undermines their job - sales. Additionally, if a DJI product crashes into a piper cherokee and takes out a small family, it won't be the salesperson who's hung out to dry - it'll be DJI. The salesperson will take their hourly rate or commission all the way to the bank.

Therefore, in order to mitigate potentially disastrous business risk, DJI implemented controls on educated and compliant, blissfully unaware, and rogue pilots alike. I just so happens that the approach will also bring many rogues into compliance -- at the expense of those relative few (by percentage) educated and authorized to work within NFZs.

I applaud your effort to push the guy to do the right thing, but I don't personally think it's his job. He's not compensated to do it, and he doesn't bear any of the risk if something goes wrong.

An alternative idea (just an idea - not preaching here): invite any and all who are interested to go flying - show them what right looks like!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko