Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advice: sell inspire 1 for phantom 3 pro?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice, which I think is possibly unique to my situation, so I apologise if this has been covered loads of times before (I have had a look).

I have a dual controller Inspire 1, but don't use it very much. I took it on holiday and got some lovely photos recently which re-kindled my interest, (my preferred area) and have shot some fun watersports, but generally it sits around doing nothing. Not entirely sure what it's worth, but it must be around £2,000 ish.

I'm about to go to Australia over Christmas, to some beautiful parts of the world, and I'm considering taking it out with me for more photography. It is big but i have a generous luggage allowance. BUT I'm wondering if it would be better to sell the Inspire and get a Phantom 3 Pro or Advanced (whichever is the better one), as it will be smaller, lighter, more portable, better battery, and for what I'm doing, equivalently capable i think.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I'm imagining that having the P3 in a rucksack that I can lug around with me, rather than the Inspire in a hard case which really is not compatible with hiking too well, might be a better option.

It seems the two compare pretty equivalently for moderate usage, and I can't see how I'd ever justify an x5r camera to go on it, so the inspire is starting to look a bit too professional for me. I just don't use it enough to need higher quality sensor. I've also realised that i'm simply too busy to try and make a professional go at doing aerial photography, either by selling prints or video, as I'm too busy, and there are far too many people with much more free time and desire already doing it in my area. I think I'm better off keeping this as an interest, rather than going for a professional license, so therefore cost of equipment is always going to be a limiting factor. Therefore is the Phantom a better tool for me?

am sure this is something people have discussed before, but if anyone can help me with:

• anyone here own both, and which do they use more, and what for?
  • for what I'm doing, is the lack of pannable camera, and second control likely to be a problem?
  • Is the camera the same/equivalent, so that I can still do HDR, etc?
  • Is range much less on the P3?
  • Is handling much worse on the P3?
thanks again, and in advance. I'm interested to hear what people think.

cheers, Richard

If you flew the Inspire more. I would say keep it and add a P3 to the hangar. But if your really never using it, then I would sell it and get a P3. There's pros and cons to both. One major factor of Inspire 1 is size and weight, but flies a little smoother. The P3 doesn't fly as stable. (in my opinion )
Either way, they are both great pieces of tech and don't think you could go wrong with either

Reactions: Meta4
Hi Richard,

I own both, firstly starting with the P3, then upgrading to the inspire. The only reason for me to go with the inspire is fo

A) It looks more professional to clients
B) detachable payload (thermal)

The answers to your questions (or my opinion);

You are right, the ease of the phantom is far more appealing, if I could use that when travelling for a car journey, let alone to Australia, I would always pack the phantom.

Pannable camera is not an issue at all in my opinion. You have a scroll button to move it up and down (horizontal to vertical) and when you want to move side to side, you simply move the craft itself. With a little practice, you can get beautifully smooth video shots. If its just pictures you want, you wouldnt even need to practice.

I think the specs are exactly the same on both cameras, both 4K, both HDR capable. If there is a difference, I haven't noticed it.

Range should not be an issue, I have had my phantom further away from me than I really should have, and it could still go further.

"Is handling worse on the P3?" Quite the contrary, in my experience the phantom is more nimble and more responsive, I am not saying the inspire isn't, but its physics. what stops quicker, a bus or a mini? I have had my P3 in sea caves flying solely with the on screen display and well out of my line of sight, something I wouldn't dare do with the inspire.

At the end of the day, its down to user preference. I think your best bet would be to try contact someone close who owns one and try it out yourself.

If I can use the phantom, I always will, you can chuck it in a bag and throw it over your shoulder. With less moving parts, its a lot less to worry about when carting about than the inspire. I have had my best photos from the P3, not because of its ability, but because its in the right place at the right time more often. I would liken it to keeping your digital camera in your pocket, and your fancy DSLR for special occasions like Christmas or weddings, apart from in this case, they both shoot the same picture anyway.

One more thing to remember is when flying, baggage handlers can sometimes put extra effort into messing up your stuff. With the phantom, you can easily take it on as hand luggage, double check your airlines policy on Li-Po batteries first before taking this as gospel.

I say If possible, have both! If not, you could always take your 2k worth from your sale and purchase a new P3, great carry case, extra batteries, extra memory cards and a host of other gear and have some spending money left over to trade to ozzy dollars.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: online421
Hi Richard

I am a retired professional photographer and I have both. An Inspire 1 and a P3Pro purchased later. I have the P3 in a soft back back and I have only flown my Inspire 3 or 4 times since purchasing the P3.

The P3 is so portable in comparison and I can take it to places impossible to get with the Inspire providing far more flying opportunities. I cannot tell the difference in the video quality and using ground station apps such as Litchi allows me to yaw the aircraft automatically. I suppose I should sell the Inspire but it's such an iconic aircraft I cannot bare to part with it.

I am also visiting Australia in January and my P3 will be going with me!

thank you both. that's very helpful. Essentially, this is an issue between having the lovely, beautiful Inspire, which is a joy to fly, or the adaptable portable P3, which is, as you say, more likely to be in the right place at the right time. And also potentially less 'showy' to get out on a beach or whatever.

When i bought the Inspire, i was coming from a homemade kit, which a telemetry TX that was unbelievably basic. The tech in the inspire - lightbridge, app, battery tech, camera control etc, sold it to me, and the P2 was still a way behind in rangem, downlink and photo image quality. But now the inspire and phantom 3, to all intents and purposes are the same in much of that. The only real difference is the slightly different flight dynamics, and the increased professionalism of the Inspire. As I've said, once pro status comes into the equation then the different in price is less of an issue, and as you say, you'd probably have both. I don't think I really need an Inspire's extra payload or resistance to wind - although it is reassuring to see how stable it is.

For a trip to Oz there is absolutely no question - the Phantom 3 is a better bet. I can stick it in the car, carry it to the beach on my back and not care at all if I don't even use it. No-one will even care. If i lug the Inspire around all day I'll know about it, and then there is pressure to choose in advance whether to bring it.

I'm leaning towards the P3 but I'd be so sad to see the Inspire go. A very tough decision.

The best advise I can offer is; any shot you can get with the Inspire X3 or X5 I can get with the Phantom 3 Pro as well.

The basic difference in the P3 is the fact you don't have retractable gear - however you can get the same shot with the P3 but in some instances you'll have to work a bit harder. As an example, if you're doing a moving lead shot and the machine is ahead of the subject, you'll have to fly backwards to get the shot - with the Inspire, you can just raise the gear - point the camera aft and just fly normally.

Another advantage of the P3 is the cost - at 1/3 of that of the Inspire, you'll actually fly it better because of the fact you'll feel less intimidated. Any project that can be flown on the P3 - that's the machine I'll use. Another advantage is the size - you'll raise less attention and travel a lot easier with the P3.

this forum is amazing. used to be on here all the time, and I miss the helpful contributions.

Seems to me the main thing is that, unless doing dual operator (which is pushing things very much into the pro domain), the phantom 3 comes so close to the Inspire 1 that there's near enough no difference. the main reason I can see for not getting rid of the I1 is that we LOVE it. It truly is an amazing machine to look at and use.

BUT, given I couldn't possibly justify owning both for the amount I use them, the signs are pointing to me being better off with a P3 really.

Richard there is a another hidden advantage for the Inspire - if you're doing an introduction to a client the Inspire does have a more professional look the the P3 and could land you a job if you're competing with other P pilots.

My advise to you is; if you're planning on getting serious, add the P3 to your fleet and use it as much as you can, also if you get a P3 fly the hell out of it and try to burn 2-4 batteries a day during practice sessions - the problem with drones today is everyone is expecting the machine to do the shoot, you'll find that any serious work the pilot still has to do the flying. Also practice looking at the monitor and force yourself to get shots framed up while in the air, you'll find 1 pilot can the same results as two using some planning flying techniques.

On every occasion I tried to use the second pilot for the camera on my Inspire it was almost worthless because I knew the shot I wanted and he didn't - we were always out of sync, while I'm sure it works for some guys - for me the second trans on the Inspire is a dead issue regardless of the FAA telling everyone they can't use the camera - isn't the camera the whole reason we're flying?

Reactions: Skyvisionmedia
Think I've come to the conclusion that my best approach is to buy the P3p and keep the Inspire for now, and then after my Australia trip, decide which it is that I think i'll prefer to keep.

There's no doubting the P3 is quite an awesome piece of kit, and I will enjoy how small it is. But I do keep seeing footage of the P3 with blades in the shot, which I can't stand.

What's clear is that, alongside the Autopilot App, these machines are quite amazingly powerful. The app seems to get around some of my worries with the P3 of not being able to point the camera - as it can control yaw, or fly the P3 whilst I control the camera with a joystick. It is an even more impressive package of tools on the Inspire, where the camera is really liberated for the single flyer.

I'll report back with how I get on - not doubt with something listed in the classifieds to accompany it. (Unless I manage to keep both ;))

My $0.02:

Inspire 1 - for all sites that can be accessed by motor vehicle
Phantom 3 - for any sites that can only be accessed on foot and/or requires a backpack
Osmo - for getting video en route to sites and/or close-up video of objects that would be otherwise struck with I1/P3 props in flight :D

Reactions: Skyvisionmedia
Think I've come to the conclusion that my best approach is to buy the P3p and keep the Inspire for now, and then after my Australia trip, decide which it is that I think i'll prefer to keep.

There's no doubting the P3 is quite an awesome piece of kit, and I will enjoy how small it is. But I do keep seeing footage of the P3 with blades in the shot, which I can't stand.

What's clear is that, alongside the Autopilot App, these machines are quite amazingly powerful. The app seems to get around some of my worries with the P3 of not being able to point the camera - as it can control yaw, or fly the P3 whilst I control the camera with a joystick. It is an even more impressive package of tools on the Inspire, where the camera is really liberated for the single flyer.

I'll report back with how I get on - not doubt with something listed in the classifieds to accompany it. (Unless I manage to keep both ;))

Glad you have decided on the P3, I'm positive you will love it.

With regards to the props in shot; If you are shooting film, then you will get this if you are travelling forward at full speed. Reduce the throttle and the props will level out and disappear from view :)

If I were you I will buy the P3P and then decide if you want to sell the I1... I like the portability of the P3P, you can easily take it with you when travelling.

you probably end up keeping both! life is short, enjoy it!

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice, which I think is possibly unique to my situation, so I apologise if this has been covered loads of times before (I have had a look).

I have a dual controller Inspire 1, but don't use it very much. I took it on holiday and got some lovely photos recently which re-kindled my interest, (my preferred area) and have shot some fun watersports, but generally it sits around doing nothing. Not entirely sure what it's worth, but it must be around £2,000 ish.

I'm about to go to Australia over Christmas, to some beautiful parts of the world, and I'm considering taking it out with me for more photography. It is big but i have a generous luggage allowance. BUT I'm wondering if it would be better to sell the Inspire and get a Phantom 3 Pro or Advanced (whichever is the better one), as it will be smaller, lighter, more portable, better battery, and for what I'm doing, equivalently capable i think.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I'm imagining that having the P3 in a rucksack that I can lug around with me, rather than the Inspire in a hard case which really is not compatible with hiking too well, might be a better option.

It seems the two compare pretty equivalently for moderate usage, and I can't see how I'd ever justify an x5r camera to go on it, so the inspire is starting to look a bit too professional for me. I just don't use it enough to need higher quality sensor. I've also realised that i'm simply too busy to try and make a professional go at doing aerial photography, either by selling prints or video, as I'm too busy, and there are far too many people with much more free time and desire already doing it in my area. I think I'm better off keeping this as an interest, rather than going for a professional license, so therefore cost of equipment is always going to be a limiting factor. Therefore is the Phantom a better tool for me?

am sure this is something people have discussed before, but if anyone can help me with:

• anyone here own both, and which do they use more, and what for?
  • for what I'm doing, is the lack of pannable camera, and second control likely to be a problem?
  • Is the camera the same/equivalent, so that I can still do HDR, etc?
  • Is range much less on the P3?
  • Is handling much worse on the P3?
thanks again, and in advance. I'm interested to hear what people think.

cheers, Richard
with all the new auto pilot apps such as airnest and fpv camera mission planner you really no longer need a 360 deg gimbal anymore. if i could do it over again i get p3 pro

I would keep the Inspire and add a Phantom Professional to give you the best of both. We have two Inspires and one Phantom Pro. Each has it's uses and having both gives us plenty of flexibility.
Tammy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido