Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nils,
can you confirm if your X5 is attached to an older inspire one or a Pro a V2 both with more powerful motors ?
if it is an older one, It may well be that the extra weight of the X5 is reaching close to the limit.
I can confirm that I am on a older version of the Inspire 1. And I do not think that I am on the limit of the weight. My Inspire 1 flies very well - it is just change from before X5 - that is normal and I am starting to get used to it. I am mainly flying for video and I fly single so I am very vulnerable to change in flight characteristics.

Two 1300mah 6S's with a TB48 main battery will yield:

- 25min with an X3 to 10% (confirmed by me),

- 17min with an X5 to 30% (confirmed by Steve Mandel, a friend and well known photographer who took this setup to Antartica recently with special permits to film there).
Good to know, thank you. Might give it a try.

After a bunch of experimentation, here's my current mounting solution. Weights almost nothing but I can pick up the entire aircraft by the external LiPo it's so strong. But it HAS to be 3M Dual Lock. It's rated at 1.5LB's per square inch for 10,000 hours at 200F. Do NOT try this with velcro. Your batteries could detach, hit the props, and puncture, resulting in a fire or mid air explosion. That would be bad.

View attachment 4581 View attachment 4582 View attachment 4583 View attachment 4584 View attachment 4585 View attachment 4586 View attachment 4587
Hello Damon-Thank You! for posting these instructions! I've been googling trying to find those batteries in your pics--Could you please put a link to those exact batteries? Cant wait to get this done!

These exact batteries in green are on the web and eBay has numerous ones under 1 lbs for less $ . My question is why not put two a total of two of them totaling the 5700 mah of the t48? This could really increase the flying time?
you have to be carful and keep the balance between weight and performance. if it is to heavy the extra energy you have will puff away instead of increased time in the air and you also might end up in having less at the end.

i plan to upgrade my first tb47 that came with the AC. i will put up 2x 2500mAh 3S - have those at hand and will see how they will do. lightweight. turnagy nano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have to be carful and keep the balance between weight and performance. if it is to heavy the extra energy you have will puff away instead of increased time in the air and you also might end up in having less at the end.

i plan to upgrade my first tb47 that came with the AC. i will put up 2x 2500mAh 3S - have those at hand and will see how they will do. lightweight. turnagy nano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, can you please tell me the weight and C-rating on those batteries?

Last edited:
There are so many different ones available in physical size and weight and ah! They all have weights listed. However, I have not as yet seen any good images of the wiring required to hook two auxillery wires to the basic batteries. Also would you charge the auxillery batteries hooked up to the main on the dji unit or separately with a li on charger?

There are so many different ones available in physical size and weight and ah! They all have weights listed. However, I have not as yet seen any good images of the wiring required to hook two auxillery wires to the basic batteries. Also would you charge the auxillery batteries hooked up to the main on the dji unit or separately with a li on charger?
The wiring is quite simple and available in the first post in this tread, just download the document.
You need to charge these extra batteries separate and only charge the DJI batt with the original charger.

These exact batteries in green are on the web and eBay has numerous ones under 1 lbs for less $ . My question is why not put two a total of two of them totaling the 5700 mah of the t48? This could really increase the flying time?
I'm not as experienced with these batteries--I too saw so many different ones I'm kinda confused--could someone please link to the proper battery for this mod ( I know there are many, many options) I was hoping for a link to "recommended" batteries--Thanks!

One observation is that with batteries of different sizes, the side batteries drain first and at some point the main battery is powering not only the aircraft but also charging the external batteries, creating unneeded drain on the main battery in the last 3rd of flight.

So I think in future tests I will try more closely matching external and internal battery capacities.

Two tests I think I will queue up are using two 3S MultiStar 5200's with a TB48 and using two 3S 4500's with a TB47.

See my observation above though on battery mismatch. The main really gets hit hard when the aux batteries are depleted as it has to power the aircraft (and aux battery dead weight) as well as charge the aux batteries. The projected flight time was near 30min before reality kicked in and the poor TB48 had to pull double duty in the last 3rd of the flight. The flight time remaining plummeted and landed me only 25min.

I think more closely mirroring main battery capacity with the external battery should prevent this backflow of current as all batteries drain at a similar rate.

Two 3S's in series act as one 6S and by matching mah capacity to the main I think I should be in a much better place to reach for 30 min.

Now if it would just stop raining......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1