Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Adding DJI Mavic Pro to existing CAA PFAW?

Reaction score
The DJI Mavic Pro looks like being a useful bit of kit and a valuable addition to the the Inspire 1 for those occasions when a smaller UAV would be more appropriate. The Inspire 1 can be quite a beast to lug across fields or to operate in certain situations.

I started flying with a DJI Phantom 2 and still miss the agility and nippiness that a smaller UAV provides.

Anybody else interested in the Mavic?

What steps do I need to carry out in order to add this new UAV to my existing CAA PFAW?

The DJI Mavic Pro looks like being a useful bit of kit and a valuable addition to the the Inspire 1 for those occasions when a smaller UAV would be more appropriate. The Inspire 1 can be quite a beast to lug across fields or to operate in certain situations.

I started flying with a DJI Phantom 2 and still miss the agility and nippiness that a smaller UAV provides.

What steps do I need to carry out in order to add this new UAV to my existing CAA PFAW?
Once you have it, you just need to add the specs into a separate table in your ops manual like you did for your Inspire including MTOM (which is unbelievably 784g!!!!) - serial number and all the usual etc etc.
You then need to make specific checklists pertinent to that aircraft together with the appropriate emergency procedures (if they are different to your Inspire).
Then make a revision note of your ops manual (v3 or v4 or whatever) and you do not need to submit until your next SRG 1320 renewal with the CAA.
You will also need to make a note that only one UAV will be airborne at any one time (assuming that's the case) and you will need to add the aircraft to your fleet with your insurance company.
Job done! :)

In some countries less than 1kg means no OPS manual, no training, just registration and insurance........
That's about the biggest issue I have with it. I do hope that the 7km limit is just theoretical talk and that DJI restricts that.

In some countries less than 1kg means no OPS manual, no training, just registration and insurance........
That's about the biggest issue I have with it. I do hope that the 7km limit is just theoretical talk and that DJI restricts that.
It is already restricted in Europe - down to 20dbm so the same as the Inspire.

Well nothing changes faster than the 'drone regulations' (at least in our country) so I'm sure there will be new rules soon for the sub 1kg category. Our CAA clearly never expected that these little toys would become this capable so soon.

Once you have it, you just need to add the specs into a separate table in your ops manual like you did for your Inspire including MTOM (which is unbelievably 784g!!!!) - serial number and all the usual etc etc.
You then need to make specific checklists pertinent to that aircraft together with the appropriate emergency procedures (if they are different to your Inspire).
Then make a revision note of your ops manual (v3 or v4 or whatever) and you do not need to submit until your next SRG 1320 renewal with the CAA.
You will also need to make a note that only one UAV will be airborne at any one time (assuming that's the case) and you will need to add the aircraft to your fleet with your insurance company.
Job done! :)

Hey, many thanks editor - for a swift and succinct reply

Reactions: zulu

I don't know. Have you seen examples of the video from it? It's not as good as the X3, which is barely ok.

I don't know. Have you seen examples of the video from it? It's not as good as the X3, which is barely ok.
I think the problem is that the Mavic camera actually needs to be focussed unlike the x3.
I'm not sure all the numpties that have got hold of one so far have any clue it is a variable focus lens.
Having said that, you're right in that the quality isn't stellar bug then it's a DJI designed and built camera so it's always going to be sub par.

Sure it's not as good as a larger system but should be very adequate for short sequences shot in situations where the larger drones are simply too big. I work predominantly within the construction industry and can see lots of applications for the little beasty. ( it makes pretty annoying higher pitch whiney sound )

Here's a pretty fair indication of the untreated video quality.

Apart from the X5R all of the DJI camera systems are really let down by the really low bitrate. Using DJI Kit is a total compromise between ease of system use and cost over the quality you get with larger UAVs where you can strap sensible cameras on.

Back on topic please guys - this one is about adding a Mavic to a UK PFAW/PfCO

Thanks.

I thought the actual PFAW/PFCO is just weight restriction, not airframe specific, so that doesn't need to be updated. Maybe a new photo to the CAA, but I don't think they have the facility/time/process to do this at the moment. The main thing would be, as said above to change your Ops manual accordingly in case something goes wrong etc. Big one is to inform the Insurance, and maybe another premium. But You cant fly both at the same time can you????

I've just had a quote to add the DJI Mavic Pro to my existing insurance ( Coverdrone) and for the approx value of £1,000 it's an additional £45. So not too bad really.

Just a few additional review links for those interested in DJI Mavic Pro. These are both by established DOPs and on the whole are positive about the wee beastie mainly because of the form factor, which is my primary interest.

Interestingly Phillip Bloom mentions that the DJI Mavic Pro does not have ATTI mode - could this be correct and if so might it mean that the Mavic would not be eligible to be used professionally? There have been a few occasions when I've switched to ATTI to regain control, and real pilots never use anything else!

Video review of the DJI Mavic Pro

DJI Mavic Pro review – Is it the perfect drone for the occasional flyer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez