Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using this battery mod clip the supplied cable,
ec6d2042791df8aac10f4c7c0f773b6e.jpg
98d54783143fe70171ef8b582b8c9326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

In series output voltage on 2 x 6S batteries will be 2 x 22.6 = 45.2v don't connect that to your flight pack.
In parallel output would be 22.6 v but your mah would 2 x 1300mah = 2600mah which is okay.
You have to be sure what the cable is, series or parallel and then connect the correct batteries.
So if you want 6S on the output on two connected batteries then you would need 2 x 3S in series (equals 6S).
2 x 6s batteries in parallel will give you a 6S on the output but increased (double) mah.

In series output voltage on 2 x 6S batteries will be 2 x 22.6 = 45.2v don't connect that to your flight pack.
In parallel output would be 22.6 v but your mah would 2 x 1300mah = 2600mah which is okay.
You have to be sure what the cable is, series or parallel and then connect the correct batteries.
So if you want 6S on the output on two connected batteries then you would need 2 x 3S in series (equals 6S).
2 x 6s batteries in parallel will give you a 6S on the output but increased (double) mah.

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated. I will make contact with the cable supplier and get them to confirm if it's wired for series or parallel. I went for this option as it did not require the battery to be modified and then can be moved between batteries.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated. I will make contact with the cable supplier and get them to confirm if it's wired for series or parallel. I went for this option as it did not require the battery to be modified and then can be moved between batteries.

Update on my battery mishap

Firstly thanks to UAV Mods, who have supplied a new connection clip and battery connection cable free of charge! They have been very helpful. I did buy another 2 new external batteries

Tried it all yesterday afternoon. Installed the TB48 with the connection clip, mounted the 2 external 6s 1300mha (215g each) batteries on the mounting plate under the i1 Pro connected the external batteries to the connection wire, turned on the TB48, waited for the i1 to fire up, then, I have to say, with a bit of trepidation.....I connected the the connection cable to the battery clip..........it worked fine!

Did a simple hover test with the external batteries connected, got just over 15 min with the battery at 9% on landing. It was about 1 deg c external temp. A little disappointed with this, need to do a more serious test comparing an modified TB48 hover

Did get 2 motor overheat warning about 10 and 12 mins, but I need to look into that? Maybe just because it was not flying around, just hovering.

Lesson learnt, luckily with no major damage caused. Except for the original external batteries, which now appear be damaged, as I get a connection break error when trying to charge them. Not sure this mod gives any redundancy, just extra flight time. Redundancy is what I am after, if any one know of a mod that does that, let me know.

I will post some pictures of the modified i1 shortly.

Thanks again for the other helpful comments above.

Reactions: ash223
Update on my battery mishap

Firstly thanks to UAV Mods, who have supplied a new connection clip and battery connection cable free of charge! They have been very helpful. I did buy another 2 new external batteries

Tried it all yesterday afternoon. Installed the TB48 with the connection clip, mounted the 2 external 6s 1300mha (215g each) batteries on the mounting plate under the i1 Pro connected the external batteries to the connection wire, turned on the TB48, waited for the i1 to fire up, then, I have to say, with a bit of trepidation.....I connected the the connection cable to the battery clip..........it worked fine!

Did a simple hover test with the external batteries connected, got just over 15 min with the battery at 9% on landing. It was about 1 deg c external temp. A little disappointed with this, need to do a more serious test comparing an modified TB48 hover

Did get 2 motor overheat warning about 10 and 12 mins, but I need to look into that? Maybe just because it was not flying around, just hovering.

Lesson learnt, luckily with no major damage caused. Except for the original external batteries, which now appear be damaged, as I get a connection break error when trying to charge them. Not sure this mod gives any redundancy, just extra flight time. Redundancy is what I am after, if any one know of a mod that does that, let me know.

I will post some pictures of the modified i1 shortly.

Thanks again for the other helpful comments above.

Hi, your aux capacity is about half of what appears to be the optimum power:weight ratio, which is right around 6000mah or 2x3000 6S batteries. NTM, from all my reading, it takes a few charge/ discharge cycles to reach full capacity with a new battery.

I would also only recommend lihv as opposed to std lipos which are subject to slight overcharging when connecting a fully charged aux battery to a fully charged TBxx.

Reactions: tcchow
Hi, your aux capacity is about half of what appears to be the optimum power:weight ratio, which is right around 6000mah or 2x3000 6S batteries. NTM, from all my reading, it takes a few charge/ discharge cycles to reach full capacity with a new battery.

I would also only recommend lihv as opposed to std lipos which are subject to slight overcharging when connecting a fully charged aux battery to a fully charged TBxx.

Hi thanks for the advice, not sure what lihv are? Is that an high voltage lipo? Will see what they cost. What is your set up do you use a modified TB or the battery clip I am using?

Thanks again.

Hi thanks for the advice, not sure what lihv are? Is that an high voltage lipo? Will see what they cost. What is your set up do you use a modified TB or the battery clip I am using?

Thanks again.

Photos of the battery mod setup

Battery mod clip with connecting cable shown in the first image, second with the battery in place. Others show the battery support bracket clipped to the underside of the i1, then the batteries
In place and the batteries themselves. The i1 will not fit in the case with the battery support clip attached, I have not permanently attached it yet, still testing

I don't use travel mode, so have not check to see if that works with batteries in the location shown. Legs move to flight mode and back to landing

Remember don't connect the external batteries to the battery clip until the i1 is powered up and ready to go

7d73badcb9f67920605abae942c3c379.jpg
fine.

8fa09442e6cb6ed92ba871ec4257c892.jpg

a6fe44a4a278e123e929a6e9ac11fbf3.jpg

8003095088965e331d6581cf9144d9c4.jpg

4f3b2216328d39ae17962213641cea30.jpg

0fc34d3238879e79a7266218446b2533.jpg

3182b524c9731daaf84959f5909e2187.jpg

75447445fddb1b4959fda8298d26e0dd.jpg

eee0936573a612a08dac6c66677da827.jpg

Photos of the battery mod setup

Battery mod clip with connecting cable shown in the first image, second with the battery in place. Others show the battery support bracket clipped to the underside of the i1, then the batteries
In place and the batteries themselves. The i1 will not fit in the case with the battery support clip attached, I have not permanently attached it yet, still testing

I don't use travel mode, so have not check to see if that works with batteries in the location shown. Legs move to flight mode and back to landing

Remember don't connect the external batteries to the battery clip until the i1 is powered up and ready to go

7d73badcb9f67920605abae942c3c379.jpg
fine.

8fa09442e6cb6ed92ba871ec4257c892.jpg

a6fe44a4a278e123e929a6e9ac11fbf3.jpg

8003095088965e331d6581cf9144d9c4.jpg

4f3b2216328d39ae17962213641cea30.jpg

0fc34d3238879e79a7266218446b2533.jpg

3182b524c9731daaf84959f5909e2187.jpg

75447445fddb1b4959fda8298d26e0dd.jpg

eee0936573a612a08dac6c66677da827.jpg

Sorry photos slightly out of order!

Thanks again.

You got it right, high voltage lipos which is what the factory batteries are. I don't think those fancy clips were in circulation and I didn't want to indefinitely modify batteries so I took my AC apart and soldered leads from the mains and ran them out the bottom. IMO, the clips are better in many ways.

I have my aux batteries mounted on the struts between the motors because I believe it is the most stable location.

Hi been looking on HobbyKing found a Tunigy 3000mha 6S 40c , but no xt60 connector, been told that adapters are not good, what batteries are you using? Regards George

Hi been looking on HobbyKing found a Tunigy 3000mha 6S 40c , but no xt60 connector, been told that adapters are not good, what batteries are you using? Regards George

My.brand batteries are nothing to be particularly proud of. Bear in mind, the higher C rating comes with more weight and I don't think there were any appreciable gains to be had to justify it. The factory are 6C, and I shoot for 25-30C just so the auxiliaries don't lag behind the primary. I have 2200, 5000, and 5200mah 3S batts run in series. All I look for these days is a good 20 min flight time without pulling the batteries down too low, and a little redundancy doesn't hurt, either.

Don't be afraid to solder your own connectors on. Just do it properly and you're all good.

Is there a reason the Multistar LiHV's seem to have fallen out of favor? I am still using mine and have had no issues.

1bd88d219bfa93f739680e312c298d2b.jpg

Here's my setup. Plan to use the same clip that he used. Don't want to mod each battery. But I already have the clip anyways But wasn't sure how to hook it up. But I am needing to order a decent lipo charger for the two I have got with the kit

If i have batteries that equal 21.6 volts when in series, will this cause damage to batteries or the drone? Thanks

So if I have two 6600mAh 4s 14.8v LiPo batteries, what would be the best way to wire them up to the Inspire without blowing up anything.

So if I have two 6600mAh 4s 14.8v LiPo batteries, what would be the best way to wire them up to the Inspire without blowing up anything.

What??
4s packs won't work.
You don't have any clue, and you are flirting with disaster - stop and educate yourself first please !!!

You are definitely messing around with potential catastrophic events happening to your bird. It's not as simple as it seems voltages have to be matched up it has to be wired correctly weight has to be figured in so center of gravity has not changed there are many factors that Determine a successful battery mod. FlyHighUSA does over 100 mods a month and we have zero failures of all the ones we perform. Let me tell you in the beginning it was a disaster for us as well. I worked beside an engineer to get s proper working combination. A couple years later we finally figured it. Give us a shout if you have any questions I'm happy to help.

Reactions: lrh111
Hello all fellow battery modders. I apologize up front for hijacking this thread, but I figure I would get more help here in the Inspire 1 forum. I've recently changed over to the Inspire 2 and I'm looking to do the same modification as what I did (as well as many of you did) to the Inspire 1. Problem is, it is not as straight forward. Please have a look at the picture below.

As you know, the Inspire 2 already uses two DJI batteries in parallel. Flight time isn't too bad around 18-20 minutes, but I really liked the 27-30 minutes we were getting with the Inspire 1. I'm only looking to put another 4000 to 5000mah on this new bird. I figure I can easily put two 3S batteries in series on the main A-arms and stay clear of any of the vision sensors and propellers (or at least, that is the current plan). I hope to get around 25 minutes of flight time.

The Inspire 1 power distribution board made sense. You had two main battery terminals going to the board, then 4 wires coming off the power distribution board going to the motors. The Inspire 2 is not set up this way. You can see that each DJI battery has its own circuit board that it plugs into. One battery supplies the positive terminal while the other supplies the ground to complete the circuit on the power distribution board. Then you see they are wired in parallel directly to the motors..... so how does the power distribution board control the level of current going to the motors? It made more sense on the Inspire 1 where all the power was fed to the power distribution board which in turn would power the motors.

So, where would I splice into to add another battery in parallel?

IMG_2077

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk