Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone seen this before ? "The temperature is not within the acceptable range..."

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I started up with drones in 2011 and since than build myself a tricopter, a quad and now 3 years ago an Hexa, since than I was constantly flying my hexa with a Canon small camera for aerial photography and with a GoPro for videos, now I decide to order an Inspire 1 to have much more stable footage (even if I have a custom made gimbal to fit both a Camera and a gopro, one at a time, when I fly fast the jello appears, when the wind is high also I'm not very confident and usualy stop flying )

The dealer received 2 inspire drones this week and both turn red after ~1 minute since they power up , I attached a photo with the error message.

"The temperature is not within the acceptable range. Turn off the aircraft for five minutes, then re-start"

Did anyone seen this before, any suggestions?

I really needed the drone this weekend as I need to take some shots at 2 international events, mine hexa is not "light rain" proof, the weather here just turn bad now and the forecast for the next days is 50% chances of rain. With the inspire If it's not raining but cloudy I could try to fly but with mine I don;t have the guts because if the rain starts while I'm in the air the risk is high, as I have many exposed contacts on the Power Distribution PCB.

Any help is appreciated! The dealer tried to update the firmware on everything, calibrate IMU ... but both quads behave the same :(

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 33
That shows up only when you want to calibrate the IMU. Firstly, check if it's already good and if it is maybe don't bother.

Then if you do need/want to calibrate you should indeed turn it off, leave it there for 5-10min to let it cool down, then power up and go start calibration straight away. If you don't start calibration within the first 30 secs or so after power up you'll get that error.

As Kilrah says above, you IMU calibration should be done AS SOON as you turn the aircraft on.............

It also might be time to think about changing your dealer - they should know this!

Reactions: Kilrah
I called the dealer again to let him know about your suggestions, and he told me more details now, the gimbal is really getting hot, so is not just an error or just a bad sensor, they also tried to change the gimbal as they have spare parts in stock, with every gimbal they try the inspire acts the same, gimbal is getting very hot . This sounds to me like a shortcircuit.

Thank you. Any other advices and things we can try are welcome.

Gimbal getting hot is perfectly normal.

Pretty sure both units are just fine. He obviously has no idea about what he's doing.

I really needed the drone this weekend as I need to take some shots at 2 international events, mine hexa is not "light rain" proof, the weather here just turn bad now and the forecast for the next days is 50% chances of rain. With the inspire If it's not raining but cloudy I could try to fly but with mine I don;t have the guts because if the rain starts while I'm in the air the risk is high, as I have many exposed contacts on the Power Distribution PCB.
To answer your second question, I would not recommend flying an Inspire if it is raining or in high humidity. We had awful weather here yesterday with heavy drizzle showers. I took the risk to do a test and had to bring the aircraft back quickly and land when a short shower passed through. In addition to water ingress, especially in the motors and camera (with its cooling fans), you'll find you cannot get any useful film due to water droplets on the lens filter.

Gimbal getting hot is perfectly normal.

Pretty sure both units are just fine. He obviously has no idea about what he's doing.

They told me only once they had a similar problem with a Phantom 3 gimbal, all the other units ware normal in terms of heat.

The error he sees on the screen you suggest is because of not proper calibration ?

To answer your second question, I would not recommend flying an Inspire if it is raining or in high humidity. We had awful weather here yesterday with heavy drizzle showers. I took the risk to do a test and had to bring the aircraft back quickly and land when a short shower passed through. In addition to water ingress, especially in the motors and camera (with its cooling fans), you'll find you cannot get any useful film due to water droplets on the lens filter.

I don;t want to be able to fly much in rain , just to be safe if the rain starts while I'm flying, to be able to return it safely while flying when the rain starts. And the wind resistance and stability will also help me with the new drone.

Here are two videos I made last year and I need to film again this week, in both location (airsoft video and play zone for mercedes trucks)

Can anyone tell me how hot is too hot ? or a temperature you say is normal for the gimbal in degrees , not just words as (warm, hot, very hot which are subjective )

Thank you.

Had measured mine at about 50°C when indoors i.e. no airflow to cool it down.

Thank you very much for fast reply, I just forwarded your message to dealer and asked him to measure those too.

I can't judge them as I don't know them , don't know how many units they sold, maybe the quad are really bad but also is it possible to be dealers fault .. I really try to find a solution as I'm in the middle of this situation, I already payed the invoice on Monday for 1 inspire dual remotes and 1 extra battery (5700mah) .. now I'm thinking to ask for my money back and let the dealer solve the problems with DJI, they also told me DJI is not too speedy in those situation .. something like 2 months it takes to get something back from DJI :(

Last edited:
They told me only once they had a similar problem with a Phantom 3 gimbal, all the other units ware normal in terms of heat.

The error he sees on the screen you suggest is because of not proper calibration ?

I don;t want to be able to fly much in rain , just to be safe if the rain starts while I'm flying, to be able to return it safely while flying when the rain starts. And the wind resistance and stability will also help me with the new drone.

Here are two videos I made last year and I need to film again this week, in both location (airsoft video and play zone for mercedes trucks)

Can anyone tell me how hot is too hot ? or a temperature you say is normal for the gimbal in degrees , not just words as (warm, hot, very hot which are subjective )

Thank you.
Your airsoft video is pretty cool. For close to the ground footage, I use a 10ft pole and GoPro4 on a handheld gimbal. Gets great smooth footage that resembles flown footage but with no risk to the bird, cast or set.

Thanks Jon, I'm a DIY guy, always loved to build the gears I can't afford but can make, the only "problem" in the last 2 years is that I don't have time anymore, with 2 kids around (2 years and 5 years old) .. don't even find time to tune the PIDs of my hexa to fly better in wind or when landing.

The same with the hand held gimbal, I started to build one for my Canon 70D but only finished this year, and is working almost ok, it starts to go crazy from time to time.

My decision to buy the Inspire was because now I want to shoot more and build less, I want to have a very good drone for videos while I can work on another hexacopter to carry a sony NEX 7, I must build a drone (already buyed the mikrokopter motors, props, CF booms) that is able to lift that camera for quality photography, and the inspire photos I seen online are no good compared to the photos I make with Canon 110HS, really the canon has a very good quality for photos, but the stability of inspire in the videos for me is almost unbelivable. I hope , when I will receive the Inspire I will get same stable shots I see online, and not starting to glitch, really hope it will fly well.

Now to be on-topic again, in the last message from the dealer he told me the calibration process always fails at 9%, he couldn't yet tell me the gimbal temperature but he told me is very high.

PS . Here's the first video I made with the gimbal I made on my CNC for Canon 70D , now I'm actualy trying to make it work better so I can shot with the gimbal in case tomorrow I won't be able to fly the hexa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinODo