Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Another CAA Ops Manual Help Request

Reaction score
Website
www.raycrowe.co.uk
I would really appreciate any guidance on the following issue. I have sent this same query to the CAA by e-mail only to receive an instant reply stating they will not reply to individual e-mails due to being inundated with work in the UAS department. Hopefully, one of you learned aerialists will be able to assist..........Whilst I was reviewing my application for my PFAW, I noticed that under the heading of "Grant of an SUA Permission - Critical Elements", on line 1, page 46 of the latest edition of CAP 722, para 4.9, it states "....in their operations manual (Vol 1 of the UAS OSC)".
However, I have just about completed my Company Operations Manual as per the template provided on the CAA website (www.caa.co.uk/uas). This is a different template from the UAS OSC template.
The two referenced templates have a completely different layout. Yes, they do effectively contain the same information but which Ops Manual template should I be using for my application, the Vol 1 of the UAS OSC (CAP 722, Appendix B) or the one in the weblink from CAP 722, page 43 - www.caa.co.uk/uas - Operations Manual template?

I would really appreciate any guidance on the following issue. I have sent this same query to the CAA by e-mail only to receive an instant reply stating they will not reply to individual e-mails due to being inundated with work in the UAS department. Hopefully, one of you learned aerialists will be able to assist..........Whilst I was reviewing my application for my PFAW, I noticed that under the heading of "Grant of an SUA Permission - Critical Elements", on line 1, page 46 of the latest edition of CAP 722, para 4.9, it states "....in their operations manual (Vol 1 of the UAS OSC)".
However, I have just about completed my Company Operations Manual as per the template provided on the CAA website (www.caa.co.uk/uas). This is a different template from the UAS OSC template.
The two referenced templates have a completely different layout. Yes, they do effectively contain the same information but which Ops Manual template should I be using for my application, the Vol 1 of the UAS OSC (CAP 722, Appendix B) or the one in the weblink from CAP 722, page 43 - www.caa.co.uk/uas - Operations Manual template?
It really doesn't matter as it is YOUR ops manual.
As long as the required information is contained therein any ops manual will be accepted. They are not looking for a 'preferred' layout or approved formatting - they are interested in your understanding of your own operations as it appertains to your particular working practices as well as a core level of information in there which (as you say) either version template contains. :)

Welcome to the forum. As you found, you will not get a direct answer from the CAA UAS office. You are supposed to get this advice from your NQE with whom you did you RPA training. They will offer guidance on what is expected and that your document makes sense.

I had not seen the 'company' Ops Manual template before you pointed it out. I based my own (and my company's) on the UAS OSC 3-volume template. The key point is that the Ops Manual should be your own work and include the recommended topics covering how you intend to operate your RPA. I would pass your draft past your NQE who will submit it along with their assessment of your knowledge and skills demonstrated at ground school and flight assessment.

OSC stands for Operating Safety Case - you don't want this. Follow the link to CAP722 then 'Operations Manual Template' is what you need but this is really just a summary table. If you did your ground school through an NQE (EURO-USC, Resource Group, etc.) they should have given you a sample manual to work from. Failing that you may find examples of manuals if you search hard enough on the web.

OSC stands for Operating Safety Case - you don't want this. Follow the link to CAP722 then 'Operations Manual Template' is what you need but this is really just a summary table. If you did your ground school through an NQE (EURO-USC, Resource Group, etc.) they should have given you a sample manual to work from. Failing that you may find examples of manuals if you search hard enough on the web.
I beg to disagree profoundly. The UAS OSC is the correct template with Vol 1 - Operations Manual, Vol 2 - Systems and Vol 3 - Safety Assessment (if required). This was the template Resource Group was very happy with for me. As I said the Ops Manual is your piece of work detailing how you will operate.

Reactions: Peeliewally

Thanks for your swift reply Simon. I didn't believe I did need the OSC and that is why I based my Ops Manual on the link given in CAP 722. However, on a subsequent check of the CAP 722, I found it does state under the heading of "Grant of an SUA Permission - Critical Elements", on line 1, page 46 of the latest edition of CAP 722, para 4.9, "....in their operations manual (Vol 1 of the UAS OSC)".
This is where my confusion started and the reason for the post.

I am exempt from the ground school with my current aviation qualification and will only be doing the Flight Test with a NQE. Therefore I have based my Ops Manual purely on the CAA template. I am happy to produce my own Ops Manual as I have the benefit of experience in producing this type of publication.

Thanks again for your reply.

It really doesn't matter as it is YOUR ops manual.
As long as the required information is contained therein any ops manual will be accepted. They are not looking for a 'preferred' layout or approved formatting - they are interested in your understanding of your own operations as it appertains to your particular working practices as well as a core level of information in there which (as you say) either version template contains. :)

Thanks Editor for your swift reply. I must agree with your common sense answer and I hope the CAA do too when I present my application. I do believe it is a typo on their behalf when they state a UAS OSC Vol 1 Ops Manual as a requirement for a Class A SUA of <7kgs.

I beg to disagree profoundly. The UAS OSC is the correct template with Vol 1 - Operations Manual, Vol 2 - Systems and Vol 3 - Safety Assessment (if required). This was the template Resource Group was very happy with for me. As I said the Ops Manual is your piece of work detailing how you will operate.

Thanks Scotflieger for your post. If I had initially used the UAS OSC template then I wouldn't have made this post. My issue is that I based my Ops Manual on the template given by the www.caa.co.uk/uas link. After several days of head scratching and the input of data into a word processor, the last thing I wanted was to find that I may have used the wrong template for all of my work. Hopefully, the Editor is correct with the information he gives in his post and that the CAA accept my application based on the non-UAS OSC template.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry