Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A couple of honest questions to the experienced I1 owners

Reaction score
Website
www.to-vp.com
I've had my inspire for a little over month now have been diligent on learning how the bird works, do all the preflight check list stuff etc.. I've had the gimbal twitch issue and the GPS/ ATTI bug happen to me in the past which seems to have been fixed with the previous firmware prior to the one released yesterday. It's been an awesome experience so far but I have a couple of honest questions for you seasoned owners so I'm not so freaked out by these crashes I've been reading about lately.

1. If my mods are within range such as these I should be fine right?
Gyroscope Mod – 0.00
Acceleration (g) Mod – .99 to 1.01
Compass Mod – Mod – 1400 to 1600

2. If every battery is charged to 100%, not 98%, not %95 etc, but only to 100% I should be fine to fly correct?

3. After every firmware update I do an IMU and compass calibration so in theory I should be fine to fly if the mods are good to go?

4. I've been trying to practice in ATTI mode but the wind is being a jerk lately where I live. I should be trying to master that mode so if the GPS happens to drop out I can control the bird. I'm pretty comfortable with the drifting and compensation so far. If the bird starts to drift on it's own then switch to ATTI and I should be able to keep er in control right? Obviously this last question brings in the experience level but I wanted to cover all of the concerns I have so far.

That's all the questions I really had. I appreciate all the info I have gained by joining this forum. You guys/gals have been awesome in sharing your knowledge from multitude of backgrounds. I appreciate it immensely. Thanks and cheers

Taylor

Reactions: mdomeny
FINE = f***ed up, insecure, neurotic, and emotional. No matter what, with the i1, you'll always be fine.

You want better than fine. All your questions are a yes, but with a hesitation. Because, even if you do all those things, something could still occur. The mistake I see a lot of people doing is the last one, they don't switch to ATTI mode. If the connection to the remote is interrupted/lost the bird may not change flight mode.

At that point you grab a net and try and fish it out of the sky. Or watch and wait. Or shoot it down. You decide.

Reactions: Outta Control
hahaha! Point taken. I've been having a great time using it as a camera platform but the "neurotic" (more along the line of methodical) side of me wants to make sure I have the knowledge to do things right. Obviously with emerging technology such as the I1 there will be unforeseen variables. I appreciate the response. Thank you kindly @Sky

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey Taylor! !
I'll take a shot at your questions. .
1. Yes these are correct but I think a compass reading of around 1500 is ideal..
2.battery should be good if charged ..
the newest firmware addresses an issue with the battery bricking if stored with 40 percent or less..
I'm not sure if it addresses other battery issues. .
3.yes an imu calibration after a firmware update and then leave it alone ..
a compass calibration when you change locations( opinions vary on when to calibrate ) or your mods or app prompts you to..
know when you get a good compass calibration and leave it..
Check mods after takeoff and hover for a minute and check for tbe make sure your pointer in your radar lines up and check your rth..I usually fly out to about 100 ft away at about 100 elevation to check for tbe and check mods then test rth and cancel it when I see it's coming back to the home point. .
4. I've never experienced gps dropout and loss of control so I can't comment on switching to atti when things go haywire,
but it makes sense ..
I use gps mode when taking off and landing or when it's windy..
when the i1 is up high it's easy to fly in atti mode..
When practicing in atti give yourself plenty of margin for error..
I hope this alleviates your concerns! !
happy flying! !
Turbo...

Reactions: LockMD
I've had my inspire for a little over month now have been diligent on learning how the bird works, do all the preflight check list stuff etc.. I've had the gimbal twitch issue and the GPS/ ATTI bug happen to me in the past which seems to have been fixed with the previous firmware prior to the one released yesterday. It's been an awesome experience so far but I have a couple of honest questions for you seasoned owners so I'm not so freaked out by these crashes I've been reading about lately.

1. If my mods are within range such as these I should be fine right?
Gyroscope Mod – 0.00
Acceleration (g) Mod – .99 to 1.01
Compass Mod – Mod – 1400 to 1600

2. If every battery is charged to 100%, not 98%, not %95 etc, but only to 100% I should be fine to fly correct?

3. After every firmware update I do an IMU and compass calibration so in theory I should be fine to fly if the mods are good to go?

4. I've been trying to practice in ATTI mode but the wind is being a jerk lately where I live. I should be trying to master that mode so if the GPS happens to drop out I can control the bird. I'm pretty comfortable with the drifting and compensation so far. If the bird starts to drift on it's own then switch to ATTI and I should be able to keep er in control right? Obviously this last question brings in the experience level but I wanted to cover all of the concerns I have so far.

That's all the questions I really had. I appreciate all the info I have gained by joining this forum. You guys/gals have been awesome in sharing your knowledge from multitude of backgrounds. I appreciate it immensely. Thanks and cheers

Taylor

1 - 4.....Yes! :)

I echo the comments above and would add that SHOULD anything not feel right or the Inspire does not react as you are now getting more used to then LAND asap and investigate. (Actually that basically goes for anything RC in the air)

Its a fantastic machine, your confidence will grow with it and just take things slowly and do not push you confidence evelope too far too quickly (especially in Atti doing nose in).

Reactions: LockMD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop