Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Bay Area Pilots?

I was planning to fly today but I was on a mission to find a backpack for the I1 to do some remote Hike and Fly.
I've been considering making my own, let me know if you find a good one. I'll let you know if I come up with something that works. I only had one flight today but it was a productive one.

Have fun and great day. Note flying north of surfers point is a no drone fly zone. From the harbor's lighthouse (twin lakes) to surfers point was a great long flight with some of my best footage :). I initiated my first RTH flight there, I had trouble spotting her. My camera man had eyes on though.

Oh yah, and both coffee shop and bar (just ate :)) were super cool about letting me charge back up. I went through 7 of my 5 batteries.

Yup I'll be at Shark Fin Cove and possibly Bonny Doon Beach. I expect to be there the whole day.

Just check out the UAV Forecast.

http://www.uavforecast.com/

Just be aware of the NOAA no-fly zones over the ocean. I fly up there a few times a week, you just have to be careful not to fly over the water and keep an eye out for park rangers :) If you're flying closer to sunset, I may join you.

I plan on a sunset shot so I may be their.

I looked over the NOAA and as far as I can tell from their 7/2014 notice they are not against drones flying around beaches but they did say just to talk to them if you are planning on using a drone over water for an extended period of time. Which seems very vague. As far as the park rangers it is a state park and chances are there will be no other individuals on the beach with me thus I am sure they will do a meet and greet session.

Last edited:
I plan on a sunset shot so I may be their.

I looked over the NOAA and as far as I can tell from their 7/2014 notice they are not against drones flying around beaches but they did say just to talk to them if you are planning on using a drone over water for an extended period of time. Which seems very vague. As far as the park rangers it is a state park and chances are there will be no other individuals on the beach with me thus I am sure they will do a meet and greet session.

Sounds good! Are you going to the conference this afternoon or the all day thing tomorrow?

I did on ebay but it looks uncomfortable and bulky especially if the wind blows that case will be a sail.

I did however bought anothtoer backpack from ebay and I will "McGuyver" it and give y'all an update on my progress.

I have that setup and agree that it's a bit bulky, but I've warn it all over without any problems. I've done a few longer hikes and it's actually pretty comfortable. You can check it out if we end up crossing paths tomorrow.

Reactions: Outta Control
I believe Davenport is gtg too. I didn't know of these restrictions when I flew there and just got lucky. I was planning on flying out near Natural Bridges but I guess that's out now :-(. I'll report what I learn. The FAA guy is going to be very busy if I had to guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 8
I believe Davenport is gtg too. I didn't know of these restrictions when I flew there and just got lucky. I was planning on flying out near Natural Bridges but I guess that's out now :-(. I'll report what I learn. The FAA guy is going to be very busy if I had to guess.
That is the map I'm familiar with as well. It's unfortunate, because there is a lot of beauty in that area! I was "made aware" of that when I published this video my me flying my phantom through the Natural Bridge... :) Ooops...

Reactions: Eric
For discussion sake I contacted the CA State Parks District Office in Felton to let them know I was filming a non-commercial video. At first they got sketchy and says that I need a permit to do filming. I explained to them that I did my due diligence and researched about filming on CA state parks and told them that as long as I am doing this in a non-commercial capacity the CA State Parks encourages doing so,"... as a means of enhancing visitor enjoyment of units in the State Park System and extending the benefits and influences of the recreational experience..."

How do y'all like that! Of course the Park Ranger may say different but as long as we are articulate in our explanation we should be in the clear.

Reactions: Eric

From all the drama we all face with I have no desire to fly in the Monterey area. There are other fantastic places to explore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth