Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

AIRR proposed rules (goodbye 333's, hello BLOS)

As I see it the Inspire 1 in all its variants will not qualify for recreational use as it's more than 3 pounds -- no black dot for small/large (>3 pounds) until you get down to the highest level commercial registrations of cat 3 and cat 4. If that's a correct interpretation then those of us with Inspires will need to get certified as cat 3 or cat 4 in order to fly at all. Am I missing something here?

Brian

As I see it the Inspire 1 in all its variants will not qualify for recreational use as it's more than 3 pounds -- no black dot for small/large (>3 pounds) until you get down to the highest level commercial registrations of cat 3 and cat 4. If that's a correct interpretation then those of us with Inspires will need to get certified as cat 3 or cat 4 in order to fly at all. Am I missing something here?

Brian

Good observation. I'm asking in the UAV Legal forum.

Reactions: SixtyMike

Brian
This is tuff to figure out. For this chart to make sense to me, there should be a dot on the first line under the Inspire column (greater than 3). Otherwise, it looks like the Inspire can only be used for commercial applications, which is ridiculous. That said, then if I use it for commercial use, then the category 3 rules apply. But what if I use it for search and rescue on a volunteer basis (no pay). Can I do it without a category 3 license? I live in a small town and I have a deal with the fire chief that if he needs to inspect a grass fire, for instance, he can call me. This chart seems to indicate that I couldn't do that any longer.

Is that how others see it?

Reactions: SixtyMike
This is tuff to figure out. For this chart to make sense to me, there should be a dot on the first line under the Inspire column (greater than 3). Otherwise, it looks like the Inspire can only be used for commercial applications, which is ridiculous. That said, then if I use it for commercial use, then the category 3 rules apply. But what if I use it for search and rescue on a volunteer basis (no pay). Can I do it without a category 3 license? I live in a small town and I have a deal with the fire chief that if he needs to inspect a grass fire, for instance, he can call me. This chart seems to indicate that I couldn't do that any longer.

Is that how others see it?
That's how it appears to me as well. No more recreational / hobbyist flights with an Inspire.

I would be ok with having some sort of "certification/training" requirements as a hobbyist to operate UAS above a certain weight limit. Call it a "Private UAS License" issued by the FAA after taking (only) a written test. I realize this idea flies in the face of Section 336 (P.L 112-95), but we as a community need to regulate ourselves and show the general public that we are responsible operators.
If we don't, others will do it for us and we won't like the outcome.

From Peter Sachs who is pretty familiar with the proposed legislation:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455721445.508482.jpg

And

"I think you mean greater than 4.4 lbs. But as long as it's under 55 lbs, the recreational operations are covered by 336 (or the new version of 336 if the AIRR Act passes with it as part of it)."

Doubtful the 333 is going away anytime soon. First they have to transition this in (1 year?) and then they need to give 333 holders time to transition as well (another year?).

It makes no sense to have a 333 then,.... just wait for the 107. cant see consideration not being givin to those that are going the 333 route. Its kinda like having a pilots license to control a rig under 10lbs. Its just the way the rules role.

It makes no sense to have a 333 then,.... just wait for the 107. cant see consideration not being givin to those that are going the 333 route. Its kinda like having a pilots license to control a rig under 10lbs. Its just the way the rules role.

I agree. I filed for my 333 just in case, for some strange reason, 107 does not happen (which it will mid year), I would at least gone through the long tedious 333 suck feast. Then after that I can burn that 333.

Trust me when I say I am frustrated for all of us. We have spent thousands to work carefully and follow rules to start a business in commercial AP. We have and are jumping through these hoops to try and make some money and others happy with images of their property and yet we are being held hostage by unreasonable altitiude requirements. Im not talking about over 400' or even 200' which we can work with, but this 500' from buildings, structures and yes people. Im not going to fly 10' over a crowd for that matter but these rules have to be reasonable to perform and I think right now they are not. Sorry my little rant...:)

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly36