Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A cautious day at the Boardwalk. (PSA)

Hey outta control..
That was a super cool video!!
Kind of sketchy flying with so many birds in the air..
I would be concerned about having a bird strike that could cause a crash..
I bet you had your hand on your gun about the time the thugs decided to walk away..
Definitely could have gotten gotta control ..lol..
Nice work ..
Turbo..

Hey Turbo...
You're right.
It was sketchy flying with those birds. Closest one was inches from the rotor as I was surprised that bird hadn't caught it.
Unfortunately you and I live in PRK = People's Republic of Kalifornia which is a solid blue state and they hate self preservation.

Though I have a CCW in 38 states I would have loved to CCW in PRK.

But that is a whole other discussion.

:)

Reactions: JimPA
So I'm very curious as to how many bar's your remote and hd strength indicators were showing at the maximum distance you flew the inspire. I have not yet taken it to its limits yet.

Hey Turbo...
You're right.
It was sketchy flying with those birds. Closest one was inches from the rotor as I was surprised that bird hadn't caught it.
Unfortunately you and I live in PRK = People's Republic of Kalifornia which is a solid blue state and they hate self preservation.

Though I have a CCW in 38 states I would have loved to CCW in PRK.

But that is a whole other discussion.

I wish I could have heard that conversation..
It seems to be a common accurance to have thugs approach pilots in public place and either object to being videod or want to steal the ac..so pilots be aware this can happen to you if you fly in a public place..
From what I can tell from reading on a post on phantom pilots many pilots are armed..thugs beware...
I guess I assumed you were from the PRK from your original avatar..
Anyway glad it worked out for you!!
Look forward to seeing some more of your work and it inspired me to try and produce something cool too..
Happy flying..
Turbo....

I have had this same concern several times when people approach me. The number one question is how much do they cost. I now refuse to tell them or just make a joke about them not being cheap. Most of the time it is just curious people, but sometimes the people look pretty shady. I have CCW permit and carry, but still not a situation I want to find myself in.

It always pays to be aware of what's going on around you, and not just the air.... lol

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Just a quick video about my experience during my time at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. We all know we fly a pretty $$$ toy/tool.

Overall it was not a good day to fly.

Please be aware of your surroundings at all times.

This is NOT a criticism, but merely a question to clarify my own understanding: I was under the impression that flying over people was frowned upon. Yes or no?

First I would say I am not a lawyer thus my answer is not a final word. To answer your question it would be about subjective interpretation.

I say this because whenever we fly out in public we will always be flying over people. Either be a single individual or a collective group of people. We can try our best to dodge and redirect our path but we will always encounter people. Then there is the question of proximity. If you can prevent flying over people then the rule makers can then say you are within the proximity of people thus you are still over them.

Self defense in California is very simple. You have the right to call the police after the crime has occurred. Then you have the right to wait half an hour to three hours for one of them to respond, at which point they will discuss why it's not worth their time to file a police report. Trust me, from my experience no matter how much you insist, they won't file one.

Carrying in any form is illegal. Stun guns are illegal, even if used legitimately in self defense. Rape whistles are still legal, as long as they do not exceed 120 dB. Good luck, California!

Reactions: JimPA
This is NOT a criticism, but merely a question to clarify my own understanding: I was under the impression that flying over people was frowned upon. Yes or no?
I am amazed this pilot can get away with flying so close to and over people and structures. The UK CAA (our FAA) prohibit any drone being flown within 50m of any person or building not under the control/direction of the pilot or over any congested area (a load of bathers or the pier) or within 150m or over any crowds. Only the pilot is allowed within 30m of the drone when taking off/landing. There can be no question of placing yourself in a position where someone can come up and distract you.

Reactions: bostonlines
As I tell to my students who ride in India and other parts of Asia and also in the UK.

I can't criticize the way you ride your motorcycle in your country because it is a different culture and a different mindset.

This holds true in almost all and any activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms
^^^
Interesting thought. I wonder if this is based on the logic of weight = injury or death ratio. My point is that the spinning blade of a Phantom has about the same force of injury as an Inspire. As far as weight is concerned I don't think an extra 2 lbs difference can significantly cause more injury.

I guess this is the typical government logic.

o_O

Oh and I want to add that even though the wind conditions my not be ideal for flying I will not make that as an excuse. I will admit that I maybe have gotten close to a couple on the pier and I will own up to it. I should have been more courteous and safer.

Last edited:
^^^
I approve his message.

The only thing we in CA can carry is a knife with no more than 4" of blade and an OC spray.

As long as the pepper spray does not exceed 2.5 ounces and has a CA mandated warning that it is for self defenses purposes only.

This is why cities like Los Angeles have some of the lowest crime rates in the...oh wait.

Reactions: Outta Control
I am amazed this pilot can get away with flying so close to and over people and structures. The UK CAA (our FAA) prohibit any drone being flown within 50m of any person or building not under the control/direction of the pilot or over any congested area (a load of bathers or the pier) or within 150m or over any crowds. Only the pilot is allowed within 30m of the drone when taking off/landing. There can be no question of placing yourself in a position where someone can come up and distract you.
Unless you have a CAOSC.

Reactions: Scotflieger
Hey guys..
This thread wasn't about the safety of the flight or what's legal or whats not..
It was about his video and the possibility of a robbery..
I'm getting tired of people thrashing someone because they see a problem or whatever..
If you have a problem with someone or their videos or whatever please pm them and have a private conversation, or make another post about the subject..
We all learn from our mistakes ( we hope) and there's a way of communicating without giving a negative vibe ..
Seems like the op has learned from his video and so did I and that's what's important to me..
Anyway..we are all brothers and sisters.. Treat each other accordingly...
Turbo...

Not in Fresno unless they recently changed the law..
They give out ccw's to anyone without a fellony as far as I know.. Cuts down on crime that way..lol..
Turbo..

Kern, Stanilaus, El Dorado, Merced counties all does "shall issue" CCW that is if you have connections with the top LEOs and provided justifiable cause.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters