Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A Drone Hits a Plane

Yep, that was me WARNING Inspire near crash error close to NFZ
These NFZ are an issue for commercial work by valid PFAW holders. For the most part, the NFZ is too big, and random, in the morning before the NFZ, we were film in front of a prison (with permission), and no NFZ was in place. This is one of the areas, along with airports, where they are needed.
Its to the point where I have to question wether the DJI range should even be considered for commercial work, as my legal work is being restricted, not by the CAA, but by a manufacturer.
My sentiments exactly. Manufacturer Nanny zones restricting legitimate work cannot be tolerated in my book.

Reactions: Phatzo and Ikopta
Its not about damage. I would say the drone would just bounce off but its the news, the headlines.
even a client said today he heard about it. We are in trouble if drones get banned and they will. The red tape involved with a commercial flight will simply not be worth it.

"We are in trouble if drones get banned and they will".. Well yes, it is possible - look at 'Hungerford' & firearms. Later the perpetrator of 'Dunblane' used legally held weapons, subsequently the laws of public firearm ownership were further tightened.
Gun crime has dropped steadily in the UK over these years (not saying for these reasons though...)

....All I said was 'Yes, it is possible'.....

2 sides to every story. we have a max flying height of 400m, so why do i see lots of planes or helicopters fly below that? 0-400m is our air space, 400-40,000 is theirs!

2 sides to every story. we have a max flying height of 400m, so why do i see lots of planes or helicopters fly below that? 0-400m is our air space, 400-40,000 is theirs!
You mean ft not M right?

Absolutely not. Helicopters operate from surface to their operational ceiling.
You have emergency services helicopters to consider dont forget as well as other operations.

Incorrect. All aircraft must share the national airspace; there's no such thing as "0-400m is our air space"
Federal Aviation Regulations establish:
Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a)Anywhere.An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b)Over congested areas.Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c)Over other than congested areas.An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d)Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft.If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

Medical helicopters and law enforcement helis fly below 400 ft regularly.

well all pilots need to be aware of drones. if we are all sharing the same space then its fair we can fly in it. i don't recommend near any airports, but for normal flight then everyone has a "duty of care" to avoid one another and keep a look out for others, bit like when your at sea.

UAV pilots do not own below 400ft! Understand the laws before posting crap like that! And altitude for pilots is universally measured in ft.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
i am not bagatelizing this but how sure are they to really be it a drone?
also, it shows that when struck actually nothing really happens... luckiely of course and i also hope it turns out not to be a drone.
if yes the operator should as said above see a big *** charge for doing something reckless like this.

however, imo it shows that the "danger" of a collision is overhyped in some sort. it is dangerous: yes and it should not be taken off the shoulder easaly, a but real threat?
it bounced off probably like a tennis ball hitting the racket you hit it with...

the video is also a negative campaign rather than informative only outlining the bad things.

there will always be dumb as*es like everywhere... 18 dear old get a car for b-day... maybe a rich kid... goes and hits the tree or kills someone...

its a circle.

i repeat and express out that i am not condoning what happened apperantly.

For sure it can be very dangerous, check the bird strike test bellow:

Feel impelled to say this, many including the worlds media will be scouring for information and response to this news, flippant comments made on forums like this could be more damaging to our hobby/livelihood than the actual (if it was a drone) incident itself, remember we are all ambassadors to this thing we do, lets stay professional :)

For sure it can be very dangerous, check the bird strike test bellow:

Here is the result of another test..

******FROM ROLLS-ROYCE STAFF MAGAZINE ******

Scientists at Rolls Royce built a gun specifically to launch dead
chickens at the windshields of airliners and military jets travelling at
maximum speed.

The idea was to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with
airborne fowl in order to test the strength of windshields.

American engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the
windshields of their new high speed trains.

Arrangements were made, and a gun was sent to the American engineers.

When the gun was fired, the engineers stood, shocked, as the chicken
hurtled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed
it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the
engineer's back-rest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the
cabin as if it were a bullet. The horrified Yanks sent Rolls Royce the
disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the
windshield and begged the British scientists for suggestions.

You'll love this......

Rolls Royce responded with a one-line memo:

"Defrost the chicken."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen