Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Beach Landings - Ideas?

This is the one I watched. It's safer now than when this was made since you can disable the automatic landing gear but the technique is otherwise similar.

Thanks! He makes it look easy...ill start practicing using his tips

Reactions: Joola
Funny this post was created after I just got back from the Bahamas yesterday.

I was filming a small island, and my concerns for the first couple of days were exactly yours--how do I land?

I used towels the first time. I do not recommend this as they can blow away and up into your wings. I suggest a large sheet of light material nailed, or weighted, to the sand.

I had no choice but to have my spotter hand hold it landing by grabbing the battery. I also landed on a large surfboard a couple of times.

Did a few hand catches today with the I1 was a lot easier then I thought. The video above really helped

Reactions: Joola
I know there has been some discussion about landing on the beach and ideas for avoiding problems with sand.

Any reason why a simple large beach towel wouldn't suffice in avoiding issues? Just thinking that if the towel is large enough this would provide a convenient, lightweight, and inexpensive way of protecting from sand.

Thoughts and any other inexpensive/lightweight ideas are much appreciated!
Follow the advice of the others using more substantial covers. Depending on your quad, a towel will just cause problems due to the prop wash on landing.

This is the one I watched. It's safer now than when this was made since you can disable the automatic landing gear but the technique is otherwise similar.

Thanks for the hand-catch video !

I almost always hand catch. I lower the gear, switch to GPS and quickly grab the top hump while down sticking the throttle. I realize by grabbing there I'm blocking the GPS attenna but by then I've got a very firm grip on her. Done it 100's of times without issue. I take off from the stock case and or pelican cases. Keeps my gear nice and clean.

I use a square of 4mm rubber sheet, bought from a tyre shop. Rolls up, sand doesn't stick, heavy enough that the edges stay flat in any breeze I would fly in.. Fits in the trunk of a sedan.

I have a similar arrangement using two rubber pads purchased at Home Depot with each about 2' by 4' so 4' x 4' when put together. The material is pretty near 4mm as well and has a fabric surface with a print pattern on the top. I have not flown with them yet but in my trip earlier in the year to southern Utah I had issues with the red dust getting onto everything.

Brian

I know there has been some discussion about landing on the beach and ideas for avoiding problems with sand.

Any reason why a simple large beach towel wouldn't suffice in avoiding issues? Just thinking that if the towel is large enough this would provide a convenient, lightweight, and inexpensive way of protecting from sand.

Thoughts and any other inexpensive/lightweight ideas are much appreciated!
5 Ft Diameter Drone Launch Pad - HDLP in Launch Pad Yup its expensive but works really well even in windy conditions.The rim is weighted so its won't get blown away.

If,
H-man would put on a U or UM i would buy one.
here's my diy solution.
Polyprop woven fabric (7X5'), i made the edges concave so by fixing the corners with 7" nails it keeps the edges under tension.
The centre is 'biplex' 3mm thick Polyprop extrusion board (home construction,under-roof shield).

For the air-catchers: Don't let it descend in front of you , but on top of you So if it goes wrong you won't have the props tickle you in the face...
Avoid grabbing on the 'VisionPositioningSystem' and keep the AC still until motors stop, if not you can get error messages.
IMG_9868.JPG IMG_9869.JPGIMG_9060.JPG

Seriously believe with gear down grabbing from the top is the way to go. Feels way safer than any other grab methods. Again, I do it all the time just to keep my gear clean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan