Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Logic on non-barometer iPad..

Reaction score
Autoflight Logic recommends an iPad Air 2 with barometer when using their software..Is anybody using an earlier version w/o the barometer?..I have an iPad w/o and would like to learn the basic software before purchasing a new iPad Air 2..

Autoflight Logic recommends an iPad Air 2 with barometer when using their software..Is anybody using an earlier version w/o the barometer?..I have an iPad w/o and would like to learn the basic software before purchasing a new iPad Air 2..
I thought you already had an iPad Pro?
iPad Pro available Nov 11 - now...any mounts for us yet? | DJI Inspire Forum
Post #5
To answer your question though - I believe if is NOT recommended to use that software without a barometer equipped tablet. You would be relying upon GPS for altitude data which is woefully inaccurate.

I'm planning on my using my Bad Elf GPS for position data. That should be lot more accurate than than the built-in GPS. After all, don't some private Pilots use the Bad Elf units hooked up to an iPad for actual navigation?

I'm planning on my using my Bad Elf GPS for position data. That should be lot more accurate than than the built-in GPS. After all, don't some private Pilots use the Bad Elf units hooked up to an iPad for actual navigation?
No - GPS altitude data is useless (in fact it's banned in many air competitions - Red Bull etc).
It is due to the model GPS uses for the shape of the Earth which works fine for mean sea level but useless for the accurate altitude measurement due to errors in the geoid.

No - GPS altitude data is useless (in fact it's banned in many air competitions - Red Bull etc).
It is due to the model GPS uses for the shape of the Earth which works fine for mean sea level but useless for the accurate altitude measurement due to errors in the geoid.

Very interesting. I suppose those pilots that ARE using the Bad Elf set-up are also using their altimeter, which is, of course, barometric in nature. Since I usually run boats with a GPS this hasn't occurred to me. Thanks.

Very interesting. I suppose those pilots that ARE using the Bad Elf set-up are also using their altimeter, which is, of course, barometric in nature. Since I usually run boats with a GPS this hasn't occurred to me. Thanks.
No worries. Yup pilots will always zero/calibrate their altimeter before take off.
GPS for boats is great - 2 dimensions.... :)

Reactions: Mark V

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84