Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Applied for my 107 waivers today

Interested to know how you addressed the performance standards for each of those. Do you mind sharing?
Basically you only need to prove you can do the job safely. So when you ask for an exemption you state what you want exempted from and how you can do it safely. Here is the one I sent in for my 107.39 Operating Over People

We are requesting a waiver for part 107.39 Operation over people. This will allow Skyward Imaging to fly our sUA and conduct operations over other human beings as needed by our customers such as News Agencies and Event Planners.

Our sUA is the DJI Inspire 1 and will be equipped with the X5/R cameras. The total weight of this aircraft is approximately 8 lbs including the camera, gimbal and battery. No modification has been done to this sUA and will remain at factory specifications. Our repair procedure is to use only factory parts and all repairs are to be conducted by an authorized DJI Repair facility with the exception of simple operational repairs such as new batteries, propellers etc...

Skyward Imaging has a comprehensive safety program that ensures we use one or more Visual Observers on every flight depending on the flight specifics. We will include in this policy:

1. We will only fly over other human beings when absolutely needed.
  2. Our maximum altitude will be no more than 40 feet AGL.
  3. Our maximum distance will be no more than 100 Feet from launch location.
  4. Our sUA will not exceed a speed of 5mph.
  5. We will section off a controlled area for takeoff and landing sufficient enough for all others to know we are there and know they should not enter that area.
  6. All persons involved will wear safety vests that include wording that can easily identify them to be part of the flight crew.
  7. We will provide a notice for all persons involved within the controlled area of operations.
  8. If at anytime during an operation the Remote PIC deems it to be a danger he/she will cease all flights and call for all sUA to be grounded until they can safely proceed.
  9. All Remote PIC's will hold a Small UAS certificate from the FAA. Remote pilots in training will not be allowed to conduct these types of operations until they can successfully pass the FAA exam and receive their certificate.

Skyward Imaging takes safety to the highest standards. All remote pilots with us have to read, understand and adhere to our safety policies at all times. ANY deviation of the rules is subject for termination.

Basically you only need to prove you can do the job safely. So when you ask for an exemption you state what you want exempted from and how you can do it safely. Here is the one I sent in for my 107.39 Operating Over People

Yeah, I am aware, I am just interested in seeing examples of what people are using. I do not have access to the individual waiver requests through the FAA system, but I do see a list of all of the ones that get approved. I am trying to gather examples of what people are using to meet performance criteria.

Yeah, I am aware, I am just interested in seeing examples of what people are using. I do not have access to the individual waiver requests through the FAA system, but I do see a list of all of the ones that get approved. I am trying to gather examples of what people are using to meet performance criteria.

Ahh, gotcha. I just looked at approved waivers to see the details of what they are granting to others. Once you know that, the rest is easy.

Mind sharing your narrative for the night operations?

I just received my class C airspace authorization to train my public safety agency's prospective pilots and am planning on adding the night waiver.

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested to see the results. In the process of submitting my waivers I created an entire Flight Operations Manual (FOM). Thus far it's 22 pages and I expect that to grow quickly... overkill perhaps.

Reactions: Nemurai
I don't know if your going to get the flying over people waiver.

CNN seems to be the only one so far and they can only fly 20 feet above with a quad that weighs less than 1.5 pounds I believe. There where a lot of requirements for them.

I don't have my rejection in front of me right now but flying over people will require proof of testing standards as told to me in accordance with ASTM standards with details on what testing was done, how it was done, stats on the testing and suggested the manufacturer be involved also. The other part of the 107.39 waiver includes flying over moving vehicles. That is the part I was wanting approval of. I stated that there would be no pedestrians on the ground. However.....You will need to address both whether you want one or both.
Be careful here.

I submitted a new airspace (Class D) Authorization request and indicated that there would be no flying over moving vehicles or pedestrians on the ground for this mission. I think it's better not to ask too much at one time.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone had this...

The restrictions listed would make it easier to use a tall ladder!

1. Ground speed of the sUA while operating over human beings must not exceed 5 miles per hour;

2. The sUA maximum weight while operating over human beings cannot exceed 1.37 pounds excluding tether and connector;

3. Maximum altitude of the sUA while operating over human beings is restricted to 21 feet above ground level;

This was the document I was referring to when I received my denial notification......Its dated April 1 2016 so I'm not sure why we didn't know about it before now............Impact energy thresholds needed etc. I don't think any one person can provide this information therefor I had referenced the manufacturer in my prior post. FAA getting serious here. UAV manufacturers will need to step up to the plate and help us out. Mabe they have been working on this in the past year.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/Micro-UAS-ARC-FINAL-Report.pdf

Reactions: Planter
Don't know if anyone had this...

CNN permit references the Fotokite UAV. The Fotokite Cost is $8,500....... weight is about 1.4 lbs and holds a gopro camera. (Mavic with tether would be a lot less and I'm sure someone out there can figure out the powered tether)

This was the document I was referring to when I received my denial notification......Its dated April 1 2016 so I'm not sure why we didn't know about it before now............Impact energy thresholds needed etc. I don't think any one person can provide this information therefor I had referenced the manufacturer in my prior post. FAA getting serious here. UAV manufacturers will need to step up to the plate and help us out. Mabe they have been working on this in the past year.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/Micro-UAS-ARC-FINAL-Report.pdf
Interesting reading on the subject.

Attachments

• Human Harm from a Falling Unmanned Aircraft.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
I don't have my rejection in front of me right now but flying over people will require proof of testing standards as told to me in accordance with ASTM standards with details on what testing was done, how it was done, stats on the testing and suggested the manufacturer be involved also. The other part of the 107.39 waiver includes flying over moving vehicles. That is the part I was wanting approval of. I stated that there would be no pedestrians on the ground. However.....You will need to address both whether you want one or both.
Be careful here.

I submitted a new airspace (Class D) Authorization request and indicated that there would be no flying over moving vehicles or pedestrians on the ground for this mission. I think it's better not to ask too much at one time.
Yuup-proof of testing is a requirement, this is what I got back...IMG_0316.jpg

Be careful here.

I thought 107.39 was not needed under part 107 if people are under cover that would shield them from a drone dropping on them from above? That would mean (to this non-attorney) that cars would provide such cover. Any thoughts on that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74