Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Been Experimenting with Camera Settings - Found a Winning Combo

That is awesome! I had no idea! Very nice to know!

I gotta say, the bracketing function was a hidden gem that I had no idea we had until I stumbled on something about it in another thread.

For years I've used this type of process regarding shooting and processing real estate photos.

It's super easy, the only tricky part is composure - the rest is all software and knowing what to edit, etc.

The software I use (this is probably worthy of a post in and of itself) is HDRSoft's Photomatrix Pro to do an Exposure Fusion blend. Sorry if it's not ok to link to outside vendors.

I've put together a preset (download link) I use for coming up with a very natural looking blend.

Then I throw it into Photoshop and tweak from there. For shots where the sky and ground are vastly different, still, I'll cut the sky out using the quick selection tool and darken it a bit and brighten the ground. Then I'll add some contrast and sharpness independently.

Okay, thanks for the reply! This is pretty much what I was assuming that everyone was doing, you're basically using the auto mode as a way just to get your shot set up and then locking it in. This way you don't have to go through manually and just make all the setting adjustments. But basically you are using auto mode and then locking it down and then making it just like your in manual mode. Basically it's what I'm doing just using manual mode. I thought you guys were using some kind of special feature in auto mode that I was unaware of and perhaps just locking The shutter speed down and allowing the camera to compensate in other ways for lighting…

I had seen that AE lock button but hadn't tried it out yet. I'll have to experiment with that! Thanks for the discussion on this as I hadn't realized how it was used or how I could easily set it up using the automatic adjustments.

I still don't get the 18% gray card bit, I'll have to get one and play with it!

Reactions: flyingclint
Has anyone noticed that since updating to the latest pilot app and firmware that the HDR option is now greyed out?

Attachments

• 11205085_498065413675953_5906955479813183546_n.jpg
    11205085_498065413675953_5906955479813183546_n.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 45
It will be introduced shortly for the Inspire.
I'm sure it will (along with Waypoints etc). But to already get use to using it before the update and now for it to be gone, is more than frustrating. Imagine if they brought out the Waypoints feature, you get used to using it, do an update and then it's gone? Doesn't make any sense...

I'm sure it will (along with Waypoints etc). But to already get use to using it before the update and now for it to be gone, is more than frustrating. Imagine if they brought out the Waypoints feature, you get used to using it, do an update and then it's gone? Doesn't make any sense...
Was HDR ever activated on the Inspire?
Auto bracketing of 3 or 5 shots yes, it's always been there (and still is) but auto HDR is introduced on the P3 but not (yet) implemented on the Inspire.
Unless I am wrong, so not sure how you could be 'used' to using a feature that has yet to be introduced?

Was HDR ever activated on the Inspire?
Auto bracketing of 3 or 5 shots yes, it's always been there (and still is) but auto HDR is introduced on the P3 but not (yet) implemented on the Inspire.
Unless I am wrong, so not sure how you could be 'used' to using a feature that has yet to be introduced?

"not yet"? Are you kidding? It has been, "implemented" on the "Inspire 1" well before they even started developing the P3. You're an admin here and you don't know that much? I've been flying the Inspire from the 6th of January. Since then I've logged over 240 flights, flown for almost 30 hours and traveled over 300kms. I can tell you Mr Editor. It was implemented well before the last firmware update. And it's annoying a lot of people that they've taken it's use away right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 37
"not yet"? Are you kidding? It has been, "implemented" on the "Inspire 1" well before they even started developing the P3. You're an admin here and you don't know that much? I've been flying the Inspire from the 6th of January. Since then I've logged over 240 flights, flown for almost 30 hours and traveled over 300kms. I can tell you Mr Editor. It was implemented well before the last firmware update. And it's annoying a lot of people that they've taken it's use away right now.
You're right, I don't know very much about anything really.
I'm not sure where all these angry people are though?
So far, the only angry individual seems to be you!

Reactions: AerialPerceptions
You're right, I don't know very much about anything really.
I'm not sure where all these angry people are though?
So far, the only angry individual seems to be you!

