Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any tips for flying indoors?

Reaction score
hi, im gonna fly my inspire 1 pro in a sports hall this friday, and i could do with some help/advice on setting up before flight.
i take it you turn the RTH off, also do you still calibrate in GPS mode or ATTI?
any advice would be great, many thanks

Reactions: denaat
hi, im gonna fly my inspire 1 pro in a sports hall this friday, and i could do with some help/advice on setting up before flight.
i take it you turn the RTH off, also do you still calibrate in GPS mode or ATTI?
any advice would be great, many thanks

Hi Jag1,

I would as I did always. calibrate once and if the MOD values are good don´t touch it. in a hall with all the metal around you the values will not be the same as when you go outside into a field with nothing under you "metalwise" so if don´t worry too much about it. what you should do is, make a test flight if you can before the gig. the VPS (vision positioning system only works until 2.5m !!!! so take care because above that height the bird starts to drift like no GPS. - while we're at it. switch to ATTI and make sure you do check the ceiling for cables or things that you could run into while flying or elevating up... and have a check on how vertical movement is in correction up and down... if you can, go out into nowhere and do a clean calibration of the compass. check flight characteristics and if she is rock solid don´t touch he and go into the hall.

try to fly nose forward if you can to avoid coordination errors which could be dangerous. since camera spins 360 and you have a cameraman with you, I assume that would be no big problem in terms composing.

hope this helped a bit and was understandable...

cheers
Martin

Reactions: eldorado
Hi Jag1,

I would as I did always. calibrate once and if the MOD values are good don´t touch it. in a hall with all the metal around you the values will not be the same as when you go outside into a field with nothing under you "metalwise" so if don´t worry too much about it. what you should do is, make a test flight if you can before the gig. the VPS (vision positioning system only works until 2.5m !!!! so take care because above that height the bird starts to drift like no GPS. - while we're at it. switch to ATTI and make sure you do check the ceiling for cables or things that you could run into while flying or elevating up... and have a check on how vertical movement is in correction up and down... if you can, go out into nowhere and do a clean calibration of the compass. check flight characteristics and if she is rock solid don´t touch he and go into the hall.

try to fly nose forward if you can to avoid coordination errors which could be dangerous. since camera spins 360 and you have a cameraman with you, I assume that would be no big problem in terms composing.

hope this helped a bit and was understandable...

cheers
Martin
All that,

plus: stay away from the ceiling and the walls. The I1 get sucked into those due to the pressure difference caused by the props.

I flew inside a basketball stadium for a disaster drill. Be careful of the air conditioning and heating outlets. They blow a lot of wind and if you are flying ATTI you can get out of control pretty quickly. Beware of wires and flags, I flew 5 batteries with no issues, but the sphincter muscle was pretty tight the whole time.

hi, so do I just calibrate as normal indoors and then turn the ATTI mode on or am I missing something here? many thanks

hi, so should i set the TX to ATTI mode first then turn on the inspire?....i don't want to mess this up! cheers

Ha! :p
It’s just the i1 floats/drifts and is not all that inside IMO. We’ve flown in a large warehouse and it’s just not what people think it is inside a building. If you have 20’ ceilings and 50’ on either side go ahead. It’s NOT a Mavic…just say’n.

same opinion. one has to be double if not tripple more cautious... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi, so should i set the TX to ATTI mode first then turn on the inspire?....i don't want to mess this up! cheers

breath... :D lol
you can start in "P" mode. up until 2.5meters (about) and if the floor is not too much the same she will stay there like a rock. once you go higher she will start to drift because of her own wind she makes.
depending on the roof and not switching to atti mode you might get a gps signals which will result in sudden brakes as it locks the signal and that is why you should switch once your are airborne.
you can't mess it up. take care and be cautious. :)
safe flight

you can, without the transmitter on. Always first turn on the AC. i1 uses the sensers on the bottom of the aircraft to help things out, not really recommended on shinny floors tho. Good luck and let us know how it went. As ISP5557 said, prepair for a tight sphincter!

sorry to be thick here! are you saying turn on the AC (aircraft first?) i thought it was always TX first...

sorry to be thick here! are you saying turn on the AC (aircraft first?) i thought it was always TX first...

does not really matter. just make sure both are on :)
normally RC first and then AC... but has no real relevance as the fail safe system is also working which prevents errors...
please correct me if i am wrong :)
cheers

Another thing to consider - large ceiling fans ("Big ***" Fans are a brand that comes to mind) are often installed inside factories and other large spaces. They may look like they are only spinning slowly, but their vortex is considerable, even a great distance away.

I know it's too late but when flying indoors make sure you turn off both the Smart RTH and set your Loss of Signal to Hover instead of RTH.

Reactions: Hans Devouassoux

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44