Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery temp below 59ºF can't fly

Reaction score
In Bellevue, Washington where the temp was 62ºF received warning in DJIGO app that the battery was below 59º and that it must be warmed to 77ºF before flying.

I happened to have a battery in my back pocket which was getting a little body heat, so I swapped it and was able to fly right away. I presume this is a characteristic to the Inspire series since we've never seen this in our Phantom series aircraft.

My question? Is this normal?

Thx...Jim & Kelly

In Bellevue, Washington where the temp was 62ºF received warning in DJIGO app that the battery was below 59º and that it must be warmed to 77ºF before flying.

I happened to have a battery in my back pocket which was getting a little body heat, so I swapped it and was able to fly right away. I presume this is a characteristic to the Inspire series since we've never seen this in our Phantom series aircraft.

My question? Is this normal?

Thx...Jim & Kelly
Yes it is a 'safety' feature on the Inspire batteries.

Below 15c/59f battery temp you will not be able to operate. The battery must be warmed above this figure first.

So I guess DJI doesn't want anyone living in the north having an Inspire. It is below 15c/59f 300 days a year here.......

Reactions: james tulloch
So I guess DJI doesn't want anyone living in the north having an Inspire. It is below 15c/59f 300 days a year here.......
It's not ambient, its battery temp!
Simply warm the pack.
You can fly in -10 if you want to but not with a cold battery. (Which would be stupid to attempt anyway)

Makes sense to me. We looked into battery warmers, but the ones we found used current from the battery to warm it. Seems to me a cooler with a couple hand warmers would work pretty well. Just need to monitor the temperature. so it doesn't get too warm. Presumeably once the Inspire is flying it will warm the battery sufficiently to keep it above 59ºF.

Makes sense to me. We looked into battery warmers, but the ones we found used current from the battery to warm it. Seems to me a cooler with a couple hand warmers would work pretty well. Just need to monitor the temperature. so it doesn't get too warm. Presumeably once the Inspire is flying it will warm the battery sufficiently to keep it above 59ºF.
Correct - after a few seconds of flying the internal temp of the pack will rise and you will not have an issue.

These are very good - I have four of them and they run off an external Lipo.
Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC) (EU Warehouse) You are also able to programme the temp of them.

The DJI battery warmer isnt too bad and only uses around 3% of battery to get the pack up to temp.

Here in Michigan I used an insulated cooler and some handwarmer packs and they stay toasty for as long as needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1