Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Airport Tower Contact: Asking for permission or merely informing

Contact the affected airport control tower when operating within 5 miles, absolutely. However when you use the FAA's own B4UFLY application downloaded to your cellphone you quickly find that the the feds have managed to mark with a 5 mile circle every single manned flight launching point that has ever been. This includes rarely used ultralight strips, glider ports, corporate and public parking lot and roof top helipads, private ranch and farm landing strips etc. With not a clue as to whom should be contacted or phone number. Very discouraging but maybe thats the intention.

Contact the affected airport control tower when operating within 5 miles, absolutely. However when you use the FAA's own B4UFLY application downloaded to your cellphone you quickly find that the the feds have managed to mark with a 5 mile circle every single manned flight launching point that has ever been. This includes rarely used ultralight strips, glider ports, corporate and public parking lot and roof top helipads, private ranch and farm landing strips etc. With not a clue as to whom should be contacted or phone number. Very discouraging but maybe thats the intention.
have you seen the GEO SYSTEM on the DJI site? DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
It is still in BETA testing I believe , but the firmware is there to download. I believe it says that most of the areas that you mentioned are "warning zones" and you do not need to notify. If it means you don't have to notify with the geo-system? I don't know.
I have read all the info that is supplied with the system and it looks as though it makes it easy to fly in certain areas, but I don't know if there are any features left out of the geo-system beta firmware. If anyone knows please share the information.

have you seen the GEO SYSTEM on the DJI site? DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
It is still in BETA testing I believe , but the firmware is there to download. I believe it says that most of the areas that you mentioned are "warning zones" and you do not need to notify. If it means you don't have to notify with the geo-system? I don't know.
I have read all the info that is supplied with the system and it looks as though it makes it easy to fly in certain areas, but I don't know if there are any features left out of the geo-system beta firmware. If anyone knows please share the information.
No - the GeoFence facility does most definitely NOT replace the permissions required or enforced for use of the NAS.
GeoFence is purely a nanny system thought up by DJI. It has no standing in law or anything else.
Whether your aircraft tells you it is safe to fly or allows you to take off in a given area is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever and it is up to the operator and the operator alone to satisfy themself that the flight is both safe and legal to make.

Reactions: STClassic01
No - the GeoFence facility does most definitely NOT replace the permissions required or enforced for use of the NAS.
GeoFence is purely a nanny system thought up by DJI. It has no standing in law or anything else.
Whether your aircraft tells you it is safe to fly or allows you to take off in a given area is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever and it is up to the operator and the operator alone to satisfy themself that the flight is both safe and legal to make.
that's what I was unsure about. I thought it allow allow you to fly in certain areas but it was still the operators responsibility to notify the proper authorities. As for the enhanced warning zones geo system mentions, aren't those the zones that do not need notification? and do you keep all functions of the I1 with the beta firmware?

DJI Is a Chinese maker of drones. They do not overrule FAA regulations.

If you are not a certificated pilot then you can not fly within the 5NM radius. Commercially or publicly, but you can as a hobbiest with approval.

Why should a hobbyist be allowed within that range and not a money earning flyer, who probably knows how to fly properly and responsibly?
Should be the other way around.

Why should a hobbyist be allowed within that range and not a money earning flyer, who probably knows how to fly properly and responsibly?
Should be the other way around.
Cause attempted drone laws are brought about by whiny commercial pilots of full size aircraft who realize uavs are gonna destroy their cash cow, that's the only reason there is such a big stink over uavs, no one else cares.

When I contacted a local airport about a hobby flight I was given the attached document outlining the requirements to fly within 5 miles of the airport. I was told to call the tower prior to the flight and the “The Tower Manager will have the final approval”.

Attachments

• N7210 886_GENOT_FINAL_AC_91-57A.pdf
    17.2 KB · Views: 29
Yes, the same way an airline pilot can fly a commercial aircraft for work and fly a personal aircraft for pleasure.
You must meet the FAA definition of a hobbyist flight to fly as a hobbyist.

Yes, the same way an airline pilot can fly a commercial aircraft for work and fly a personal aircraft for pleasure.

That's at the heart of the question. If that same pilot was flying an Airbus 330 for pleasure, how would it go over with the FAA?

You fly your Inspire for work. You fly your Inspire for pleasure. How is anyone supposed to know the difference?

The FAA created different rules for Hobbyist flights and for Commercial flights. If you are flying as a hobbyist then you do not have to register your flight but if you are within 5 miles of an airport you need to contact the ATC for that airport (see the file I posted previously for the information they want). If you are flying a Commercial flight you will need a COA.

I believe you are correct you will need both the blanket COA and a letter from airport management or apply for a new COA. I have heard through this site that some airports are refusing to issue a letter of agreement and are referring requestors to the FAA site to apply for a new COA (per the recommendation in document I posted).

I see your point. I only operate near uncontrolled airports so far they have been very cooperative. This is all new, even for the FAA people out in the field. Heck I can get two different opinions from the FAA UAS Integration Office on the same day!
Bottom line is that you have to follow the local FAA people's directions if we want to fly.

Reactions: frstbubble

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips