Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Adding an FPV camera for dual operator

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm presuming if you've used your copter in a dual operator setup you'll be aware of the limitations of only having one camera - that it can't both be looking where the copter is flying and where your camera operator wants to film.

It's a shame this seems to have been missed from the Inspire 1 - perhaps it was a cost consideration, but either way that's where we are. Or is it?

Seems like DSLR media pros worked this out a while ago and hence why they've got this upgrade:
http://www.dslrpros.com/buy-services/dslrpros-inspire-1-fpv-upgrade.html

However, not being in the US and not having $750 to spare, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to recreate this - I've got a micro camera...

A friend suggested this: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMVA1100

Which looks like you could just put the whole thing in the nose cone and drill a hole for the camera.

However, I don't know if you guys have taken the nose off your Inspire, but it looks like there's a spare port there - anyone got any ideas what this is for or if it could power a camera / transmitter / what the voltage might be.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Way2Fst4U
I'd love some info on this too. Have been looking into doing the same. I'm considering building this:

http://flitetest.com/articles/diy-micro-5-8ghz-fpv

I'd fit the cam in the nosecone and the tx and battery at the back.

Would definately be cleaner if cam and tx could run off the Inspire battery, but flight time is important and I'm not sure how much the cam and tx will affect this. I know next to nothing about electronics :D

Would love know more!

That looks pretty spot on - I've decided to step it up a bit and try fitting a go pro on the nose. Not sure how it will affect flight times, but I really like the idea of being able to see and record on my Hero 4 whilst the camera operator is doing his thing.

Been working on a vibration damping mount that essentially fits on the nose of the Inspire, though a little concerned as to what tech is in the nose.

Behind the nose is a bit of tech (circled in orange) that seems to be intentionally separate from what I assume is the main processor (red arrow), though it could be the video link and the bit sticking out could be something related to video transmission, but I genuinely have no idea. Maybe someone here knows. I asked DJI and they just said they don't know and don't recommend taking anything apart.:)

Either way I've worked out a way to mount a go pro / vtx kit in the nose and am going to test it out and see. Conscious of the copter being balanced, I looked at the rear of the copter and asked about the black metal plate - DJI said it has no function - it is just a metal plate - I took it off and can confirm that - I presume it's just a counter weight / protection for the cabling underneath.

It's obvious to me that the Inspire has been designed as a platform for upgrades - I can't wait to see what they release.

In the meantime I've bought a replacement nose so I can mess around with it - plus I'm going to stick a counterweight on the back to balance out the nose cone and see how much it affects flight times. Watch this space!

Attachments

• inspire-1-nose.jpg
    inspire-1-nose.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 384
That looks pretty spot on - I've decided to step it up a bit and try fitting a go pro on the nose. Not sure how it will affect flight times, but I really like the idea of being able to see and record on my Hero 4 whilst the camera operator is doing his thing.

Been working on a vibration damping mount that essentially fits on the nose of the Inspire, though a little concerned as to what tech is in the nose.

Behind the nose is a bit of tech (circled in orange) that seems to be intentionally separate from what I assume is the main processor (red arrow), though it could be the video link and the bit sticking out could be something related to video transmission, but I genuinely have no idea. Maybe someone here knows. I asked DJI and they just said they don't know and don't recommend taking anything apart.:)

Either way I've worked out a way to mount a go pro / vtx kit in the nose and am going to test it out and see. Conscious of the copter being balanced, I looked at the rear of the copter and asked about the black metal plate - DJI said it has no function - it is just a metal plate - I took it off and can confirm that - I presume it's just a counter weight / protection for the cabling underneath.

It's obvious to me that the Inspire has been designed as a platform for upgrades - I can't wait to see what they release.

In the meantime I've bought a replacement nose so I can mess around with it - plus I'm going to stick a counterweight on the back to balance out the nose cone and see how much it affects flight times. Watch this space!
Sounds great Rich! A quick question if you don't mind: How did you remove the nose cone? There are the four external screws which I have removed, and it seems there are brackets at the bottom. Are these attached by screws as well? Afraid to apply too much force and break something.

Sounds great Rich! A quick question if you don't mind: How did you remove the nose cone? There are the four external screws which I have removed, and it seems there are brackets at the bottom. Are these attached by screws as well? Afraid to apply too much force and break something.

Yeah - I found a video online in the states where a guy had taken the nose off. There are two extra screws located above the camera housing.

So, to remove the nose cone you need to take them out first.

To do this, you have to

1. Ease the rubbers out of the rear two dampers that isolate the metal camera chassis from the main body. To do this, stick your thumb underneath the corner and push the rubber out and help it out with your fingers on the top, repeat on both sides.
2. You can then lift the metal camera chassis up.
3. You'll see four silver screws. It's not these!
4. At the very front you'll see two holes either side with sunken black screws with a standard cross head.
5. Undo these.

The nose cone will just pop off then easily with a waggle once you've undone the external screws.

Hope that helps - though I suppose doing this probably invalidates your warranty so your call.

Thanks!
Rich

Thanks Rich!! Appreciate your time and info. I suspected there were other screws but didn't want to screw around too much yet. Still deciding which way to go with regard to adding FPV...

Thanks again for your help!

I spoke to heliguy.com about this yesterday and mentioned the DSLR media pros setup. They had a go at it last night and said they've got a working version, with the transmitter on the back setup on the bench. I don't think it's quite ready for sale yet, but shouldn't be too long.

My parts to make my Gopro mount arrived today so just testing the vtx circuit and going to start cutting the carbon tonight... fingers crossed.

I spoke to heliguy.com about this yesterday and mentioned the DSLR media pros setup. They had a go at it last night and said they've got a working version, with the transmitter on the back setup on the bench. I don't think it's quite ready for sale yet, but shouldn't be too long.

My parts to make my Gopro mount arrived today so just testing the vtx circuit and going to start cutting the carbon tonight... fingers crossed.
How did it go?? I am interested in mounting a gopro behind the nose, to offer a better perspective of the craft when in tight spaces and out of LOS

How did it go?? I am interested in mounting a gopro behind the nose, to offer a better perspective of the craft when in tight spaces and out of LOS
Here is Heliguys blog on their FPV solution. Having visited them at the beginning of the month, I would say they have a little more work to do on packaging the battery and electronics.

you guys, you can easily build your own fpv camera setup for so cheap. All you need is a camera like the 600tvl fat shark (wireless transmitters only transmit 700-750 max tvl anyway unless they're hd like DJI lightbridge), the video transmitter like the 600MW immersion RC, a battery to power the transmitter and camera, and a fpv monitor or goggles. Just mount the camera on the bottom of the nose. I would advise against using the gopro, they're a lot heavier and a pain in the butt to wire up for fpv. Just put an IR blocked 2.5mm fatshark on the 600 tvl camera for the same FOV as the gopro.Everything fat shark and immersion rc is easy and plug and play. trust me, just build your own setup and save cash. Oh and keep your warranty too this way.

Attachments

• 20150601_104347.jpg
    20150601_104347.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 381
  • 20150601_104539.jpg
    20150601_104539.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 365
Last edited:
you guys, you can easily build your own fpv camera setup for so cheap. All you need is a camera like the 600tvl fat shark (wireless transmitters only transmit 700-750 max tvl anyway unless they're hd like DJI lightbridge), the video transmitter like the 600MW immersion RC, a battery to power the transmitter and camera, and a fpv monitor or goggles. Just mount the camera on the bottom of the nose. I would advise against using the gopro, they're a lot heavier and a pain in the butt to wire up for fpv. Just put an IR blocked 2.5mm fatshark on the 600 tvl camera for the same FOV as the gopro.Everything fat shark and immersion rc is easy and plug and play. trust me, just build your own setup and save cash. Oh and keep your warranty too this way.
I definitely love the simplicity of the fat shark route. I guess my only interest in the go Pro would be the superwide 1080 P view that is almost 180° of viewing angle. Could be very useful for getting bearings on how close you are to other objects and it was mounted above you could see the props... I guess it just sounds great in theory.

I definitely love the simplicity of the fat shark route. I guess my only interest in the go Pro would be the superwide 1080 P view that is almost 180° of viewing angle. Could be very useful for getting bearings on how close you are to other objects and it was mounted above you could see the props... I guess it just sounds great in theory.

fat_shark_fln_cmgop_gopro_lens_for_cmos_1406520000000_1035366.jpg
From Fat Shark:
The 2.5mm Lens for 600TVL FPV CMOS Camera from Fat Shark is an upgrade lens that allows you to match the FOV of a GoPro camera with your Fat Shark 600TVL FPV CMOS Camera. This allows for more seamless cuts between RC footage captured with both cameras.

It's under 15 bucks and just screws right in. It's also IR blocked which you want. I also can verify the importance of an OSD that displays Altitude and general info if you're using a super wide lens like I do. It looks like you're a hundred feet when you're 20 feet up, and the earth kinda just rolls in front of you like a big marble. However it definitely did fulfill my need of thinking I needed my added camera to head track.

Get it here

Heres a list for anyone interested in building their own setup like I did

Immersion RC 600mw transmitter 69$
600 tvl fatshark camera 41$
camera mount 6$
wide camera lens (2.5)mm from fatshark 13$
The battery I use 20$ but I had one around already

I use the fatshark dominator HD's for my monitor, but others have shown interest in the black pearl monitor. Just get any 7" fpv monitor you like, but I suggest making sure the built in antennae are far enough apart on top to fit into your stock inspire tablet holder on your controller if you plan on mounting it there instead of a tripod. I still like to keep the pilot app open in the maps screen on a device like a cell phone so that's where the tripod would come in handy for the other fpv monitor. Over all you're so much cheaper than paying to have this all installed by a company that will void your warranty

View attachment 2623
From Fat Shark:
The 2.5mm Lens for 600TVL FPV CMOS Camera from Fat Shark is an upgrade lens that allows you to match the FOV of a GoPro camera with your Fat Shark 600TVL FPV CMOS Camera. This allows for more seamless cuts between RC footage captured with both cameras.

It's under 15 bucks and just screws right in. It's also IR blocked which you want. I also can verify the importance of an OSD that displays Altitude and general info if you're using a super wide lens like I do. It looks like you're a hundred feet when you're 20 feet up, and the earth kinda just rolls in front of you like a big marble. However it definitely did fulfill my need of thinking I needed my added camera to head track.

Get it here
Will this set up work with HeadPlays?

Heres a list for anyone interested in building their own setup like I did

Immersion RC 600mw transmitter 69$
600 tvl fatshark camera 41$
camera mount 6$
wide camera lens (2.5)mm from fatshark 13$
The battery I use 20$ but I had one around already

I use the fatshark dominator HD's for my monitor, but others have shown interest in the black pearl monitor. Just get any 7" fpv monitor you like, but I suggest making sure the built in antennae are far enough apart on top to fit into your stock inspire tablet holder on your controller if you plan on mounting it there instead of a tripod. I still like to keep the pilot app open in the maps screen on a device like a cell phone so that's where the tripod would come in handy for the other fpv monitor. Over all you're so much cheaper than paying to have this all installed by a company that will void your warranty
Can you provide wiring/assembly instructions?

Reactions: Obese1konobe
Looks like a great setup and thanks for sharing. Just out of curiosity and judging by the picture it looks as though the antenna might "get in the shot" at times if your camera operator shoots behind. Anyway around this?

Looks like a great setup and thanks for sharing. Just out of curiosity and judging by the picture it looks as though the antenna might "get in the shot" at times if your camera operator shoots behind. Anyway around this?
Thank you, yea it would get in the shots, but then again so does the rear landing gear because I fly pretty hard due to what I'm usually filming. So I've learned to fly nose in at what I'm filming and due to the fpv camera anyways. It took a lot of practice being efficient in flight in every direction but the inspire handles everything the same. It's so awesome to fly I think it's an awesome quad when you crank the heli gains up a little

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thank you, yea it would get in the shots, but then again so does the rear landing gear because I fly pretty hard due to what I'm usually filming. So I've learned to fly nose in at what I'm filming and due to the fpv camera anyways. It took a lot of practice being efficient in flight in every direction but the inspire handles everything the same. It's so awesome to fly I think it's an awesome quad when you crank the heli gains up a little

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Thanks @Soflms

Hey is there any update on using a FPV camera? It's been a while since anyone has posted and I'd love to be able to use one on my Inspire. What are the best solutions you have found to work well? Also how much distance do you get a good connection with the FPV camera and receiver?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips