Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome work!

Just one thing: When running your tests, write down the ambient temp, humidity, and altitude and near the end of the flight, take an IR thermal meter and read the temp of all the motors and average them out.

( m1+m2+m3+m4)/4 = dT

Do a comparable test again w/o the added batteries. You might find they maybe running over 70°C ?? Let us know what the results are because this will show if the extra loading is too stressful for the motors to handle and greatly reduced their longevity.

Thnx!

Awesome work!

Just one thing: When running your tests, write down the ambient temp, humidity, and altitude and near the end of the flight, take an IR thermal meter and read the temp of all the motors and average them out.

( m1+m2+m3+m4)/4 = dT

Do a comparable test again w/o the added batteries. You might find they maybe running over 70°C ?? Let us know what the results are because this will show if the extra loading is too stressful for the motors to handle and greatly reduced their longevity.

Thnx!

Besides the bearings which are easily replaced what else will wear out on the motors? What is the longevity of these motors?

Besides the bearings which are easily replaced what else will wear out on the motors? What is the longevity of these motors?
Longevity is still Unknown because the I2 is still too new.

I'm an aeronautical electromechanical engineer and my dad designed the first generators (motors working electrically backwards) used on wind turbines in the 70's. Excessive heat in the windings causes them to degrade over time which also causes an increase in Amperage and interns causes more heat and thus creating a viscous cycle..... Heat is a motor's/generator's enemy.

1) BENEFITS

- 100% protection against DJI main battery shutdown (for any reason) in flight, cell failures, voltage sags, weather induced problems etc. Even if the TB4X main battery SHUTS OFF, the Inspire will keep flying on auxiliary battery power to get you home safely.

- Longer flight time. This thread documents flights on the Inspire v1 with an X3 camera of over 30 mins to 10%. Your rig and battery config will vary but you can definitely stay up longer.

- Less strain on main DJI TB4X batteries. Because DJI batteries are 10C, and with X5 and X5R putting more strain in these low C batteries, connecting up higher C external batteries significantly lessens the strain on the main battery as all batteries discharge together, providing power to the aircraft.

2) HOW TO

- For do-it-yourselfers:

Dropbox - Battery Mod DJI inspire.pdf

Credit to Michael Head for putting together the how to PDF.

- If you don't feel like doing the modification yourself, there are companies out there now that will do it for you for a fee, usually in the $75/battery range. I am aware of these two, ping me if you know of others and I can add them here:

In the US:

- Inspire 1 Power Mod - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas

- FlyHighUSA - includes new white TB48, mount, mod, etc: DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

- FlyHighUSA - includes new black TB48, mount, mod, etc: DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

In the UK:

- FlyHighUSA will ship worldwide, see link above.

- Inspire 1 3 Power Mod V2

3) HOW TO ATTACH EXTERNAL BATTERIES

Methods can vary but are a lightweight but strong battery holder plate for folks with the X3, X5 or X5R camera I helped design with Neil Watts. (I get no remuneration from this, just glad to help others who want to do the mod get going quickly):

DJI Inspire 1 X3/X5 Dual Battery Plate - Aero3D

4) ADDITIONAL TIPS:

- if you are connecting one 6S or two 3S's (via series harness), you only need one set of wires coming out of the battery.

- If connecting two 6S's (my personal preference due to the Inspire's unique design and the ability to more easily mount and balance them), you can plug one in on either side of the modified battery OR connect the 2 X 6S external batteries via parallel harness first, then plug into one side of the modified battery.
On the first page of this Battery Mods Thread it was stated how this Mod would offer redundancy and bring an Inspire1 back in case of Main Battery failure. To anyone's knowledge has anyone actually had a Main Battery failure with this Mod and flown their Inspire 1 back to the Home Point or at least to a safe landing.

On the first page of this Battery Mods Thread it was stated how this Mod would offer redundancy and bring an Inspire1 back in case of Main Battery failure. To anyone's knowledge has anyone actually had a Main Battery failure with this Mod and flown their Inspire 1 back to the Home Point or at least to a safe landing.

Yes. If I recall correctly, it was posted by someone in this thread.

What?......... You mean you haven't read through all 96 pages/1905 posts????? :p

What?......... You mean you haven't read through all 96 pages/1905 posts????? :p
Actually I have a couple of times trying to understand the Battery Mod. Every time I'd find something a little different. Being late starting the mod has let me see the problems and and successes of others, but I still haven't found the post showing that somewhere someone has successfully had their Inspire 1 return after main battery failure. Can you show me?

I am new here, went thru some pages of this thread... wondering if anyone here did a DIY using the idea of UAVMod's inspire battery clip trick? it seems very simple idea and hardware too... but they do over-charging on the product. :D

Hello everyall!! This question might have been answered already, can you use a lipo battery for the battery mod or just lihv?

I am new here, went thru some pages of this thread... wondering if anyone here did a DIY using the idea of UAVMod's inspire battery clip trick? it seems very simple idea and hardware too... but they do over-charging on the product. :D

See? That thing looks like the answer to me too. They have mods for the rest of the product line too. Spendy? Yep, but they look bulletproof to me. Idiotproof too. I like that.

Ive used Thunderpower tp 2800 6s 2 years. I have 4 sets of them. They seem to work the best. Ive tried other c ratings all the way up to 100c and all that did was add weight for the higher c rating and I did not be more flight time. These are not hv units.
cleardot.gif

Hi Richard, I cant use the above mentioned Batteries, nor my Hyperion G7 batteries up at my Rocky Mountain high altitudes, nor all the others that I bought as my DJI 1360T Hi-Altitude Propeller Blades look like wet noodles even at a stable hover at 8,000' and above ASL. MY I1V2 Motors allowed a 1/2 Throttle take off and have plenty of power but photos of my I1V2 in a stable 100' hover look like the blades are almost touching the airframe in photos. They are the limiting factor regarding total gross weight. The blades are flapping like crazy up and down at least 90°. This is with my X3 Camera! I kept my weight down to less than 500 grams over published 3,500 Max Gross. I'm going to write a full report with photos. it is even worse with my new very stiff Carbon Fiber Props. I'll be saving all my Aux Batteries for when I return to my other home in CA at sea level next month!!

Hi Richard, I cant use the above mentioned Batteries, nor my Hyperion G7 batteries up at my Rocky Mountain high altitudes, nor all the others that I bought as my DJI 1360T Hi-Altitude Propeller Blades look like wet noodles even at a stable hover at 8,000' and above ASL. MY I1V2 Motors allowed a 1/2 Throttle take off and have plenty of power but photos of my I1V2 in a stable 100' hover look like the blades are almost touching the airframe in photos. They are the limiting factor regarding total gross weight. The blades are flapping like crazy up and down at least 90°. This is with my X3 Camera! I kept my weight down to less than 500 grams over published 3,500 Max Gross. I'm going to write a full report with photos. it is even worse with my new very stiff Carbon Fiber Props. I'll be saving all my Aux Batteries for when I return to my other home in CA at sea level next month!!

Something sounds really wrong about this. I have an I1v2 with T-motor carbon fiber 1448 propellers, carrying an X3 camera and a Multistar LiHV 6S 6600mAH battery (~900grams) and had no issues up to 3000m ASL (~9800ft). It did have to work a little harder, I did get shorter flight times, but overall if I didn't know I was up in the mountains, I honestly would have just through it was a bit windier than usual from how the Inspire responded to my inputs, it was not very noticeable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin