Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anti-Drone Rifle

I want one,so I get rid of all those unwanted drones that spies in my backyard.:)

Well considering that the purpose is to interrupt the RC-copter communications and loss of communications can and does result in destruction of the copter it's hardly a non destructive device. I don't mind that it would be used to protect the Super Bowl or White House, but when this tech gets out it will be used elsewhere and that's the real problem.

Let say you're flying your copter in a legal location but someone doesn't want you to. Next thing you know a cop shows up and fires the interrupter at your drone. You know nothing about it and when it fails to obey your command you think you have to perform the CSC procedure thinking you need to stop it and it falls from the sky and hit a kid. Does the cop own up to it or does he arrest you for reckless behavior?

If this gets out police departments all across the country will want one of there own just like they wanted a StingRay -- and if they have it they will use it.

Brian

Reactions: Gary E and ted35
Well considering that the purpose is to interrupt the RC-copter communications and loss of communications can and does result in destruction of the copter it's hardly a non destructive device. I don't mind that it would be used to protect the Super Bowl or White House, but when this tech gets out it will be used elsewhere and that's the real problem.

Let say you're flying your copter in a legal location but someone doesn't want you to. Next thing you know a cop shows up and fires the interrupter at your drone. You know nothing about it and when it fails to obey your command you think you have to perform the CSC procedure thinking you need to stop it and it falls from the sky and hit a kid. Does the cop own up to it or does he arrest you for reckless behavior?

If this gets out police departments all across the country will want one of there own just like they wanted a StingRay -- and if they have it they will use it.

Brian
You can bet that this will happen.

Reactions: ted35
I work for one of the largest sheriffs offices here in Florida,our chief and many others from different counties have agreed and some have even gone on the news publicly and stated that our agencies will not respond to any drone calls unless the quad is flying extremely reckless,and even then us trying to find the said quad then track it done to the pilot will be close to impossible. Agencies have better things to do then to chase "drone calls".

Brian

Not sure what you are flying but my quad returns to home or lands when comms are lost. That is the point of the gun. Not that I agree with it, I just don't agree with your particular argument. That and the availability of jammers. As you may or may not know they are actually, already, highly illegal and very difficult to acquire without building one yourself and again, they are very illegal. Getting one to focus like this would be expensive. If anyone is going to have something like this it would be some kind of Homeland security situation. I can't see local police using something like this.

Not sure what you are flying but my quad returns to home or lands when comms are lost. That is the point of the gun. Not that I agree with it, I just don't agree with your particular argument. That and the availability of jammers. As you may or may not know they are actually, already, highly illegal and very difficult to acquire without building one yourself and again, they are very illegal. Getting one to focus like this would be expensive. If anyone is going to have something like this it would be some kind of Homeland security situation. I can't see local police using something like this.

Two things, while it might trigger a RTH that's no guarantee it doesn't crash on the way home.

And second, the StangRay I mentioned in my prior isn't something local police should have and yet they do -- and use it.

Brian

Two things, while it might trigger a RTH that's no guarantee it doesn't crash on the way home.

And second, the StangRay I mentioned in my prior isn't something local police should have and yet they do -- and use it.

Brian
I think I would use one as well - can't blame them really....

2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-Pacific-Edition-coupe-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

They said the range of that tool is 1300 feet. So it would effectively go up, leave range of that tool and reconnect with the original operator.

I work for one of the largest sheriffs offices here in Florida,our chief and many others from different counties have agreed and some have even gone on the news publicly and stated that our agencies will not respond to any drone calls unless the quad is flying extremely reckless,and even then us trying to find the said quad then track it done to the pilot will be close to impossible. Agencies have better things to do then to chase "drone calls".

Unless there is a revenue generating "fine" associated with it....

"Drug Mobiles" you got to love em!!! Those Vetts and Mustangs and Mercedes and others are "all" Drug cars acquired in drug busts. Usually the Trooper or Police Officer of the year for his department or state get to use them.

Reactions: ted35
They said the range of that tool is 1300 feet. So it would effectively go up, leave range of that tool and reconnect with the original operator.

based on the triangle. I would say p3 or inspire only needs to ascend to 350m max to break free from it. probably 200-300m would be enough to break free from it.

Unless there is a revenue generating "fine" associated with it....

I don't see there being one anytime soon. Even if there is we would never be able to track the pilot down unless he was flying right there in front of the quad.

As I mentioned before, many police and law enforcement agencies around the country acquired a StingRay unit to spy on cellphones. There's clear Constitutional concerns with the StingRay given the fact that not just the "suspect" is snared by the StingRay and anyone within range will find themselves being monitored by the government. That so many police agencies have these devices as well as military grade vehicles makes it pretty clear, in spite of what Waternut13134 says, that police agencies will want one of these anti drone tools as well.

Now, there maybe a situation where such a device makes sense, but unless every cop has one in there patrol car how useful could it be if it takes 15 minutes to get one on scene given the drone battery isn't likely to last much longer than that. So, unless there's a crap ton of these units all over the place the only value would be in point defense of high valued targets like the Superbowl or the White House.

But, since these units ARE going to wind up in local police departments they WILL be used and not likely against actual threats. You will have cops using a new tool because they have a new tool and you don't need to delve any deeper than that. If they have it they will use it even if it's usefulness is limited to point defense of high valued targets.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide