Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery swelling with 3 batteries

Reaction score
Hi all.

I last flew my Inspire 1 approx 1 month ago as I have been sick since then. As I was new to the Inspire 1 I read all of the facts concerning battery storage including many on this site. So while flying I always let the battery get to 10-15%. If I charge my batteries and dont fly I always discharge them as thats what has been advised. Add to that the fact that DJI state that after 10 days the battery will automatically go into "storage" mode I was not worried about the batteries in the last month. When I last flew the temperature outside was +10c and dry. When I returned how I do as usual and lay everything out to get to room temperature and several hours later packed everything back into the case. In the last month the case has been on a table in the living room at normal temperatures.

Anyway yesterday was a clear day and I was well enough to fly so I put the batteries on charge. However after 5 minutes I noticed that not 1 but all three of my batteries have swelled during the last month. They havent been left on charge and the only charger I have and use is the original Inspire 1 charger that came with the Inspire.

So does anyone have any idea whats going on. Its not like I have used all three batteries a lot. 1 has been charged 13 times (TB47) another 22 times (TB47) and the last 10 times (TB48). All batteries are over 3 months old having been purchased in June last year.

Thank you in advance.
John

Attachments

• 20160125_123044.jpg
    20160125_123044.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20160125_123110.jpg
    20160125_123110.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20160125_123146.jpg
    20160125_123146.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160125_123240.jpg
    20160125_123240.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 187
  • 20160125_123248.jpg
    20160125_123248.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20160125_123302.jpg
    20160125_123302.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 185
John,

Sorry for your situation but, your batteries are unsafe to use in your airframe. They are all overly discharged and the swelling is due to breakdown of the internal chemical components as they try to recharge. I would suggest you rotate your new batteries such that you have a similar number of charges across all of them. There isn't anything you can do to salvage these batteries...

John,

Sorry for your situation but, your batteries are unsafe to use in your airframe. They are all overly discharged and the swelling is due to breakdown of the internal chemical components as they try to recharge. I would suggest you rotate your new batteries such that you have a similar number of charges across all of them. There isn't anything you can do to salvage these batteries...
Hi and thanks for the reply. Can I ask how they are all overly discharged? What % should they be stored at?

3.7 - 3.8 volt per cell is what I store mine at. Keeps them rock solid and no puffing.

So many conflicting reports about storage of these intelligent batteries. Why not put a simple sticker on the side of the **** things? ;-) Ok well guess thats a load of cash down the drain. Thanks for the replies. Cheers all!

John,

I understand your grief over loosing your batteries. I was trained by people with deep backgrounds in RC flight and thus, also of Lipo batteries. They taught me that you should never discharge below 30%. If you are going to store and not use your batteries for a while, try to do so at a 50% charge. I'm just guessing but, about 50% of the crashes I read about online are due to owners not knowing and understanding these very expensive and slightly complex critical components. In a way DJI has done their customers a dis-service. In their attempts to make this a "smart battery" and "smart charging" system they have made people feel like there is nothing to all this. Nothing makes for a bad experience like "smart systems" that can't account for humans.

On a separate note, I'm sure there are guys out there, perhaps on this board, who would be interested in salvaging parts off your batteries and you can probably recoup some of your expense from selling them.

Hi Dr Drones. Thank you again for your response. Yeah feels a little silly but everywhere I read or watched people said keep lipo batteries low so that's what I did. Thought I even read on a different Inspire forum to keep them low. Expensive lesson but at least it is learnt. I do feel that a small sticker on the side stating correct storage levels would save a lot of damaged batteries. But I guess thats what DJI want so that you have to buy more. Thanks again Dr! ;-)

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
FYI.. You should check all cells, not just overall percentage since cell voltage can vary from cell to cell. One bad cell can ruin an entire battery.

John,

Wait. I see no untoward swelling in those pictures at all.

Hi all.

I last flew my Inspire 1 approx 1 month ago as I have been sick since then. As I was new to the Inspire 1 I read all of the facts concerning battery storage including many on this site. So while flying I always let the battery get to 10-15%. If I charge my batteries and dont fly I always discharge them as thats what has been advised. Add to that the fact that DJI state that after 10 days the battery will automatically go into "storage" mode I was not worried about the batteries in the last month. When I last flew the temperature outside was +10c and dry. When I returned how I do as usual and lay everything out to get to room temperature and several hours later packed everything back into the case. In the last month the case has been on a table in the living room at normal temperatures.

Anyway yesterday was a clear day and I was well enough to fly so I put the batteries on charge. However after 5 minutes I noticed that not 1 but all three of my batteries have swelled during the last month. They havent been left on charge and the only charger I have and use is the original Inspire 1 charger that came with the Inspire.

So does anyone have any idea whats going on. Its not like I have used all three batteries a lot. 1 has been charged 13 times (TB47) another 22 times (TB47) and the last 10 times (TB48). All batteries are over 3 months old having been purchased in June last year.

Thank you in advance.
John

Your batteries look fine to me

Yep. Fly safe. Enjoy your batteries.
I certainly will Damon! In addition to you saving 3 of my batteries you could of also saved my Inspire 1! I did not know you could buy battery insulating stickers. I would of used that new battery flying in the -10c we have here at the minute and without the extra insulation I should imagine I could of risked battery failure as well? So thank you again my friend! ;-)

Reactions: damoncooper
I certainly will Damon! In addition to you saving 3 of my batteries you could of also saved my Inspire 1! I did not know you could buy battery insulating stickers. I would of used that new battery flying in the -10c we have here at the minute and without the extra insulation I should imagine I could of risked battery failure as well? So thank you again my friend! ;-)
John,

I certainly hope this is all there is to this but, run them through a charge cycle and look at your voltages again just to be safe. Best of luck.

Yes I have charged all 3 to 30-40% and checked the voltages of each cell. All look good. Thanks. :)
That's good so far John. You will really find out when you fully charge them. If they are beginning to swell it will likely get worse while charging and they won't fully charge if there are damaged cells. Best of luck and I hope none of that happens.

That's good so far John. You will really find out when you fully charge them. If they are beginning to swell it will likely get worse while charging and they won't fully charge if there are damaged cells. Best of luck and I hope none of that happens.
Yes I will for sure stop using any showing signs of swelling or inefficient cells. Can not believe I was so stupid but there again I did not realise you could buy stickers for them. Just when I held a new battery beside my 3 older ones they all looked buffed up and soft to the touch. :oops::oops::oops::rolleyes: Thank you to all of you for your advice and information though. Its very much appreciated!

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airlineoffice