Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually not very true. With aux batts, main batt does not really warm up enough. While I almost always fly with aux batts and it serves me great, when its really cold, like 0 deg C, it is better to fly without as both main and aux batts remain too cold.

In cold weather, simply attach a piece of 1/8" thick foam to the outside of the inspire battery box to insulate the whole compartment. I also wrap the aux packs in insulation as well. Flew in 26 degrees yesterday and 17mph wind. From the Go App I monitored the battery temp. Max was 35-40 degrees C. Aux batteries were just slightly warm. 24 minutes in 17mph wind.
In 0 degrees on our big rigs with 16,000 or 22,000 mah packs we have to warm them in a insulated box or put them in the car on the floor with the heat on or you're screwed. Cold Lipo's are useless and actually dangerous on heavy lift.

You guys worry about voiding the warranty with a bird side mod but Im not sure really why. The plate where you would solder the wires could simply be unsoldered or if you were really paranoid...replaced. Even so, its not like DJI can't pull the flight logs and see 30 minute run time anyway regardless of the mod.

Reactions: staf
Yes i have it ....
it works as advertised , pretty easy to install / remove...
another benefit is that if you have a brand new battery using this mod it wont void the Dji warranty of six months...

Good morning from Greece

The only thing that about this Im concerned about is the original battery connections loosing tension and being able to maintain a good connection when this isn't used.

The only thing that about this Im concerned about is the original battery connections loosing tension and being able to maintain a good connection when this isn't used.
After 10 flights with the TB48 and this mod i did not notice any problem
while flying the same original battery alone...

Imo the battery mod experiment turned out very well
but 25 - 30 minute mark of flight time with TB48 battery and X3 camera
is as far as it gets and i am very pleased with it....
Also the redudancy this mod provides saved a lot of birds falling like bricks....
I would like to thank all the people for posting their results
and conclusions from their attempts....

Reactions: jlrsn
Also i want to mention that the battery mod has two types of people using it
A)The ones that are concerned only for battery redudancy in which small external batteries in capacity are used just in case of a main battery failure
B)The ones that want to extended the flight time along with the battery redudancy and they use bigger external batteries in capacity to achieve that...

Reactions: tcchow
I am in the redundancy category - would this plug in adaptor be ok and what size battery's would be the best?

DJI inspire mods new easy power adaptor phantom 3 pro/adv

i'd say the XT 60/90 are the most comon used in the industry during the last years. i would use those if i'd not live in an automotive production family business. - i do so i get my hands on stuff that would be hard to get or impossible for someone outside the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is that little adapter that that place in the UK is selling? They really don't show much for pictures..

Any one think about 3D printing a holder for the batteries? I stumbled on a enclosure that has holders for hand warmers, but with a little work would easily handle external batteries too. Thoughts?

Any one think about 3D printing a holder for the batteries? I stumbled on a enclosure that has holders for hand warmers, but with a little work would easily handle external batteries too. Thoughts?

Already posted. Look back in this thread and you will find what your looking for.

UK PFAW holder
BNUC-S qualified

there are holders made by member on the forum here. one is designed to be kind of next to the original holding two smaller mha on each side the other one is lower able to hold lager one with enough clearance for the props. have check in the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking purely at redundancy and keeping weight low can anyone recommend a battery?

Am I correct in think that effectively we are tricking the Inspire into thinking it has a larger mAh battery connected?

Therefore if the Inspire battery has a sudden drop in voltage the 2nd battery will provide enough power to land?

Has anyone been forced to test this in real life!!

Reactions: Blacksails
I carried out this mod with a TB47 and everything appeared fine. The battery turned on and off and charged correctly as before, all led lights worked in the correct sequence, I was pleased with myself. BUT when I put it in the inspire, the camera did its usual dance and then the LED status light on the aircraft turned solid red (critical error). A warning on the screen said " motor overload". No batteries were attached to the leads, they were just left hanging and sealed at the ends. I contacted most of the reputable dealers in the Industry to see if they would carry out the mod, but they all refused, and I understand why (warranty issues etc). Really have a problem now as I wonder if the firmware can detect 'tampering', I am considering buying the modified battery from FlyingHigh USA, but still worried about firmware upgrades that could make the operation null and void at a later date. Any comments would really be appreciated.

Just found out the problem a good sharp-eyed friend spotted insulation tape on data contacts. This was removed and all is well. Going to try 2 X 13000 mah 6S in parallel with X5 and see flight times can approach 20 mins.

Reactions: tcchow and Zeus
Anyone tried the Inspire 2 yet, also for a battery mod?
I got one, and these are the results:
Inspire 2 battery and duration tests

Maybe we should open a separate thread like this in the I2 forum?

Did some I2 testing without cam/gimbal (not delivered yet)...

Some full throttle in GPS and Atti, some hovering, very little Sports mode.
Outside temp 4 deg Celsius.
Wind speed 5 m/s
20 m/s against wind, all modes
30 m/s atti and sports 26 m/s gps with the wind
Battery to 10%: 15:35
Second test, a bit warmer (8° C), but very windy (gusts of up to 50 mph): duration to 10% 20 minutes

Hovering test inside to 10% at 20 deg Celsius: 26:08 mins

Seems to me that because the batteries are "open to the air" at almost all sides, it performs very badly in cold weather.

15 or even 20 minutes flying doesn't seem long to me...

As for distance, 3 km without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALWAnna671