Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is in the UK. I just got mine a few days ago but haven't had time to get out and test it. Looks good though :)

Hi there, I have ordered the battery connector and the battery support plate, It's on its way.

Have you managed to try it yet? And if so what batteries are you using?

Regards

George

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Hi there, I have ordered the battery connector and the battery support plate, It's on its way.

Have you managed to try it yet? And if so what batteries are you using?

Regards

George

Hey George it works great! I love mine.

I'm getting 23min of smooth flying with the x5.

What kind of times are others getting at best with x5?

I got so buzzed up after getting some QR prop plates and T-Motor 1448's I forgot to test the battery connector. I need to get out again this week so I might do it then.

Also, I didn't to put one of the battery holders on because it makes it difficult to put in to your case so I need to look at modding something else and printing it out. I will let you know how I get on and post a pic of the battery holder I am thinking of creating :)

I was planning on using some 3S 2200mah Zippys to test with and see where to go from there.

Exciting :)

AND at not a bad cost point . I might buy 1 set and see how it goes. Thanks!

Hold on. I should read stuff before I get so excited. 2S. Won't work :(

Hi guys!
I've started preparing for a battery mod for one of my TB47s, and I purchased a couple of 2200mah 11.1V batteries, meaning to run them in series.
d6aa958ac68b2eb7dddb3180bb32f4d8.jpg

I've charged both, but now when I measure the output voltage, my multimeter reads 12.5V output from each.
In my world, this means the combined series voltage output will be 25V, and not the target 22.2V.
Will this work anyway, or should I just abandon these batteries and go with something more within target range?

Also; the batteries came supplied with T-plug connectors, is it preferred to replace them with XT-60s or should I just use the T's in a harness? Will connector converters work?

-Tom

Hi guys!
I've started preparing for a battery mod for one of my TB47s, and I purchased a couple of 2200mah 11.1V batteries, meaning to run them in series.

I've charged both, but now when I measure the output voltage, my multimeter reads 12.5V output from each.
In my world, this means the combined series voltage output will be 25V, and not the target 22.2V.
Will this work anyway, or should I just abandon these batteries and go with something more within target range?

Also; the batteries came supplied with T-plug connectors, is it preferred to replace them with XT-60s or should I just use the T's in a harness? Will connector converters work?

-Tom

T-connectors will work fine, XT60 if you prefer but I would avoid any converters. The less connectors you have, the better. PLEASE BE CAREFUL SOLDERING BATTERY LEADS. This is common sense but I've seen so many people make stupid mistakes. Don't cut the wires together at the same time (duh). Ideally, do one lead first and then the other, that way you reduce the time you have exposed leads out in the open.

12.5V seems right. Remember, the cells at full charge are at 4.15-4.20 volts. The 22.2V rating is based on a 3.7v cell--I'm not sure what this voltage is called in the battery world, but this is "normal" voltage. If you assume each cell in the inspire battery is fully charged at 4.15 volts, then multiply by 6, you end up with a 25 volt battery. Someone please chime in and confirm this, I'm not a battery guru and even though I did my research way back when I got into RC hobbies, I can't say I'm an expert on batteries...

Reactions: tbenjaminsen
T-connectors will work fine, XT60 if you prefer but I would avoid any converters. The less connectors you have, the better. PLEASE BE CAREFUL SOLDERING BATTERY LEADS. This is common sense but I've seen so many people make stupid mistakes. Don't cut the wires together at the same time (duh). Ideally, do one lead first and then the other, that way you reduce the time you have exposed leads out in the open.

12.5V seems right. Remember, the cells at full charge are at 4.15-4.20 volts. The 22.2V rating is based on a 3.7v cell--I'm not sure what this voltage is called in the battery world, but this is "normal" voltage. If you assume each cell in the inspire battery is fully charged at 4.15 volts, then multiply by 6, you end up with a 25 volt battery. Someone please chime in and confirm this, I'm not a battery guru and even though I did my research way back when I got into RC hobbies, I can't say I'm an expert on batteries...

Great, thanks a lot for this very useful information!

I guess you're referring to soldering directly to the solderpoints beneath the controller.
I've seen that others are talking about soldered directly to the golden brass(?) connectors that connects into the original DJI TB4x battery.
What would the (dis)advantages in such an approach be?

Great, thanks a lot for this very useful information!

I guess you're referring to soldering directly to the solderpoints beneath the controller.
I've seen that others are talking about soldered directly to the golden brass(?) connectors that connects into the original DJI TB4x battery.
What would the (dis)advantages in such an approach be?

I meant if you choose to change to XT60 connectors, you will need to cut off the current T-connectors and then solder XT60s onto your batteries. Be careful soldering batteries since they are live! Same thing goes if you solder to the Inspire batteries, be careful not to cross the leads.

As for the bird-side (soldering directly to the brass/golden connectors on the aircraft) or battery-side mod, I chose to go with the bird-side mod. Reason being I didn't want to modify each of my batteries and I wanted to be able to run auxiliary batteries with any battery, so even if I had to borrow a battery or something, I could always use my extra ones with them. I also think the bird-side mod is a cleaner installation. The one downside I can think of the bird-side mod is that if you need warranty work, DJI will not warranty it. I had to send in my inspire for repair (out of warranty) and the DJI store person told me that the factory rejected to repair a modified Inspire. I sent mine in anyway to test my luck and they fixed it (and also helpfully, though unnecessarily, labeled my positive and negative wires for my extra batteries--I guess they tested it out of curiosity or something), so your mileage may vary. Overall, I have no regrets doing the bird-side mod but that's also because DJI helped me fix my inspire despite the mod--had they not, I think I would have a different opinion right now.

I think the bird-side mod is a little more involved in disassembling the bird and making the solder connection (it's a bit difficult to get to, you can see my previous posts in this thread about it. I ended up pulling the motor wires a little farther out from the arms to give more slack and the battery board came out and I was able to solder it without too much trouble. I consider the bird-side mod to require decent soldering skills whereas I think the battery mod requires low soldering skills and is easier for beginners, but is also a lot more dangerous especially for beginners). But at the same time, the battery side mod requires drilling and whatnot, so at the end of the day, the bird-side mod may actually be easier in my opinion. One additional risk with the bird-side mod is if you don't use an extra battery, you gotta make sure the connector is insulated and secured to the bird during flight, but the same applies to your modded batteries if you use them alone.

Hope this gives you some perspective. Let me know if you need any additional help!

Reactions: tbenjaminsen
I meant if you choose to change to XT60 connectors, you will need to cut off the current T-connectors and then solder XT60s onto your batteries. Be careful soldering batteries since they are live! Same thing goes if you solder to the Inspire batteries, be careful not to cross the leads.

As for the bird-side (soldering directly to the brass/golden connectors on the aircraft) or battery-side mod, I chose to go with the bird-side mod. Reason being I didn't want to modify each of my batteries and I wanted to be able to run auxiliary batteries with any battery, so even if I had to borrow a battery or something, I could always use my extra ones with them. I also think the bird-side mod is a cleaner installation. The one downside I can think of the bird-side mod is that if you need warranty work, DJI will not warranty it. I had to send in my inspire for repair (out of warranty) and the DJI store person told me that the factory rejected to repair a modified Inspire. I sent mine in anyway to test my luck and they fixed it (and also helpfully, though unnecessarily, labeled my positive and negative wires for my extra batteries--I guess they tested it out of curiosity or something), so your mileage may vary. Overall, I have no regrets doing the bird-side mod but that's also because DJI helped me fix my inspire despite the mod--had they not, I think I would have a different opinion right now.

I think the bird-side mod is a little more involved in disassembling the bird and making the solder connection (it's a bit difficult to get to, you can see my previous posts in this thread about it. I ended up pulling the motor wires a little farther out from the arms to give more slack and the battery board came out and I was able to solder it without too much trouble. I consider the bird-side mod to require decent soldering skills whereas I think the battery mod requires low soldering skills and is easier for beginners, but is also a lot more dangerous especially for beginners). But at the same time, the battery side mod requires drilling and whatnot, so at the end of the day, the bird-side mod may actually be easier in my opinion. One additional risk with the bird-side mod is if you don't use an extra battery, you gotta make sure the connector is insulated and secured to the bird during flight, but the same applies to your modded batteries if you use them alone.

Hope this gives you some perspective. Let me know if you need any additional help!

Really, really helpful! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]
I'll look into the amount of work/skill required as per your birdside mod recommendation, and make a decision later. I consider myself an OK+ solderer, so hopefully I'm in the clear.
Thanks a ton, I'll remember your offer for additional help if needed [emoji846]

-Tom

Yes i have it ....
it works as advertised , pretty easy to install / remove...
another benefit is that if you have a brand new battery using this mod it wont void the Dji warranty of six months...

Good morning from Greece

Hi there, I too have bought this battery connector, with the cable that allows connection of 2 batteries with XT60 connector into the single XT60 connector on the battery mod clip connector.

So far, probably due to ignorance of LiPo Batteires and lack of patience, I have not faired too good. I bought 2 x 6s 1300mha 22 volt nanotech batteries from hobbyking.

So far I have shorted both batteries (a bang and some smoke!) when connecting them to my Inspire 1 Pro. The i1 Pro is OK, thankfully.

I have tried to get some definite guidance from the battery mod clip supplier, on the order/procedure for connecting the mod clip, connecting cable and external batteries and powering on the i1, but just get vague replies.

So if you could let me know how you connect it all up without the battery going bang! It would be appreciated. If you have knowledge on compatable batteries, that would be appreciated too, I'm more
Concerned with redundancy at the moment, so if main battery fails, the externals allow for a landing. I want keep the weight down, can a pair of 3s 2200mha 11.5 volts be used as I have a lot of them from a previous bird

This is an interesting subject and if I can get it to work, may avoid the need upgrade i2 .

Thanks

Hi there, I too have bought this battery connector, with the cable that allows connection of 2 batteries with XT60 connector into the single XT60 connector on the battery mod clip connector.

So far, probably due to ignorance of LiPo Batteires and lack of patience, I have not faired too good. I bought 2 x 6s 1300mha 22 volt nanotech batteries from hobbyking.

So far I have shorted both batteries (a bang and some smoke!) when connecting them to my Inspire 1 Pro. The i1 Pro is OK, thankfully.

I have tried to get some definite guidance from the battery mod clip supplier, on the order/procedure for connecting the mod clip, connecting cable and external batteries and powering on the i1, but just get vague replies.

So if you could let me know how you connect it all up without the battery going bang! It would be appreciated. If you have knowledge on compatable batteries, that would be appreciated too, I'm more
Concerned with redundancy at the moment, so if main battery fails, the externals allow for a landing. I want keep the weight down, can a pair of 3s 2200mha 11.5 volts be used as I have a lot of them from a previous bird

This is an interesting subject and if I can get it to work, may avoid the need upgrade i2 .

Thanks

You really need to read everything in this part of the forum and understand a lot about lipo batteries and above all respect them and be really careful with them. This should give you a basic understanding and hopefully get you moving the right safe way.

@George Templeman

With this setup there is no redundancy at all. The technology is not present that will switch to a spare battery back once your main battery gets to a low level. This set up will only allow you to get longer flights time and that is all.

You really need to read everything in this part of the forum and understand a lot about lipo batteries and above all respect them and be really careful with them. This should give you a basic understanding and hopefully get you moving the right safe way.

Thanks for the advice, did look at the Vid yesterday, all makes sense. I think my frustration was due to the fact I bought all the bat mod bits from the one supplier, but it lacked info on the connection procedure. I started at the bird end, and connected the battery last, where it appears it needs to be the other way round, connect external batteries and turn on the TB bat before making the final connection to the external batteries. Awaiting new bits to try again

Thanks for the advice, did look at the Vid yesterday, all makes sense. I think my frustration was due to the fact I bought all the bat mod bits from the one supplier, but it lacked info on the connection procedure. I started at the bird end, and connected the battery last, where it appears it needs to be the other way round, connect external batteries and turn on the TB bat before making the final connection to the external batteries. Awaiting new bits to try again

Just be careful how you are connecting al those 6S's up. How are you doing that serial or parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz