Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Adding a GoPro H3

Reaction score
Website
kdactionphoto.smugmug.com
My plan is to add a GoPro h3 to the back of a future I1. I have done this before on a previous rig. I like to get multiple images from a different perspective while shooting projects. I know weight is always a factor when airborne, but anyone have an inspire and do they have some room for lift? Thanks

I have added a GoPro Hero 4 to the back of my I1. I'm sorry that I can't show you a picture as I am on holidays until 10 October. I used the flat connector with the self-adhesive backing and attached this immediately behind the battery on the I1. I then used about 5 of the connectors and made a curve that enabled me to attach the GoPro 4, in its waterproof case, looking over the top of the main body. I also attached a rubber duck. To give you an idea I made a small video with shots taken from the GoPro beginning at 00:50.

I found the I1 performed well as you will see from the video. If you are interested in some more info I will post some images of the rig when I get back home. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 24
I have added a GoPro Hero 4 to the back of my I1. I'm sorry that I can't show you a picture as I am on holidays until 10 October. I used the flat connector with the self-adhesive backing and attached this immediately behind the battery on the I1. I then used about 5 of the connectors and made a curve that enabled me to attach the GoPro 4, in its waterproof case, looking over the top of the main body. I also attached a rubber duck. To give you an idea I made a small video with shots taken from the GoPro beginning at 00:50.

I found the I1 performed well as you will see from the video. If you are interested in some more info I will post some images of the rig when I get back home. Hope this helps.

Dude when that Duck breaks loose and takes out a prop you're going to hate ducks for the rest of your life lol!

Dude when that Duck breaks loose and takes out a prop you're going to hate ducks for the rest of your life lol!
The duck is securely attached at all times except for the "falling off scene". Out of scene is a friend with a long steel pole attached to the duck with fishing line. There were many dry runs and much planning. I love my I1 too much to risk it. If the duck fell off I assumed any contact with a prop was a certain crash.

Thanks for your concern
I see no reason why it would not work for any GoPro. I will post detailed photos in a week.

I have returned from holidays and had a chance to photograph the method I used to attach a Go Pro to the I1. I used one of the adhesive attachment devices supplied with the Go Pro stuck to the back of the I1. I then used a series of connectors to create an arc to get the Go Pro high enough to look down on the I1 (and my duck). I used pliers to ensure each one is firmly tightened and the soft white rubber locking device to ensure security. If the mechanism came adrift in flight it’s bound to bring down the I1. The blades, in landing or flight mode, have sufficient clearance from the Go Pro and mounting device. To help steady the camera, particularly with some speed up, I used sticky tape to apply some tension to the structure. The tape is not structural, and should it break in flight, although it never has, it should still be clear of the props. The images below should help give an understanding of the method I used. There may be other Go Pro attachments that achieve the necessary results, although this method worked for me and was "cost free".

Attachments

• gpmount.jpg
    gpmount.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 39
  • gpmount_1.jpg
    gpmount_1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 35
  • gpmount_2.jpg
    gpmount_2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 35
I have done the same mount, thought about buying the 3d printed one, but then said , hey, I still have GoPro adhesive mounts, Saved some $$, love the versability and when I fly to get video of demolition offshore, I will get a better "Boom" Sound, than editing from someones phone on the barge

Attachments

• DSC04571.JPG
    DSC04571.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC04573.JPG
    DSC04573.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • G0015584.JPG
    G0015584.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
DrunkenCynic
Further to my posts above I obtained the GoPro Gooseneck attachment ($34 approx.) which provides a better way of attaching the GoPro looking over the top of the I1, for another perspective. Might be hard to 3D print one though. ;)

gooseneck.jpg
Safe flying

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frem1962