Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any Thoughts What Might Be on the Part 107 Test?

Reaction score
I know the Part 107 test won't be available till the end of August, but I'd like to start studying up for it. I found this on the FAA website; " + ttlms_connect.course_name + "

The last section, the knowledge check, includes questions where you look at a chart and answer questions that are based on the PHAK. These questions are of the type that people who are licensed pilots would have to know, understand, and have studied for and use regularly.

My question is; Do you think the Part 107 exam will include private pilot license type questions, ones that you'd need to know if you were going for a private pilot license? I understand the above link are for licensed pilots wishing to add the commercial drone pilot cert. I just want to be sure I study everything I need to.

TIA!

Kinda like....it's all about the money! The FAA estimates the out-of-pocket cost for an individual to become a certified remote pilot with a small UAS rating would be $150, less than any other airman certification that allows for non-recreational operations in the national airspace.

Reactions: InspireBart
As a flight instructor of manned aircraft we've helped thousands of pilots pass their FAA exams through our online courses.

While the PHAK (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) is awesome for manned pilots. For UAS operators its going to be overkill (It's 600 pages)

I'm doing a free webinar tomorrow night (Tuesday at 9pm eastern) sharing "What to expect on your part 107 FAA knowledge test"

The link to sign up or learn more is here - Remote Pilot 101 |

Hope this helps

Jason

Reactions: 300c
I know the Part 107 test won't be available till the end of August, but I'd like to start studying up for it. I found this on the FAA website; " + ttlms_connect.course_name + "

The last section, the knowledge check, includes questions where you look at a chart and answer questions that are based on the PHAK. These questions are of the type that people who are licensed pilots would have to know, understand, and have studied for and use regularly.

My question is; Do you think the Part 107 exam will include private pilot license type questions, ones that you'd need to know if you were going for a private pilot license? I understand the above link are for licensed pilots wishing to add the commercial drone pilot cert. I just want to be sure I study everything I need to.

TIA!
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Takes a while to download (87 pages)

Reactions: InspireBart
I just took the Part 107 exam on Saturday fo the 2nd time and finally passed it. I am a student private pilot having completed ground school and pre-solo written exam easily. I have over 70 hour of flight time in a Cessna 172. The Part 107 test is very heavy on Section Chart details and is always trying to trick you up on Airspace Classification details. You must really know how to read and decipher Sectional Charts and be completely knowledgeable on all classifications of Airspace, their dimensions and entry rules etc. Also must be strong on VFR rules, weather (cloud types etc). This test is more about private pilot info than UAV skills and I think it tries to trip you up more than test your knowledge and ability to safely use Airspace. Like all things FAA it is over the top and meant to justify their existence. DO NOT TAKE THIS EXAM LIGHTLY...IT IS NOT EASY!!!

Reactions: SkyEye and Ikopta
If like the UK test, its all about air law, weather, reading aviation maps, understanding aviation terminology, where and how to use NOTAMS. Very little about UAV/UAS/Drones.
I would advise you do lots of home work. UK has high failure rate because candidates are too drone/uas focused instead of understanding there are other air users, and how commercial airspace is managed.
Good luck to all those sitting.

Reactions: The Editor
I just took the Part 107 exam on Saturday fo the 2nd time and finally passed it. I am a student private pilot having completed ground school and pre-solo written exam easily. I have over 70 hour of flight time in a Cessna 172. The Part 107 test is very heavy on Section Chart details and is always trying to trick you up on Airspace Classification details. You must really know how to read and decipher Sectional Charts and be completely knowledgeable on all classifications of Airspace, their dimensions and entry rules etc. Also must be strong on VFR rules, weather (cloud types etc). This test is more about private pilot info than UAV skills and I think it tries to trip you up more than test your knowledge and ability to safely use Airspace. Like all things FAA it is over the top and meant to justify their existence. DO NOT TAKE THIS EXAM LIGHTLY...IT IS NOT EASY!!!

(with all due respect, I disagree) The test was exactly what I expected and exactly what the FAA test material told you it was going to be about. I found no trick questions and I don't want anyone flying who can't read an aeronautical chart(nor the FAA). I don't know what "UAV skills" anyone expected to find on the test. How an Inspire works? Totally agree with you, the test is difficult, as it should be... I soloed in 1969, got my commercial in 1976, and would have had difficulty in passing this test if I hadn't taken a refresher course. The process of obtaining an FAA certificate should never be easy and it should weed out the unprepared.

Reactions: Kilinahe Media
(with all due respect, I disagree) The test was exactly what I expected and exactly what the FAA test material told you it was going to be about. I found no trick questions and I don't want anyone flying who can't read an aeronautical chart(nor the FAA). I don't know what "UAV skills" anyone expected to find on the test. How an Inspire works? Totally agree with you, the test is difficult, as it should be... I soloed in 1969, got my commercial in 1976, and would have had difficulty in passing this test if I hadn't taken a refresher course. The process of obtaining an FAA certificate should never be easy and it should weed out the unprepared.
Plus the whole air worthiness of the UAV is up to the rpic anyway. All the FAA really cares about is if you know what is in the airspace and how to go about joining it. Joe blow can fly a sUAS because it's so simple now, but does he know where he is allowed to fly. Makes total sense to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide