Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Waypoint Mode

Regarding camera usage. I just selected "Over Exposure Warning" in DJI Go but that does not show up in Autopilot. This is a feature i have turned on all the time so if there is some way to make this work in Autopilot then switching back and forth (assuming that leaving DJI Go open can be made to work) would be OK by me until you can get camera controls in Autopilot.

Caching of maps is also critical for me since I fly away from Cell range 75% of the time. DJI Go does allow caching of maps by turning on the feature and then by scrolling around in satellite view. This is so inexact and I am sure you guys can do this much better.

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet...offline planned waypoints for photogrammetry.

Your own FC gives you huge advantage over the competition who are struggling with DJIs inconsistent SDK implementations. Yours could be like butter with large number of waypoints...hopefully.

1. Overlap and parallel track calculation based on height and custom polygon size/shape. (like original DJI GS s/w without the clunk)
2. Adaptive bank turns.
3. Super fast travel to first waypoints and fast return to home when finished.
3. Single mission with multiple flights with a battery change for large areas.
4. Optional automatic oblique images to build 3D models for good representation of vertical surfaces.
5. Cloud processing is not a priority for me as there is very limited control of the post processing for serious mapping. Better left to dedicated software e.g Photoscan Pro, ImageJ for NDVI etc.

The all in one apps have their market, DD, Pix4D, MME. What is needed is a multi optioned dedicated flight only function for mapping... all we need is good flight programming.

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet...offline planned waypoints for photogrammetry.

Your own FC gives you huge advantage over the competition who are struggling with DJIs inconsistent SDK implementations. Yours could be like butter with large number of waypoints...hopefully.

1. Overlap and parallel track calculation based on height and custom polygon size/shape. (like original DJI GS s/w without the clunk)
2. Adaptive bank turns.
3. Super fast travel to first waypoints and fast return to home when finished.
3. Single mission with multiple flights with a battery change for large areas.
4. Optional automatic oblique images to build 3D models for good representation of vertical surfaces.
5. Cloud processing is not a priority for me as there is very limited control of the post processing for serious mapping. Better left to dedicated software e.g Photoscan Pro, ImageJ for NDVI etc.

The all in one apps have their market, DD, Pix4D, MME. What is needed is a multi optioned dedicated flight only function for mapping... all we need is good flight programming.
To me this seems like such a specialized field better left to the programs you mentioned and much different from general waypoint flying mostly used for video.

Actions anywhere on flight path
On the waypoints I would love to see spline implementation. Basically instead of hard points the are smoothed like if you used a pen tool.
Create missions on computer preferably with Google Earth or other custom program.
Really appreciate the great ideas guys, but here is the challenge. Many users are saying that Autopilot is too complicated already, and while these features are awesome, it won't exactly serve the purpose of making this app less complicated. Are you open to the idea of having a basic Waypoint Mode included in the existing Autopilot app that addresses 80% of what people want, and the perhaps a separate, pro level app that handles the other, more complicated 20%? If there was such a split, what would the basic Waypoint Mode look like to you, and what would the pro level one look like? Our preference would be to roll out the basic version with a pricing structure in the same order of magnitude as the current mode upgrades, but the ideas you guys are suggesting go beyond what this pricing could justify.

When DJI Go was open though Autopilot reports "Searching for Inspire 1" so if have to close DJI Go then i think that rules out even split screen no? am i missing something?
The current version of Autopilot gives up its connection to the aircraft when the app goes into the background if it is not engaged. This is one of the things that would need to be changed (part of our process of "looking into it").

This is more akin to what we are calling Grid Mode, and to be honest it is probably outside the scope of the current Autopilot app (as Greg says below). We are looking into the possibilities, and have even been contacted by some of the major players in this space already, but if we do go this direction it will probably be a separate "pro" level app with a much different pricing structure (given the effort involved and the target audience). This would be a different pro app from the one discussed above, as it would be focused on commercial and industrials uses, such as surveying, vs the pro level waypoint app that would be more focused on cinematography.

Reactions: damoncooper
impossible to create a nice smooth path without creating an unmanageable number of waypoints
Another thing to think about are alternate Modes that can accomplish your goal better than Waypoint. For example, what about the idea of Playback Mode, where you fly a course and then Autopilot can execute the same exact flight again? Would such a mode satisfy the majority of your perceived need for Waypoint Mode - to the point where you would prefer to use it over Waypoint Mode?

Another thing to think about are alternate Modes that can accomplish your goal better than Waypoint. For example, what about the idea of Playback Mode, where you fly a course and then Autopilot can execute the same exact flight again? Would such a mode satisfy the majority of your perceived need for Waypoint Mode - to the point where you would prefer to use it over Waypoint Mode?

Would this mode create a number of waypoints along -say- a curved path automatically for use during Playback mode?

Would this mode create a number of waypoints along -say- a curved path automatically for use during Playback mode?
There are two possibilities, both involving sampling at about 100ms:
  1. Create a series of "waypoints", which would be tied to a specific location
  2. Record the actual Joystick inputs from the RC and just apply the same inputs from any given starting location - meaning you could record maneuvers and then play them back at any location

I think that one of the biggest disappointments for most people (based on posts that i have read) in the DJI app is not being able to pre-plan the waypoint missions. Once in the field bright sun and other distractions make it much more difficult. Battery usage is also an issue if you have to pre-fly it to record it. If it was short mission sure but otherwise much easier to pre-plan. Take for example a golf course job; I would plan and save each hole then go to fly them just by loading them up.

I think that one of the biggest disappointments for most people (based on posts that i have read) in the DJI app is not being able to pre-plan the waypoint missions.
Pre-flight planning is a given for Waypoint Mode, don't worry. Playback Mode would be more for a film director that wants a very specific, custom flight path that is best executed by a professional pilot, but wants to capture the same scene over and over (multiple takes).

There are two possibilities, both involving sampling at about 100ms:
  1. Create a series of "waypoints", which would be tied to a specific location
  2. Record the actual Joystick inputs from the RC and just apply the same inputs from any given starting location - meaning you could record maneuvers and then play them back at any location
I do like both of these options.

1. When recording waypoints from a path that I fly first, i assume that i would have the ability to save and tweak it before flying it or playing it back just like a normal mission?

2. is super cool. It would be similar to when you are in the DJI app and replaying your flight from the flight logs. I am guessing no way to tweak this before replaying?

EDIT: wouldnt wind affect #2 if you are just simulating stick inputs? ie second run has windier conditions.

1. When recording waypoints from a path that I fly first, i assume that i would have the ability to save and tweak it before flying it or playing it back just like a normal mission?
Saving yes, but tweaking might be strange depending on the sampling rate, as there could literally be thousands of waypoints (not a great experience trying to select individual map pins in that case). Maybe there could be different sampling options to not lay down so many points - the only issue becomes the splining stuff. Any thoughts on splitting that out into a pro version?

I am guessing no way to tweak this before replaying?
Probably not, but there could be an option (maybe in a pro version) that allows you to record various maneuvers and "paste" them together into a mission. We've even had the idea of being able to upload maneuvers to an online portal so you can share them with other users with an up-voting system to see who can create the coolest ones.

EDIT: wouldnt wind affect #2 if you are just simulating stick inputs? ie second run has windier conditions.
Absolutely, which is where a third option could apply, which is closer to option 1 (tons of waypoints) but where you can remap the starting point to somewhere else and then it will attempt to fly the same path and course, accounting for wind.

A bit off topic, but a super sweet $0.99 in-app purchase for Inspire owners would be a "Gimbal Stop Smoothing" option where you guys feather off the gimbal yaw and pitch gimbal movements of the operator for a buttery smooth ending.

Gains only go so far.

A bit off topic, but a super sweet $0.99 in-app purchase for Inspire owners would be a "Gimbal Stop Smoothing" option where you guys feather off the gimbal yaw and pitch gimbal movements of the operator for a buttery smooth ending.

Gains only go so far.

I assume you are referring to what others call "ramping."

In my opinion I feel the camera controls throughout the application are much needed. Switching between apps is very much clumsy. I want a goto app that looks professional and handles all the key points.

On the waypoints I would love to see spline implementation. Basically instead of hard points the are smoothed like if you used a pen tool. They would be much more beneficial to people using a planed course to get a shot. It will be fluid. Take a look at 3DR's tower app for this.

Here is also a video...

I totally agree, this would be awesome if you can come up with something like this, it has all the functionality one could want in a ground station. This is an outstanding example.

We are hard at work creating Waypoint Mode, but we need your feedback to make it great. Have an idea for what you would like to see in Waypoint Mode? Post your idea here and it may make it into the next release!

UPDATE: If you have multiple ideas, please post them in priority order.

Android version would be a good start.

Really appreciate the great ideas guys, but here is the challenge. Many users are saying that Autopilot is too complicated already, and while these features are awesome, it won't exactly serve the purpose of making this app less complicated.
This is my observation as well. I can't imagine using software during flight that I don't understand in the first place, nor would I apply a flight when I don't understand exactly what the bird will do when I apply it. I've watched your focus video three times and yet I could never really be comfortable during flight setting up the same thing because I still don't really get it. Just because you get it doesn't make it relatable. How about a simulator, where the user can practice and understand all of the control parameters and the ramifications of applying them. I just would not ever try and figure out how to set and apply a maneuver with a bird hovering in the sky waiting - a 3k bird, for that matter. Flight school is off putting, making it seem even more complicated putting it all into words. Only when a pilot can fly in simulation can they learn how to use your software safely. Do that first and then push on. My two cents.

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but one thing that would be tremendously helpful for WP mode is the ability to use Google Maps, instead of Apple Maps. In my area of MN, once outside the Twin Cities, many parts of rural MN in Apple Maps has very low resolution. I'm sure it's not an isolated instance, and there are probably areas of the world where Apple Maps are better. Having an option to use either one or the other would be the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Good idea to introduce at least a basic waypoint mode first with the option to develop an advanced version later.
Features.
Ability to pre program multiple waypoints by map selection
Specify height for each waypoint.
Option to have fixed camera heading camera point to next waypoint.
A set of grid or pattern templates.
Those features should satisfy most users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44