Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Beach Landings - Ideas?

Reaction score
I know there has been some discussion about landing on the beach and ideas for avoiding problems with sand.

Any reason why a simple large beach towel wouldn't suffice in avoiding issues? Just thinking that if the towel is large enough this would provide a convenient, lightweight, and inexpensive way of protecting from sand.

Thoughts and any other inexpensive/lightweight ideas are much appreciated!

You can buy a waterproofed canvas drop cloth at the local hardware/big box in the 5x5 ft range for about $10 USD. It wouldn't hold sand like the towel and has the advantage of not wicking moisture back up to your airframe. Hold downs can be anything from steaks to weights.

Reactions: jmelario
I just bring a white sheet. It's easy to pack AND it's a large area, throw a little sand on the corners and you're done. I ALWAYS bring a white towel too to cover it up to protect it from the salt air and the blazing sun we have here. Don't want the props to go limp from the sun if they ever would. Black plastic and intense sun for a period of time just don't mix IMHO.

I just bring a white sheet. It's easy to pack AND it's a large area, throw a little sand on the corners and you're done. I ALWAYS bring a white towel too to cover it up to protect it from the salt air and the blazing sun we have here. Don't want the props to go limp from the sun if they ever would. Black plastic and intense sun for a period of time just don't mix IMHO.
Great idea and thanks. The white towel is to protect it while it is sitting in the sun between flights?

I hate limp props!

I know there has been some discussion about landing on the beach and ideas for avoiding problems with sand.

Any reason why a simple large beach towel wouldn't suffice in avoiding issues? Just thinking that if the towel is large enough this would provide a convenient, lightweight, and inexpensive way of protecting from sand.

Thoughts and any other inexpensive/lightweight ideas are much appreciated!
Never, ever use a towel or cloth......here's why. (Although this is a heli the principle is the same with multi's)

What he said.... ^^^^

When flying from soft surfaces (sand/mud)...
I use a 3x3 ft piece of plywood flat on the ground as a pad... ;)

Never use floppy items or raised items (tables/etc)
It WILL bite you someday... :oops:

Last edited:
Never, ever use a towel or cloth......here's why. (Although this is a heli the principle is the same with multi's)

Wow, that's brutal. Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming that something that is staked at the corners would avoid this from happening...

Yes, sometimes "the bikini girl" wants to layout for a bit while I sweat by coconuts off! Covering the bird up makes me feel better without breaking it down (witch I almost never do anyway)
Do you stake the sheet or is the sand enough to prevent what happened to the helicopter in the video that was posted on this thread? Have you ever seen this happen or come close to happening with the sheet?

I hand launch and hand catch anytime I'm flying from sandy locations. I do the same from boats and areas with rough terrain. When you hand launch, just pick her up and raise the landing gear before arming. Throttle up and she'll fly right out of your hands. You must have self-adaptive landing gear disabled for this to work. If you don't, the legs will auto retract while the props are moving and you definitely don't want that.

Reactions: ringolong
I hand launch and hand catch anytime I'm flying from sandy locations. I do the same from boats and areas with rough terrain. When you hand launch, just pick her up and raise the landing gear before arming. Throttle up and she'll fly right out of your hands. You must have self-adaptive landing gear disabled for this to work. If you don't, the legs will auto retract while the props are moving and you definitely don't want that.
Hand catching and launching the I1 from your hand sounds crazy. Don't get me wrong I do it with my P3 and P4, of course those are half the size and weight... I guess it would take some practice to do, I suppose...

Hand catching and launching the I1 from your hand sounds crazy. Don't get me wrong I do it with my P3 and P4, of course those are half the size and weight... I guess it would take some practice to do, I suppose...
I watched a video on YouTube of someone demonstrating how to catch it one handed before setting out to try it myself. I was pretty nervous the first time but it's easier than I thought. The hardest part is getting used to the weight of it.

Nowadays I tend to hand catch more than land it, especially when I'm flyin with an X5 to better protect the gimbal from shock.

I use the floor mat from my vehicle when close to the vehicle. I Usually hand catch for the landing and carry a leather glove for when the battery is too hot for comfort. The glove provides a more secure grip also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I watched a video on YouTube of someone demonstrating how to catch it one handed before setting out to try it myself. I was pretty nervous the first time but it's easier than I thought. The hardest part is getting used to the weight of it.

Nowadays I tend to hand catch more than land it, especially when I'm flyin with an X5 to better protect the gimbal from shock.

That is impressive, I'm 6'2 255... I think I'm rather strong but that is the one thing I fear... The weight of it in one hand when the motors stop. Curious, you have ether link to that vid?

I'm 5'8 and 150lbs and I hand catch every single time. It's easier and less worrisome since I tend to drone in far off destinations with uneven surfaces.

Reactions: Bigdz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah