Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advice on flying in a tunnel

Reaction score
I have received an initial enquiry to shoot some footage descending down a large shaft and into an underground tunnel (in the UK) but as yet don't have any specifics on diameter, construction, location, etc. I've asked for more information but in the meantime would welcome advice from anyone that may have done this.

- Should I even consider it ???
- What is the minimum diameter for safe flying (4m?)
- Flight mode: I'm thinking Atti as P-Opti probably wouldn't work in that environment anyway
- Likely to be lots of steel buried in the walls so another reason to fly Atti
- Is failsafe RTH automatically disabled if no home-point can be set?

Also, where does this fit with the CAA regulations? I've never really thought about this before but do they apply when flying a drone 'indoors' which in effect is what I'd be doing? I have my CAA PFAW.

Appreciate any helpful comments.

The BBC did something similar with a Phantom filming in the London Cross-Rail shaft and tunnels. I would never consider risking an Inspire but a lighter Phantom with prop guards might work. You could only consider ATTI but tunnels are notorious for strong drafts that can appear from nowhere. Also consider what lighting is available. Unless it is floodlight the won't be enough light for anything usable.

See

- actual report
- how to fly in tunnels

Last edited:
When I got my first Vision I decided to be a smart azz and fly it under my boat dock in GPS mode. Had the thing like 2 days. Lost signal (metal roof) and it drifted into one of the roof braces and BAM...in the lake 40' of water. Dumb move on my part. At least nobody was around to witness my embarrassment. LOL...Beware of flying under structure.

Assuming size of tunnels is not too small...
Consider a Matrice 100 with a properly set up Guidance attachment...
Just a suggestion... plenty of videos online of them flying in parking garages and crowded warehouses...

The BBC did something similar with a Phantom filming in the London Cross-Rail shaft and tunnels. I would never consider risking an Inspire but a lighter Phantom with prop guards might work. You could only consider ATTI but tunnels are notorious for strong drafts that can appear from nowhere. Also consider what lighting is available. Unless it is floodlight the won't be enough light for anything usable.

See

- actual report
- how to fly in tunnels
Thanks @Scotflieger , I've seen the Crossrail tunnel videos and think that this job could well be something similar. Note your point about Phantom v Inspire. I've raised the issue of lighting and drafts so will see what they come back with.

Any thoughts on how or if CAA regulations about distances apply when flying 'indoors' ? I can't really see that they do because we wouldn't be flying in 'airspace'. I've tried Googling this but nothing coming up.

Any thoughts on how or if CAA regulations about distances apply when flying 'indoors' ? I can't really see that they do because we wouldn't be flying in 'airspace'. I've tried Googling this but nothing coming up.
Unless you fly in 'free air' or UK Airspace (above ground level) then the CAA regulations do not apply. However, you will come under normal health and safety rules. It will come down to a strong risk assessment and agreement with the site operators.

See

- actual report
- how to fly in tunnels
The only problem with Simon is he is talking about descending and I forsee a damaged Inspire.
But I like the video's.:cool:

I flew in the crossrail tunnels too last year for a channel 4 series - Drones in Forbidden Zones
Flying an X8 rig (substantially bigger than the I1), but it handled fine in the tunnels of various diameters (smallest being about 3 meters). I was expecting problems with turbulence but as it was flying dead central, there weren't any issues.
And yes, like you said Atti all the way and it had no problems.
Set your failsafe to auto land (not return to home).

Hope that helps

Reactions: Scotflieger
I flew in the crossrail tunnels too last year for a channel 4 series - Drones in Forbidden Zones
Flying an X8 rig (substantially bigger than the I1), but it handled fine in the tunnels of various diameters (smallest being about 3 meters). I was expecting problems with turbulence but as it was flying dead central, there weren't any issues.
And yes, like you said Atti all the way and it had no problems.
Set your failsafe to auto land (not return to home).

Hope that helps
Wow some amazing footage - can't have been easy with pillars, cables and scaffolding everywhere.
Useful information thanks.

In my opinion, this is an example of using a drone just to use a drone. There are other ways to get that video inside a tunnel. I could understand if there were obstruction on the ground, but in the video above, I saw clear pathways on the ground. What I've done in these types of situations is to simply mount my drone on a tripod rig and carry it, or set it on a dolly of some kind.

Osmo, maybe mounted to a pole, would definitely be better suited to this. But if you don't have an Osmo, consider mounting your AC (without props installed) on a platform on a dolly.

You might even think about a Gopro mounted to a tripod extention using a dolly. I've used a $59 pull cart as a dolly before and it works great, combined with the Gopro fisheye, and it will be just as stable.

In my opinion, this is an example of using a drone just to use a drone. There are other ways to get that video inside a tunnel. I could understand if there were obstruction on the ground, but in the video above, I saw clear pathways on the ground. What I've done in these types of situations is to simply mount my drone on a tripod rig and carry it, or set it on a dolly of some kind.

Osmo, maybe mounted to a pole, would definitely be better suited to this. But if you don't have an Osmo, consider mounting your AC (without props installed) on a platform on a dolly.

You might even think about a Gopro mounted to a tripod extention using a dolly. I've used a $59 pull cart as a dolly before and it works great, combined with the Gopro fisheye, and it will be just as stable.
Yes as somebody else suggested, an Osmo may be the way to go. I'm still waiting for the client to get back to me with details on the tunnel but unfortunately it's through a third party. I'll try and have a 1:1 conversation to explore the options.

Thanks for your comments.

Yes as somebody else suggested, an Osmo may be the way to go. I'm still waiting for the client to get back to me with details on the tunnel but unfortunately it's through a third party. I'll try and have a 1:1 conversation to explore the options.

Thanks for your comments.
Good luck Simon

I couldn't agree with you more Steve. There were plenty of shots that we filmed in that episode that could have been done better and safer without the use of the drone but like you said, we were 'using a drone just to use a drone', it was the main selling point of the series.

Reactions: Phatzo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanneStoc