Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone do long range testing with FPVLR antennas yet ??

So, has anyone done a range test on the FPVLR antennas yet? I just got mine last nite so will take it for a flight today. However, I plan to ease into testing the range. Not as ballsy as turbo and his 4 mile flight attempt! ;-)

As with any $3,000 machine, take it slow and steady. Be a good pilot and map out any long distance flight on Bing Maps' Bird Eye view or Google Maps satellite view first, making sure no tall obstacles are in your proposed flight path (ie, cell towers, power lines, water towers, etc). Then, be methodical about range testing. First, go out a mile and come back, taking note of battery power upon return. Then try 1.5 miles, then 2 miles, then 2.5, etc. I find you have less chance of adverse events with this careful lock-step approach to long distance flying.

Enjoy the range, friend !! :p

Reactions: turbodronepilot
MadMitch,

Thanks for the advice. Planning and taking it in steps makes sense. I've been pretty cautious so far but itching to see how well the mod works.

Reactions: Exibit
There are no trolls in this thread, unless you define a troll as someone whose opinions differs from yours.
No, I don't define a troll as someone whose opinion differs from mine, I define it as 4 pages of replies that are off topic, and not a single reply has actually answered the original poster's question (yes, including my own two posts). If the people that are going on and on about legality of antennas, and legality of long range flights, wish to create their own threads to discuss those topics, that's fine, but it's not appropriate to thread-jack this thread, and every other thread that attempts to discuss long range flights.

I have only gone up to 2.16KM so far on the FPVLR antennas but could have gone further. Baby steps! :) The no signal was from me trying to take a screen shot and accidentally closing the DJI app.

Attachments

• rangetest2.jpg
    rangetest2.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm interested in distance / duration flying as well and I'd like to hear how this goes. One question, doesn't the current firmware geofence you and keep you from doing distance flying on the Inspire? Or do you have to take it out of GPS mode or something to get around that?

Also, distance flying is NOT illegal in the US as long as you remain out of controlled airspace. If your aircraft falls out of the sky and damages property, you will likely be liable for damages, but that is a civil matter. People seem to be under the impression that the AMA is some sort of regulatory authority. They aren't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: crashburn
There are no firmware restrictions on how far I can go in GPS mode, as long as I do not fly into restricted airspace. I believe the FAA has proposed some new rules for UAV's but they are not in affect as of now. They limit the height and out of sight flights one can legally take. However, I am not so clear on those laws.

All of my long distance flights have been on un-populated areas and with a friend spotting it form the sky. Of course at this range it appears as a mere spec in the sky. Hope this helps.

The FAA regs only apply to commercial use of drones currently. It seems highly unlikely that they will attempt to regulate non-commercial, mostly because it would be impossible to enforce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey guys..
I wanted to let you all know I went two miles with my inspire and I kept it in los using a high powered bicycle light..
this will be legal when the new laws come out in the USA..
I flew back words and had no problem seeing my inspire from that far away...
yes j could have seen a helicopter or crop duster if they were in the area...
as long as you use your naked eye to see your drone it's all good unless they say you can't make your drone more detectable with lights or whatever. .
I was using a tb48 and carrying 3/4 lb of payload and had 45% battery power left upon landing. .
turbo. ..

Awesome!! I like the light idea! What light are you using on the i1 and how do you have it attached? I still need to do the 2 mile run on mine, I am still working my way there! :D

Hey guys..
I wanted to let you all know I went two miles with my inspire and I kept it in los using a high powered bicycle light..
this will be legal when the new laws come out in the USA..
I flew back words and had no problem seeing my inspire from that far away...
yes j could have seen a helicopter or crop duster if they were in the area...
as long as you use your naked eye to see your drone it's all good unless they say you can't make your drone more detectable with lights or whatever. .
I was using a tb48 and carrying 3/4 lb of payload and had 45% battery power left upon landing. .
turbo. ..

Hopefully the clueless turds at the FAA will soon realize that piloting by FPV using 4K 360-degree cameras will actually make flying BLOS at 2 miles away a lot safer than flying by naked eye LOS at 1,000 feet, which they assume is more safe because our frail human eyes can see a tiny little white speck against a white-gray sky and accurately determine which direction and speed it's flying.

Uh huh --- I'll buy that for a dollar. Government is just so **** smart.

Last edited:
Ok guys..
3 miles with 3/4 lb payload. .in los ..that's my story and I'm sticking to it..can't believe the power of my bicycle strobe light..
wow..probably could see it from space...
And youre going to need a bright one if you're going to do the option 2 upgrade from fpvlr. .
oh ..did I just let the cat out if the bag...humm...
Turbo. .

What type of system is Amazon promoting and testing in regards to LOS? If the technology, proper redundancy on the equipment and a responsible pilot I wouldn't see a problem with longer flights out of LOS. I think right now its really new in regards to the mass population being able to their hands on this technology which does warrant some getting the jitters.

What type of system is Amazon promoting and testing in regards to LOS? If the technology, proper redundancy on the equipment and a responsible pilot I wouldn't see a problem with longer flights out of LOS. I think right now its really new in regards to the mass population being able to their hands on this technology which does warrant some getting the jitters.
Don't worry brother most people won't have the desire (balls)to fly blos..
I think most of the ones who do will be experienced enough to do it responsibly. .
turbo. .

I'm surprised at the hubris and disparaging nature of this comment.
He's talking about me, still haven't got the balls to properly test my new antennaes. But, I got them primarilly for a more stable connection, but someday soon I'm risking a long range flight.

Enjoy life and be nice

He's talking about me, still haven't got the balls to properly test my new antennaes. But, I got them primarilly for a more stable connection, but someday soon I'm risking a long range flight.

Enjoy life and be nice

Perhaps. But it has nothing to with "desire," "bravado," "courage," or anything else. You were honest enough to use the word "risk." Some, if not many, of us can't afford the "risk" of throwing $3,000 down the drain to prove a point.

No doubt I'll get flamed, but I was just disappointed in the comment. :( We're all friends here with a common interest. We shouldn't be tossing around disparaging remarks about other Inspire owners/pilots decisions to do or not to do something.

Just my two cents, and with deflation over the passed several decades, it ain't even worth two cents any more!

The new mod helps give confidence to do a longer ranged flight. I've yet to hit 2 miles but working my way there.

Taking my time and have enjoyed flying 1.5 miles and still having full signal. Turbos 3 mile flight lets me knows it possible to push further.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool