Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

@autoflightlogic You can no longer change the yaw reference by waypoint
Don't recall this setting ever being available on a per-waypoint basis. You can selected the yaw reference on a per-focus-trigger basis when selecting direction as the focus strategy.

Sorry, but I don't see it ("Spinner" mode?) under Cruise in your online Flight School and Cruise mode. All I see is a manual method with the sticks (Ugh!) or a percent, and neither seem to be an automation control for yawing the aircraft about a point with movie mode running.
Couldn't Cruise Mode with yaw set to percent accomplish this move?

Don't recall this setting ever being available on a per-waypoint basis. You can selected the yaw reference on a per-focus-trigger basis when selecting direction as the focus strategy.

Ahhhhh yea you are right!! It's been so many months since I've used it, forgot it was in the focus trigger!
So, yes you can still do a "spinner" function by setting focus trigger (direction:-90; yaw course:180) at or between two very close waypoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't Cruise Mode with yaw set to percent accomplish this move?

Is it repeatable and automated with zero input from the flyer?

Thinking of that season intro video of Dancing with the Stars where they had to do a series of videos over two days and 40-50 re-takes. Final cut was manually flown as not enough automation was available (No spinner mode for the overhead of the group of dancers.) to do a re-take with the dancer's choreographer according to the aerial videographer outfits Facebook page who did the shoot with their Inspire. Doing re-takes is costly, especially 40-50. A spinner while climbing or descending (two controls) is not easy to do manually.

Ahhhhh yea you are right!! It's been so many months since I've used it, forgot it was in the focus trigger!
So, yes you can still do a "spinner" function by setting focus trigger (direction:-90; yaw course:180) at or between two very close waypoints.

You can?

How do you do a two-rotation spinner and drop with the focus trigger, along with a speed of the rotation? I'm at a loss because I get minimal rotation (i.e. Start stop, another focus point to start stop movement again, etc.). Has to be an easier way rather than setting up a dozen focus points along a short blue waypoint/mission line to do a couple of full circles.

I've tried and sometimes the aircraft stops the spin, then spins backwards, and then moves the correct way again at the next focus point. Maddening for what should be a simple one-step setup!

Recent offline conversation added for Autopilot:

That's sort of what I find with the limitations of 180 degrees in the current setup. I've tried to go full circle or two and it is hard to do. I get a 180, then it goes backwards if I try to do a 360, and then goes the other way on a third. I can do a lot of smaller ones to keep the spin going the same direction, but then there is a lot of focus points to contend with.

Too bad there isn't something in just one focus point for a Spinner like:

Clockwise or Counter-clockwise rotation.
Gimbal degrees.
Number of degrees of rotation, say 720 for two or 1080 for three rotations (Which would depend on gimbal too: Inspire full body or just its gimbal vs. P4 where entire craft would rotate.).
Speed of rotation, and maybe a buffer for getting up to the speed of rotation and also a slowing down near the end of the rotation.
Vertical or descending climb during rotation.
Speed of ascent or decent.
Altitude stop point for action.

Maybe something else in there too.

Last edited:
Focus is supported by long-pressing the video preview screen in the Flight Dashboard. If you are using the beta, there is a known issue in the DJI SDK that prevents the detection of aircraft types with auto-focusable lenses, so it currently does not work. DJI is aware of the issue and working on a fix asap. Zoom is not currently supported in Autopilot.

The Z3 is already supported in the beta.

You should take a look at the options in Cruise Mode to accomplish this.

Can you be more specific about which feature you think was removed?

Aircraft types have been automatically detected since v3.0 of Autopilot.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if Autopilot includes an automatic cinematographer's "Spinner mode" and how it works? My manual spinning and yawing isn't so good or smooth, and after the third attempt my battery is shot.

I.e. "Spinner" is a common movie shot where the camera is overhead looking down and scene spins slowly while looking the subject.

I've been shooting professionally for 30+ years and I've never heard of a "Common movie shot" called a spinner

I've been shooting professionally for 30+ years and I've never heard of a "Common movie shot" called a spinner

See Creative Live's video course: "Learn How To Fly A Drone For Aerial Photos And Videos" by Blayne Chastain.

The course outline is in the attached photo where it shows the five basic cinema shots by drones, and "Spinner" is one of them in red with the others in the yellow box. Been around since real helicopter and RC copter shooters both where they try and place the camera on the rotor's axis for effect.

I would think it would be a common implemented focus effect shot in the autonomous apps as the effect has been used, or attempted so much. o_O

Attachments

• Screenshot-classes.jpg
    Screenshot-classes.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 22
A direct link to a youtube video showing the result would be more helpful.

The demo video is in the $99 course mentioned above, but copyrighted and not on Youtube.

Just imagine the movie camera running and pointing straight down. Then a 'spin' (or yaw?) is applied to rotate a given amount in either a CW or CCW motion, and maybe 720 degrees for two full rotations. Now apply either a hover while doing so, or climbing or descending the craft while doing it <--- That altitude change makes it hard as you may need to do two full rotates in a drop of 150 feet (or whatever) for a given effect's window of operation. Try making that repeatable if the scene on the ground isn't correct or co-operating well and leading to dead batteries on re-takes of the same flight pattern. Ugh!

A direct link to a youtube video showing the result would be more helpful.

An very close example is the video on YOUR YouTube page; user content for socal landscape aerials. Look at 1:52 over the marina.
Ideally, we want ability to control speed and total angle of yaw or total # of turns, plus amount of elevation.

An very close example is the video on YOUR YouTube page; user content for socal landscape aerials. Look at 1:52 over the marina.
Ideally, we want ability to control speed and total angle of yaw or total # of turns, plus amount of elevation.

This link on the Youtube webpage?

It does briefly show about a 90 degree clockwise "Spinner" in a climb mode at ~1:50 into it.

Aside, I see Autopilot has been sold, merged, or bought by Hanger on their webpage here: Home - Autoflight Logic Might not see it now and may be the end of it too - as software mergers generally tend to go. :(

Might not see it now and may be the end of it too - as software mergers generally tend to go. :(
This is not the end of Autopilot. In fact it is just the opposite as we now have more resources to fully realize the original vision of Autoflight Logic. More to come soon...

Hey everyone-

We have been hard at work on the next version of Autopilot - DJI (2.0) and we are ready to start the beta test. Send an email to [email protected] if you would like to participate - we would love your feedback!

New features include:
  • Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 support
  • Dynamic home point
  • Data logging (settings, telemetry, controls, commands)
  • Point-of-Interest for several modes, including Focus, Hover, Follow, Orbit and Mimic
  • Gimbal yaw in focus mode (Inspire only)
  • Updated flight dashboard to show telemetry while looking at the camera and map
  • Constant altitude reference - useful if your device has no barometer and you know that you will not be changing altitude
  • Apple watch integration (for quick disengage)

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

I'd like to try out the new Auto Pilot, I have the Inspire 1 which I love ...

Thanks

Derek

Hi Jim,

I'd like to try out the new Auto Pilot, I have the Inspire 1 which I love ...

Thanks

Derek

Support for Inspire 1 was added in v 3.5 build 97. To sign up for beta, please follow the link below:
Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

I think the current version 3.7 already supports the older Inspire 1 since last summer. Inspire 2 might not yet be supported, nor Mavic unless in beta version.

Mavic support is currently in beta. Inspire 2 support coming soon to beta...stay tuned!

Testing the Mavic in Beta. It works well although the camera movements from one focus trigger to the other sometimes go a bit abrupt.

Safe to use Autopilot still with the new DJI Go 4 app being released?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez