Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autonomous Waypoint Navigation with the FreeSkies CoPilot

CoPilot Basic is now live on the App Store. Currently compatible with the P3A, P3P, and Inspire 1 (Standard compatibility coming soon) and iOS 9. Apple Maps 3D data is limited, please check your area before purchasing. We love our early adopters so for the month of October CoPilot is 20% off at $39.99.

Thank you for supporting us in this journey and we hope you enjoy CoPilot as much as we have building it! Happy Flying! Subscribers, check your email for full details and find out more at http://freeskies.co/copilot.html!
So this software is not usable for any area without 3D maps? If thats the case then not usable for any areas outside of major cities? I do most of my flying out in the mountains or countryside.

I was to buy it - but as it seems it relays of apple maps 3d coverage - and to be very kind I will say it is very limited.
You also have to have "developer firmware installed on your hardware". (On which hardware - the Inspire ?)

It seems this is way to early a least for me.

So this software is not usable for any area without 3D maps? If thats the case then not usable for any areas outside of major cities? I do most of my flying out in the mountains or countryside.

Hey Greg,
You can find the most up to date list here: iOS 9 Feature Availability - Apple
Look for list of "Maps: Flyover" locations. Alternatively, open the apple maps app, select the "i" in the bottom right, and then select "3D Map" and "Satellite". You can now check any area you would like to fly for 3D data ahead of time.
CoPilot will still work as a 2D mission planning app in areas without 3D data. This is kind of like using DJI vision plus ground station, but with our "Pitch" and "Camera" flight modes for inflight camera control.

The example of used on the Apple App Store of the London Eye beside the Thames needs to be changed because it gives a false impression of where the App can be used. It is illegal to fly in central London near such prominent areas without special clearances from the UK CAA.

Hi Richard,

You can also checkout a detailed list of No-Fly-Zones inside of the app, so that you are aware of where you can or can't fly beforehand. In areas without 3D data, you can still launch in 2D Maps with Pitch and Camera mode. The focus of CoPilot is to make capturing video and images easier, so that you don't have to worry about piloting.

Hi Scotflieger,

While you would need special clearances from the UK CAA, it is possible to fly in that area with permission. Not sure how relaxed the UK CAA, but the US FAA has given us permission to fly in many restricted areas.

We are also integrating a new No-fly-zone feature to give you the most accurate no-fly-zones around the world, including London so that you know where you can or can't fly.

While you would need special clearances from the UK CAA, it is possible to fly in that area with permission. Not sure how relaxed the UK CAA, but the US FAA has given us permission to fly in many restricted areas.
As I mentioned the London Eye opposite the Houses of Parliament is within London City Airport Control Zone (Cat D Airspace - Surface to 2500ft) and the very Restricted Airspace R157 (Surface to 1400ft). Only after a long winded approval process would it possible for a qualified professional to exceptionally get UK CAA clearance to fly in this area of London. One person has recently been prosecuted, heavily fined and banned for flying near Big Ben and other landmarks. Therefore, including the London Eye in your Apple App Store example is highly irresponsible.

As I mentioned the London Eye opposite the Houses of Parliament is within London City Airport Control Zone (Cat D Airspace - Surface to 2500ft) and the very Restricted Airspace R157 (Surface to 1400ft). Only after a long winded approval process would it possible for a qualified professional to exceptionally get UK CAA clearance to fly in this area of London. One person has recently been prosecuted, heavily fined and banned for flying near Big Ben and other landmarks. Therefore, including the London Eye in your Apple App Store example is highly irresponsible.
Has anyone else( besides myself) tried the CoPilot App yet? I've tried to use it but keep getting " no connection with controller"( the RC I assume). I've sent emails to FreeSkies asking for assistance but have not gotten a response. So, I thought I'd seek advice- if any- here.

But if the truth were to be known...don't you wish YOU could have shot that footage?

Hi Richard,

You can also checkout a detailed list of No-Fly-Zones inside of the app, so that you are aware of where you can or can't fly beforehand. In areas without 3D data, you can still launch in 2D Maps with Pitch and Camera mode. The focus of CoPilot is to make capturing video and images easier, so that you don't have to worry about piloting.

Hi Scotflieger,

We are also integrating a new No-fly-zone feature to give you the most accurate no-fly-zones around the world, including London so that you know where you can or can't fly.
You would NEVER get permission to fly that area with a quadcopter.
So unless the product interfaces with Wookong or A2 it is false advertising since you could not legally make the flight you are advertising with a four rotor aircraft.
Oh, and the CAA will not allow autonomous waypoint flying in EGR158 even with ENSF clearance. So that is a double whammy false advertising.
I would suggest you remove the offending video footage or the CAA will have something to say about it (when I inform them)!

Has anyone else( besides myself) tried the CoPilot App yet? I've tried to use it but keep getting " no connection with controller"( the RC I assume). I've sent emails to FreeSkies asking for assistance but have not gotten a response. So, I thought I'd seek advice- if any- here.
I have not used CoPilot but one thing to remember with all pilot apps is that only one can connected to the Inspire 1 at any one time. You need to completely shutdown and quit DJI GO app before CoPilot will connect.

Hi Chip,

That problem normally means that either the drone or the transmitter hasn't been updated to the latest firmware. Be sure to download the latest Developer Firmware onto both the Inspire and RC transmitter before continuing. The CoPilot Installation Guide will give you detailed instructions on how to install the developer firmware. Be sure to check out the CoPilot User Manual as well before starting.

With CoPilot, running, you can load the DJI Go App and get the same FPV data. It would be best to load CoPilot first before loading the DJI Go App.

No I was waiting for this program but I do not want to run on Developer FW - and the 3D map coverage is very limited. This program is after my opinion not ready for public use.

But guys...wouldn't it be great if we could do those off limits flights?
Not saying we should and way to many idiots will try....but to dream..

CoPilot Basic is now live on the App Store. Currently compatible with the P3A, P3P, and Inspire 1 (Standard compatibility coming soon) and iOS 9. Apple Maps 3D data is limited, please check your area before purchasing. We love our early adopters so for the month of October CoPilot is 20% off at $39.99.
Well I'm glad I didn't jump in based on this "20% off sale" as I notice it's now 60% off.
Guess sales haven't been as good as expected for them to half the price after 2 weeks.
The nearest city with 3D to me is 2 hours away and after watching the 2D functionality videos I'm not even remotely engaged to consider buying this anymore.
Waypoints are coming to AutoPilot and probably to DJI Go so I'm not dying to drop $30 AU for just a waypoint App which won't work on my iPhone Plus (I do use an iPad mini for some flights but looking at my flight logs I favour the iPhone)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare