Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Awesome SRP Filters for the Inspire 1 {VIDEO}

Hate to add anything to this heated thread but will warn people that if you are travelling the same direction (Heading) the pola works great but if you are changing heading during a shot the sky will change density considerably. Also you may find one side of the sky darker than the other if the filter is not set perfectly for your sun angle. This only applies to indie filmmakers of course. ; )

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Cool! I'm goad I could help. Here's a clip showing the same filter used with and without the glare cut.
Thank you very much for this information. I just ordered the filters. I have about 10hrs on the machine at this point and still trying get comfortable with the camera. Most of my shooting has been in auto mode but I will now start using the 180 rule. I have another question that you might be able to help me with. I also like to shoot stills and I have been having trouble getting an image good enough that it can be blown up. I send the files to bumble jack and they tell me that the highest they can go is like 12x18 before loosing resolution. Is there a way to set the picture size on the I1.

I have purchased others and they were junk, I received my set of SRP filters two weeks ago and they are awesome! $100 but well worth it! I have a very large 4k monitor and they are better than everything else I have tested. The customer service was great as well. I would prefer to deal with a US company.

Reactions: Chad johnson
Thank you very much for this information. I just ordered the filters. I have about 10hrs on the machine at this point and still trying get comfortable with the camera. Most of my shooting has been in auto mode but I will now start using the 180 rule. I have another question that you might be able to help me with. I also like to shoot stills and I have been having trouble getting an image good enough that it can be blown up. I send the files to bumble jack and they tell me that the highest they can go is like 12x18 before loosing resolution. Is there a way to set the picture size on the I1.
RGD, there is only one size of photo on the Inspire. I think what they meant is that when you print out the photo they should be 12x18. Anyway, I think it's probably best to shoot photos with no filter, or the DJI ND4 that comes with it. That way you can get your shutter to at least 1/500 for max sharpness. The SRP filters will show some vignetting in the corners in photo mode at 4:3 aspect ratio. Make sure you shoot RAW photos, as the JPEG photos aren't very detailed. I shoot in RAW/JPEG so I can quickly identify the photos, then edit the RAW. I have not done a lot of photos, but in my tests that's what I've found.

I tried not to write this post but cant stop myself.
Let me give you an example shooting 30 frames per second (its the same principal for shooting 60 frames).
Lets assume your filming your boat going along a course.
For each frame the shutter opens for the set period of time
When the shutter is open for 1/60 th second the frame will be open for say five feet of travel.
at the same boat speed If your shutter speed is open at 1/8000 th second your frame will record just a few inches of travel
if every frame is just a few inches of travel the film looks jerky, even though it is not. the longer shutter opening allows more distance for your boat for each frame.
approximately twice the shutter speed of the frame rate is what is generally agreed provides the most natural looking footage regardless of whether or not you are going to slomo your footage.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Additionally, for 60fps the 1/120 shutter speed will give less smear, so the high action stuff will look more sharp as is desired by the guy asking.

I remark in general that when CPL used, always the examples show 1 direction shooting. What when turn your bird in another angle ? The result is worse as using no CPL. So I prefer not using CPL for video to keep some freedom of angle. A graduated filter, we are preparing to produce, will give a more equal exposure of the image, not blowing up the skies to get the right exposure on the landscape. Flying the Inspire is not the same as having your camera on a tripod and being able to change the CPL degree.

I remark in general that when CPL used, always the examples show 1 direction shooting. What when turn your bird in another angle ? The result is worse as using no CPL. So I prefer not using CPL for video to keep some freedom of angle. A graduated filter, we are preparing to produce, will give a more equal exposure of the image, not blowing up the skies to get the right exposure on the landscape. Flying the Inspire is not the same as having your camera on a tripod and being able to change the CPL degree.
Thank you Editor ! Practical thinking...

Fly at noon at the equator, CPL can be used at any direction. I'm serious, and lucky enough to be able to do this a couple of times a year. For all other times, I have Rainbower's filters.

Reactions: Rainbowers
Fly at noon at the equator, CPL can be used at any direction. I'm serious, and lucky enough to be able to do this a couple of times a year. For all other times, I have Rainbower's filters.
pleased to read people who share the same ideas, keep their feet on the floor and not making heads foolish with CPL. This is pro and the reason of existence of a forum.

I just dont know if spending $100 on filters is going to yeild me any results id like

If you like the crisp, jumpy video that a fast shutter speed gives you, then you don't need or want these. That's your creative choice.

But in general, video looks better when the shutter speed is 1 / (frame rate * 2). So if you are shooting 60 frames/second, your ideal shutter speed is 1/125th of a second. The major benefit to this method is that for each frame of video, the shutter is open for half of the time, and you get a good balance between avoiding blur (as you would be more likely to get at 1/60th of a second) and jumpy video (as you would be more likely to get at 1/1000th of a second).

Here is an example. You are shooting 60 frames/second, but it's very bright, so your shutter speed ends up at 1/1000th of a second. Each video frame occupies 1/60th of a second, or 0.0167 seconds. When your shutter speed is 1/1000th of a second, the camera is only recording for 0.001 of that 0.167 seconds. In other words, you are only recording 1/167th of what occurs.

My advice is to get these SRP filters and give them a try. Pay close attention to the shutter speed reported on the Pilot App. I think you will find that you prefer the video that you get with the filters. And since you said to do wakeboarding videos, don't forget the big advantage that the circular polarizing filter gives you also.

If you're shooting at 1080p60 then your shutter should be 120 anyway, which is faster. That's the 180 rule for video.
Actually, it's more of a guideline than a rule. Selecting a shutter speed that is 1/(2 * frame rate) tends to give excellent results in most cases. But if you are making a different creative choice, and you want your footage to look jumpy like the Jason Bourne movies, then a super-high frame rate is your friend.

If you like the crisp, jumpy video that a fast shutter speed gives you, then you don't need or want these. That's your creative choice.

But in general, video looks better when the shutter speed is 1 / (frame rate * 2). So if you are shooting 60 frames/second, your ideal shutter speed is 1/125th of a second. The major benefit to this method is that for each frame of video, the shutter is open for half of the time, and you get a good balance between avoiding blur (as you would be more likely to get at 1/60th of a second) and jumpy video (as you would be more likely to get at 1/1000th of a second).

Here is an example. You are shooting 60 frames/second, but it's very bright, so your shutter speed ends up at 1/1000th of a second. Each video frame occupies 1/60th of a second, or 0.0167 seconds. When your shutter speed is 1/1000th of a second, the camera is only recording for 0.001 of that 0.167 seconds. In other words, you are only recording 1/167th of what occurs.

My advice is to get these SRP filters and give them a try. Pay close attention to the shutter speed reported on the Pilot App. I think you will find that you prefer the video that you get with the filters. And since you said to do wakeboarding videos, don't forget the big advantage that the circular polarizing filter gives you also.
Yep, I bought the SRP CP/ND (ND8 & ND16) filters and I am very pleased with the results of my video's using these filters.
So I agree with you, these are super filters!

Has anyone tried the "Polar-Pro" ND filter set for the Inspire 1 yet? I bought a set, but I'm still waiting for my bird to come home from LA so I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I had a little depth perception error which cost me, so far, 6 weeks of flying.

RGD, there is only one size of photo on the Inspire. I think what they meant is that when you print out the photo they should be 12x18. Anyway, I think it's probably best to shoot photos with no filter, or the DJI ND4 that comes with it. That way you can get your shutter to at least 1/500 for max sharpness. The SRP filters will show some vignetting in the corners in photo mode at 4:3 aspect ratio. Make sure you shoot RAW photos, as the JPEG photos aren't very detailed. I shoot in RAW/JPEG so I can quickly identify the photos, then edit the RAW. I have not done a lot of photos, but in my tests that's what I've found.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44