Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone tried these folding props?

I spoke with Michael from Florida Drone Supply. We believe that one prop is likely the issue. They're going to ship out a new set of the non-folding props and test the ones I am returning. Great company to work with.

I've been interested in these props as well. I think I had seen somewhere that they are a bit heavier (I don't recall how much). Keep in mind dji designed the I2 with the the props it comes with and don't offer folding props (yet). It's for a good reason. Folding props are generally heavier and the added rotational forces applied to the motors causes a slight delay with spool-up/down. This slight loss of responsiveness (measured in milli-secs) plays havoc on the MCU's and additional strain (heat) on the motors.

I've been interested in these props as well. I think I had seen somewhere that they are a bit heavier (I don't recall how much). Keep in mind dji designed the I2 with the the props it comes with and don't offer folding props (yet). It's for a good reason. Folding props are generally heavier and the added rotational forces applied to the motors causes a slight delay with spool-up/down. This slight loss of responsiveness (measured in milli-secs) plays havoc on the MCU's and additional strain (heat) on the motors.

I believe it, but can't be much worse than props so loose they make noise when you push on them in either direction. Mine is recently purchased with foam in the props as well.

I believe it, but can't be much worse than props so loose they make noise when you push on them in either direction. Mine is recently purchased with foam in the props as well.
The slight slack (with in intended design tolerances), or even excessive slack does not effect spooling.

I don't think I have seen quality f-props that weren't hollow-core (using advanced composites) to make up for the added weight of the coupling. The use of them is usually a bad idea to use on prosumer drones that wasn't designed for them.

However, I'm still interested in the props myself but I need to see real-world, long-term testing on the I2 showing the operating temps of the motors before I can consider the extra expense to do my own testing.

I'd like to see some intrinsic verifiable data on this. There are a variety of reasons DJI doesn't offer folding props. To imply it is because of some inherent danger or wear and tear factor is misleading and unproven. DJI doesn't offer medical services either or F1 driver training, but does that mean they are dangerous? Sorry, but I don't buy your theory. Provide supporting info and your on to something but right now you're sort of stating an opinion but presenting it as fact.

LoL. Thanks.
It's a mess right now. Too many projects at the same time and it doesn't help that I use my shop for all of my hobbies and my mountain bikes.

The main advantage for folding props for me is speed and portability. It's only a matter of time before BeStem or someone else makes a landing mode backpack. That's what I like to use because I can then take my I2 on my back while I ride my bike. I'm typically not at a clean, flat place when I'm ready to fly since I'm riding in the woods and in rocky places. I need my I2 to be completely ready to go when I unpack. Landing mode, gimbal attached and props attached is an enormous help.

i had my inspire backpack sewed the way i wanted (invented my own) enough for 9 batteries, two remotes, a 7" broadcast monitor, small accesories (cables, nd filter etc) spare props and a tripod i tested it for a month in public transport with my 3 kg gamer laptop inside suming up to 28 kg... nothing ripped or fell off and there is sure something i forgot now but i am planning one for the I2 as i am looking to get one.
check the search. there are pics of it. i think inspire backpack is the tag...
if there would be enough orders i would go into prod.

cheers

I'd like to see some intrinsic verifiable data on this. There are a variety of reasons DJI doesn't offer folding props. To imply it is because of some inherent danger or wear and tear factor is misleading and unproven. DJI doesn't offer medical services either or F1 driver training, but does that mean they are dangerous? Sorry, but I don't buy your theory. Provide supporting info and your on to something but right now you're sort of stating an opinion but presenting it as fact.
As an aeronautical electromechanical engineer of 15yrs so I am legally bound to facts. Here's a basic 101 book to help bring you up to speed:

Motors & Drives: A Practical Technology Guide

Reactions: SZPFlyer and Phatzo
As an aeronautical electromechanical engineer of 15yrs so I am legally bound to facts. Here's a basic 101 book to help bring you up to speed:

did not have enough for breakfast?
lol
no offense to anyone but this again shows you never know who you meet with in life unless you do in person and talk to them.
cheers

You do know that DJI sells a drone with folding props right? The Mavic, and Matrice series. I don't know but maybe their engineers have 16 years of aeronautical electromechanical engineering behind them. Who knows, or cares for that matter. My folding props work just fine and if they don't I will simply: 1. Replace them, or buy a brand new I2. I don't worry about inconsequential things.

Last edited:
Here is a video of my I2 using the folding props I purchased from @Florida Drone Supply. I do believe @jt20165 has a bad prop. This was about 8 feet off the ground and it was a little breezy. I had my fingers off the sticks while this video was shot.

Nice dude. I get the same from my props and drone. It flies, it works. I don't look for solutions to non-existent problems.

You do know that DJI sells a drone with folding props right? The Mavic, and Matrice series. I don't know but maybe their engineers have 16 years of aeronautical electromechanical engineering behind them. Who knows, or cares for that matter. My folding props work just fine and if they don't I will simply: 1. Replace them, or buy a brand new I2. I don't worry about inconsequential things.

adopt me :) lol

I try to straighten out my props as much as possible prior to starting up the motors. The "shudder" is only slight and it goes away before the props spin fast enough to take off. I have 20 flights like this. No problems so far - but I am using different props than the ones used in this thread. The ones used in this thread seem to be very "loose" at the joints. Mine don't start folding back up when the motors stop. They stay straight.

You do know that DJI sells a drone with folding props right? The Mavic, and Matrice series. I don't know but maybe their engineers have 16 years of r aeronautical electromechanical engineering behind them. Who knows, or cares for that matter. My folding props work just fine and if they don't I will simply: 1. Replace them, or buy a brand new I2. I don't worry about inconsequential things.
Just trying to help out these props maybe a good addition for the Inspire.

The ESC's and motor combos on the Mavic and Matrices 200 series were chosen to work with specific props which directly effect the motor's generated heat . I always strongly advise to bench test the effects of swapping props before putting them into service. A prop set may feel more stable and even show improvements with battery draw but is there an expense? 90% of the time, yes. OEM mfg's wants their products to last a specific amount of time - usually the target for Electrical components is 2yrs. What is sad is that most aftermarket mfg's know this and are there to make a quick buck and they know most of those who will buy their product will not notice the damage that has been done because it will take months to take noticable effect. By then it's too late and/or, the consumer doesn't know why.

So always bench test new props. They will (in most cases) cost you more on the long run. You could be slowly melting away the windings' coating.

I had given an example in a reply on how to bench test using a pyrometer - I'll link it here.

Also to give you an idea how much weight effects motor temp, play around with this little online tool. It has a +/- 20% deviation but it's used to know what to start with (or wast your dollars with lol) before bench testing:

eCalc - xcopterCalc - the most reliable Multicopter Calculator on the Web...

I'm not bashing any product ore anyone, just trying to help out.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add my experience to the discussion.

I recently purchased the HeliEngadin folding props through Michael at Florida Drone Supply.

I was concerned about stripping the bolts. After purchasing a set of Wiha torx screw drivers, I carefully removed each bolt after using a hairdryer on high for 20 seconds (each bolt). I experienced no problem removing the bolts but did need use both a #9 and a #8 torx as the DJI supplied bolts were clearly from 2 separate batches. It took less than 10 minutes.

Cautious based on discussion forum reports of initial shuddering and diminished control, I flew the Inspire 2 this morning. I straightened the props and the initial vibration was minimal. I received no error messages, and the I2 flew well over the marsh and beach between 8 and 150ft AGL. I could not detect a control difference with either the original or the new set of props.

The folding props did however seem somewhat quieter.

While everyone may not have the same experience, I wanted to share mine. I am very pleased and impressed.

Hope this helps.

Barry

I recently purchased the HeliEngadin folding props through Michael at Florida Drone Supply.

I was concerned about stripping the bolts. After purchasing a set of Wiha torx screw drivers, I carefully removed each bolt after using a hairdryer on high for 20 seconds (each bolt). I experienced no problem removing the bolts but did need use both a #9 and a #8 torx as the DJI supplied bolts were clearly from 2 separate batches. It took less than 10 minutes.

Cautious based on discussion forum reports of initial shuddering and diminished control, I flew the Inspire 2 this morning. I straightened the props and the initial vibration was minimal. I received no error messages, and the I2 flew well over the marsh and beach between 8 and 150ft AGL. I could not detect a control difference with either the original or the new set of props.

While everyone may not have the same experience, I wanted to share mine. I am very pleased and impressed.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Nice Barry. Congrats on not stripping a bolt or breaking a Torx driver. :)

Hope this helps.

Barry
Thanks for the review Barry...glad you are liking them!

Could it be better... yes, am I happy ...yes. My video was posted with reference to post # 139.
i didn't want to say anything, but the movement that you're seeing there is exactly what I was seeing...
Here is a video of my I2 using the folding props I purchased from @Florida Drone Supply. I do believe @jt20165 has a bad prop. This was about 8 feet off the ground and it was a little breezy. I had my fingers off the sticks while this video was shot.

Since you took the time to show the stability of the HeliEngadin folding props on your I2 I decided that I would take a video of the stability using DJI's props. I thought that it would be fun to shoot, with my Olympus 45mm (90MM full frame equivalent) at close range, the camera I used to film the I2. The distance from the I2 and the Panasonic is around 8 ft. Accordingly, any movement by the I2 is exaggerated by the close proximity of what it is filming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare