Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Apple Compressor

Reaction score
Website
www.oyibo-vfx.com
Yesterday, against all odds, I purchased a license of Apple Compressor. Because I have, like all of you, hours of Raw footage and tons of edited movies.

Now, because most of my edited movies are saved as 4K movies, they consume huge amounts of disk space. That is why I want to covert them into Apple format (m4v) and then Compressor is the tool to use.

One very handy thing I discovered in Compressor is that Markers remain after encoding. That means that opening in Quicktime, you can actually switch to other chapters.
I have tried the Markers in FCPX and that doesn't work.

I'm fairly new in Compressor but if you do a lot of encoding and uploading to e.g. YouTube or Vimeo or have to make post production (so adding a time code), then Compressor is the tool to use
I'm still working on the details but so far... getting better

What I miss... saving an XML file with standard info for sharing

Compressor is great, and not just for video either... you can use it to batch change audio files to another format (eg wav to MP3 etc).

If your FCPX libraries are taking up space, then a couple of apps to help you manage them are:

Final Cut Library Manager (shows how much space a project is taking in a library and how much space is recoverable).

Work4 X - can help you compress a project by creating a new project & cutting/trimming media to only the bits being used.

I've not used Work4 X yet, but will be adding it to my arsenal soon. FC Library manager I've used for a couple of years and found useful.

Yesterday, against all odds, I purchased a license of Apple Compressor. Because I have, like all of you, hours of Raw footage and tons of edited movies.

Now, because most of my edited movies are saved as 4K movies, they consume huge amounts of disk space. That is why I want to covert them into Apple format (m4v) and then Compressor is the tool to use.

One very handy thing I discovered in Compressor is that Markers remain after encoding. That means that opening in Quicktime, you can actually switch to other chapters.
I have tried the Markers in FCPX and that doesn't work.

I'm fairly new in Compressor but if you do a lot of encoding and uploading to e.g. YouTube or Vimeo or have to make post production (so adding a time code), then Compressor is the tool to use
I'm still working on the details but so far... getting better

What I miss... saving an XML file with standard info for sharing
Hey there, just in case you are unaware if you have chapter markers in your FCPX project if you go to FILE then SHARE then SETTINGS and then pick either one of the apple settings or master file there is a check box you can check to include chapters. Hope this is of some help.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Hey there, just in case you are unaware if you have chapter markers in your FCPX project if you go to FILE then SHARE then SETTINGS and then pick either one of the apple settings or master file there is a check box you can check to include chapters. Hope this is of some help.

Hmmmm, my reply seems lost in cyberspace. Anyway, yes I am aware of these features. But there is more on this. I'm planning to make a tutorial about this (and some other awesome tricks) in the coming days.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu