Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Balancing Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm Lens

Reaction score
Question for those of you that have the 45mm Olympus lens listed as supported by the Zenmuse X5.
According to the DJI specs, the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 does not require a balancing weight (no asterisk beside the lens). Is this correct?
When I attached the 45mm lens to the X5, it appears to be back heavy which would suggest that a balance ring or lens hood would be required.
Any guidance?

From DJI SPECS (Zenmuse X5’s specifications, FAQ, video tutorials, and DJI GO | DJI)
DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH *
Panasonic Lumix 15mm f/1.7 *
Olympus M. ED 12mm f/2.0
Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 *
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ *
(photography only)
Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8
(photography only)
*Requires a balancing weight

Thanks.

I bought one last week. Tried it out with just a UV filter - works fine, it doesn't balance but the gimbal motors have not overheated, as yet. So I'll carry on and see what happens.

By being back heavy it means you need more weight on the front obviously. Why don't you try going down to your local camera store and see if they have a filter that will fit the front of the lens. You may be able to find one that's the right weight.
I can see that. I was just seeing if what he did worked and I was going to duplicate it. I just ordered the balancing kit. I’ll update the post once I find out if it works or not.

Reactions: Bigdz
45mm #5.jpg Here are some pictures of my balancing of the lens. I purchased lenses (both the 12mm and the 45mm) used, and the hood came with the 12mm, but fits both. Balancing weights are velcro attached, and purchased off eBay from a UK source. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 45mm #1.jpg
    45mm #1.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 45mm #2.jpg
    45mm #2.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 45mm #3.jpg
    45mm #3.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 45mm #4.jpg
    45mm #4.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Lesmess
With or without an ND filter on the lens, the balance is front heavy, and requires balance weight on the gimbal as shown in earlier pictures I posted. No need for a balance ring.
The suggestion up above for BlueTac and coins as balancing weights is probably a good one. I am using lead weights and velcro, but they can interfere with the gimbal frame if not positioned carefully due to their thickness.

I finally balanced mine used 2 rings and one uv: rings: BR0.37.8(one for I2) and Sensi 37-46mm step up ring...sure you can switch out an ND for the UV filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08