Excuse me please. I'm not saying you, "don't know much about anything" The Editor. You're just not well informed that's all. I'm a member of a FB group of over 6,000 Inspire 1 members. I shared a link from your site to our thread we are currently chatting about. That thread is talking about the now "HDR" feature we were very used to NOT being available to us currently after recent updates. This I thought you may already know.. Clearly not. The internet makes the world a small place. I thought sharing knowledge between forums might make us move forward faster. That's all. Here's a link to our thread. This forum may find it useful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJIInspire1Owners/1594631957476352/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

Excuse me please. I'm not saying you, "don't know much about anything" The Editor. You're just not well informed that's all. I'm a member of a FB group of over 6,000 Inspire 1 members. I shared a link from your site to our thread we are currently chatting about. That thread is talking about the now "HDR" feature we were very used to NOT being available to us currently after recent updates. This I thought you may already know.. Clearly not. The internet makes the world a small place. I thought sharing knowledge between forums might make us move forward faster. That's all. Here's a link to our thread. This forum may find it useful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJIInspire1Owners/1594631957476352/?notif_t=group_comment_reply
You're right of course..... I'm usually in the dark with all this technical stuff.
Let me see if I can dig out an email direct from DJI (I get a lot of those)... ah yes, here it is:

This is dated May 4th 2015 by the way and pertains to FW v1.2.1.0 and app version iOS 1.0.3 and android v1.1.0

Please note item 4 on the email from DJI

Quote:

Hi xxxx,

We add the video editor function. And make a few alteration as below:

1. Integrated all option menus into one.

2. In the main GUI, added Distance between Aircraft and RC. This function relies on the RC GPS data.

3. Added YouTube Livestreaming feature, Share on YouTube, and Share on Youku.

4. Added the HDR function similar to the iPhone HDR function. Tap and hold the camera button to bring out this function. This function can be used on Phantom 3 Professional only. This function cannot be used on Inspire 1 at the moment, therefore this button appear to be grey if the App is connected to an Inspire 1. If users ask about this, please tell them that this function will be unlocked in future.

5. Moved Academy to the Help GUI.

Fly safe and enjoy the new app. :)

Your Sincerely,

Autumn

You're right of course..... I'm usually in the dark with all this technical stuff.
Let me see if I can dig out an email direct from DJI (I get a lot of those)... ah yes, here it is:

This is dated May 4th 2015 by the way and pertains to FW v1.2.1.0 and app version iOS 1.0.3 and android v1.1.0

Please note item 4 on the email from DJI

Quote:

Hi xxxx,

We add the video editor function. And make a few alteration as below:

1. Integrated all option menus into one.

2. In the main GUI, added Distance between Aircraft and RC. This function relies on the RC GPS data.

3. Added YouTube Livestreaming feature, Share on YouTube, and Share on Youku.

4. Added the HDR function similar to the iPhone HDR function. Tap and hold the camera button to bring out this function. This function can be used on Phantom 3 Professional only. This function cannot be used on Inspire 1 at the moment, therefore this button appear to be grey if the App is connected to an Inspire 1. If users ask about this, please tell them that this function will be unlocked in future.

5. Moved Academy to the Help GUI.

Fly safe and enjoy the new app. :)

Your Sincerely,

Autumn

Thanks for the quote.
But it does fail to mention that it was already in use (this is a fact), hence why there are people that were using it annoyed that it's currently greyed out and available to the lesser model, the P3. So again, we'll wait for future features as we've always done. I hear the Waypoint feature and hand held gimbal are still months away.

Thanks for the quote.
But it does fail to mention that it was already in use (this is a fact), hence why there are people that were using it annoyed that it's currently greyed out and available to the lesser model, the P3. So again, we'll wait for future features as we've always done. I hear the Waypoint feature and hand held gimbal are still months away.
Pete,
I am more than a little confused by this. If, as you say, HDR function has been available 'for a while' why are users taking 3 or 5 auto bracketed exposures and stitching them together to form an HDR composition in programs like Fusion etc? Surely we would be seeing more examples and mention of auto HDR ability?
Why would DJI send me an email saying that the feature has just been added and not available for the Inspire yet ?
They also advised me should anyone ask to let people know that this feature will be unlocked in future. They didn't say it would be reintroduced.
I am not trying to be funny, just trying to get to the bottom of things.

Pete,
I am more than a little confused by this. If, as you say, HDR function has been available 'for a while' why are users taking 3 or 5 auto bracketed exposures and stitching them together to form an HDR composition in programs like Fusion etc? Surely we would be seeing more examples and mention of auto HDR ability?
Why would DJI send me an email saying that the feature has just been added and not available for the Inspire yet ?
They also advised me should anyone ask to let people know that this feature will be unlocked in future. They didn't say it would be reintroduced.
I am not trying to be funny, just trying to get to the bottom of things.

I don't think for a minute you're trying to be funny. I've posted a link to the FB thread that shows people have already been using the HDR function on their i1's. Anyway. I didn't add to this thread to confuse anyone. I added to it asking if others missed the function. If you'd please read through the thread I linked from the forum I belong to, that will explain things. Thanks. Pete.

I don't think for a minute you're trying to be funny. I've posted a link to the FB thread that shows people have already been using the HDR function on their i1's. Anyway. I didn't add to this thread to confuse anyone. I added to it asking if others missed the function. If you'd please read through the thread I linked from the forum I belong to, that will explain things. Thanks. Pete.
OK, I will take a look when I get back home. That may shed some light on the mystery. Thanks

I must admit I had no HDR button prior to update? I thought that you would have to auto-bracket and use separate programme?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I must admit I had no HDR button prior to update? I thought that you would have to auto-bracket and use separate programme?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you David.
This was my understanding also and confirmed with the email I received from DJI regarding added functions to the app.
I THINK Pete maybe confusing auto bracket or multi shot function (which has always been there and still is) with auto HDR function which is a brand new addition to the app and completely different to the other two as it does in camera HDR composition for the end user and produces ONE photo hybrid of several.
I cannot check Facebook at the moment though to have a look through Pete's link that he posted

Reactions: dronie
Thank you David.
This was my understanding also and confirmed with the email I received from DJI regarding added functions to the app.
I THINK Pete maybe confusing auto bracket or multi shot function (which has always been there and still is) with auto HDR function which is a brand new addition to the app and completely different to the other two as it does in camera HDR composition for the end user and produces ONE photo hybrid of several.
I cannot check Facebook at the moment though to have a look through Pete's link that he posted

You're absolutely right, and Pete401 is dead wrong. The HDR button was just added to the latest app update as you where informed by DJI. It's never been there before - despite his many flights. Only bracketed shots was available before. He must be mixing things up.

You're absolutely right, and Pete401 is dead wrong. The HDR button was just added to the latest app update as you where informed by DJI. It's never been there before - despite his many flights. Only bracketed shots was available before. He must be mixing things up.
My sanity has been returned....thank you. :p

Most Definitely!! The bracket only contained 3-5-7-time lapse or timer, not sure as I've never used the timer tab...

I've been playing with settings, after spending some time researching cameral settings options on here the last couple days. I'm super happy with my results.

The first shoot I did, a lot of the video was grainy and under exposed. (Linked to here)

Ultimately, per another users suggestion in this thread, I setup the color settings to Log, then put the exposure settings to Auto.

The video looked great and the stills were amazing as well.

I do a lot of bracketed stuff with my real estate photography, and the bracketed option with the Inspire 1 is amazing.

The shots in this post are from an Exposure Fusion blend (from HDRSoft), then touched up a bit in photoshop to add some contrast, even out some of the exposures and add a little sharpness. There is a little grain, but mostly from the Exposure Fusion process.

The video is exported, I'll have to put it on a youtube channel tomorrow to share.

View attachment 868 View attachment 869 View attachment 870

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo