Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A Drone Hits a Plane

Hope the person gets hammered for it, and not the rest of us.

Basic licensing/registration before purchase coming soon as predicted (watch this space)

i am not bagatelizing this but how sure are they to really be it a drone?
also, it shows that when struck actually nothing really happens... luckiely of course and i also hope it turns out not to be a drone.
if yes the operator should as said above see a big *** charge for doing something reckless like this.

however, imo it shows that the "danger" of a collision is overhyped in some sort. it is dangerous: yes and it should not be taken off the shoulder easaly, a but real threat?
it bounced off probably like a tennis ball hitting the racket you hit it with...

the video is also a negative campaign rather than informative only outlining the bad things.

there will always be dumb as*es like everywhere... 18 dear old get a car for b-day... maybe a rich kid... goes and hits the tree or kills someone...

its a circle.

i repeat and express out that i am not condoning what happened apperantly.

Reactions: Outta Control
Let's hope they find those responsible and punish them to the full extent of the law. My fear is stories like this will be overly hyped by the media and the responsible pilots will suffer the consequences.

Thankfully the plane was not damaged and no one was hurt. Imagine though if it had been ingested by an engine. Might not bring a plane down but the costs for an engine and the loss of income while being repaired could run into the millions. This is certainly not good news for us.

The headline was that a drone struck the plane but the first lines of the story indicate that it was thought to be a drone so that's not 100% certainty it was. Not that it matters as the headline is there and the news reports will run with it.

OTH, there are some stupid f*cks that don't care if there actions result in draconian legislation to limit or ban drones. We have some on this very board.

Brian

Supposedly it was witnessed by a person, but I am with you guys. I want to see the evidence too.

137 people on board. I'm glad the drone bounced off, airliners are quite robust, apparently.

I can't comprehend the mindset of the remote pilot.
What do you mean? You can see the mindset every day on this site. There are idiots all around us. They brag about flying over buildings and skyscrapers and one chap even posted asking yesterday how he can get the No Fly Zone cut. Another idiot had a go at me and said he might just want to fly in his own backyard. Yeah.. right. This affects us all. Drones will be banned soon like they are in Thailand. Its coming and its our own fault we let this happen. Cowboys should be dobbed in.

What do you mean? You can see the mindset every day on this site. There are idiots all around us. They brag about flying over buildings and skyscrapers and one chap even posted asking yesterday how he can get the No Fly Zone cut. Another idiot had a go at me and said he might just want to fly in his own backyard. Yeah.. right. This affects us all. Drones will be banned soon like they are in Thailand. Its coming and its our own fault we let this happen. Cowboys should be dobbed in.

Well it appears Thailand's ban on drones with cameras is more about censorship that about safety so there is that! Not that I disagree that there are plenty of assholes that don't care if they screw things up for the rest of us or even endanger hundreds of people on a commercial flight.

While I agree there are risks that a large plane may crash one day due to the stupid actions of a certain subset of the drone pilot population the bigger threat in my view is a helicopter being taken down but in that case its even money that the pilot of the helicopter is flying lower than he should.

Brian

Yes, you're absolutely right DennisR, the mindset is everywhere. Despite that evidence I still can't imagine the thought process of someone who thinks it's gonna be ok to fly in the flight path to Heathrow...

Perhaps a ten year old got hold of his dad's 'toy' and took it for a flight to impress his friends...

And even if a UAV was not involved the headline is there and that is what will be remembered by the man in the street. I think much will be made of this incident.

Regarding the NFZ 'cut'. If it's the same post I read (apologies otherwise) it was a certified pilot wanting to fly within the zone of a UK stadium for legit reasons. He is not an idiot and neither am I. I also have a potential job for a construction business in a stadium with a NFZ.

There will always be rule breakers, the sky is not failing. The UK has very comprehensive and robust laws, I doubt we will see major changes here. Widespread enforcement however is sadly lacking for both breaking the flying laws and non PFAW holders doing commercial work. This is the area I would like to see change in.

Reactions: Ikopta
I call BS. No drone found yet it smashed into the airliner and what, kept flying??

The Pilots association spokesman was full of vitriol and indignation but of course this wouldn't really be about the threat UNMANNED aircraft pose to pilots jobs now would it?

Reactions: GizaDog
What hardly anyone is reporting is that the aircraft was cleared for it's next flight straight after landing. So, can't of been any damage what so ever.

What hardly anyone is reporting is that the aircraft was cleared for it's next flight straight after landing. So, can't of been any damage what so ever.
Its not about damage. I would say the drone would just bounce off but its the news, the headlines.
even a client said today he heard about it. We are in trouble if drones get banned and they will. The red tape involved with a commercial flight will simply not be worth it.

Seen what a bird strike can do to an aircraft on landing, imagine a DJI Intelligent flight battery going through an engine? Stupid, STUPID. I hate to say it, but before buying a UAV etc, you should need to prove insurance, then you have traceability (for the most part). Your sales rates will drop through the floor, but then how will they be effected by a ban?

Reactions: DennisR
Regarding the NFZ 'cut'. If it's the same post I read (apologies otherwise) it was a certified pilot wanting to fly within the zone of a UK stadium for legit reasons. He is not an idiot and neither am I. I also have a potential job for a construction business in a stadium with a NFZ.

There will always be rule breakers, the sky is not failing. The UK has very comprehensive and robust laws, I doubt we will see major changes here. Widespread enforcement however is sadly lacking for both breaking the flying laws and non PFAW holders doing commercial work. This is the area I would like to see change in.
Yep, that was me WARNING Inspire near crash error close to NFZ
These NFZ are an issue for commercial work by valid PFAW holders. For the most part, the NFZ is too big, and random, in the morning before the NFZ, we were film in front of a prison (with permission), and no NFZ was in place. This is one of the areas, along with airports, where they are needed.
Its to the point where I have to question wether the DJI range should even be considered for commercial work, as my legal work is being restricted, not by the CAA, but by a manufacturer.

I may not agree every time someone here gets bent out of shape over a drone flight in a populated area but this guy even pisses me off. I have no tolerance for people flying on an airport approach. I hope they catch the guy. Surprised it took this long to happen though.

Reactions: Ikopta

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido