Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Best Antenna Positioning for Strong Lightbridge connection as tested with Spectrum Analyzer.

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Mark B Parrott, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Mark B Parrott

Best Antenna Positioning for Strong Lightbridge connection as tested with Spectrum Analyzer. This is a video that every person should watch if you own an Inspire1

turbodronepilot likes this.
  2. PhantomDave

What if the bird is straight above you?

3. Ultra310x

Now do it with everything on connected to inspire and iPad attached.

4. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

What an absolutely pointless exercise and a waste of 45 seconds!

As soon as you move outside the entire propagation characteristics will change. What about reflected, refracted and multipath signals or the groundplane effect coming off the table and floor being confined in that room? Not to mention spurious RF coming from the bloody phone this video was taken on :rolleyes:
    It annoys me when ill informed individuals post things on YouTube that are wholly inaccurate especially where people may rely on this information in the real world. Then I suppose it's a case of people should make up their own mind whether they believe everything on YT or not....... but it still annoys me :mad:
    The lightbridge system, is no different to any other two way digital communication system using diversity technology and simple dipoles to radiate and receive the RF.
    Dipole antennas will create a linearly polarized electromagnetic wave in the plane they are orientated in. Similarly a receiving antenna that is also aligned in the same plane will generate the largest current when exposed to the electromagnetic wave.

What I find ludicrous is that this company/individual actually thinks this is a valid test of received RF strength!

#4 The Editor, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. Tahoe Ed

What I would like to see is the relative signal strength with a device attached and have WiFi and BT turned on verses Airplane mode.

6. AerialJerseyDevil

I just tried attaching my ipad2 and it seems it's too big ??? Hate to have to use my phone or but another device

7. TJ Gilbert

iPad air (which is slightly smaller than iPad) is the largest Apple device that will fit.
    This is not from personal experience, but from reading several posts that stated it...

8. HeadOn

FWIW - the manual says the two antennas should parallel to each other.

9. AerialJerseyDevil

Thank you for clarification TJ, I've been reading for months and haven't come across that

10. Quadpilot

Another issue with the iPad2, not Air, is that it does not have the A7 processor specified on the Inspire spec page as minimum required to display the video without high latency.

11. AerialJerseyDevil

Man, I just used iPad mini and was serious high latency with dogs in kitchen walking.. Same dog showed up in 3 spots as he was walking by... Ouch. Didn't realize processor speed required for this beast... Thank you

12. turbodronepilot

thank you editor for taking the time to make your post..it didn't land on def ears..

13. catware

If you mean the original iPad mini, as opposed to the mini 2 or later, then it has an A5 chip and it is indeed much slower than the A7. The A7 used in the mini 2 and mini 3 is 4 times(!) faster than the A5.

14. Anticipate

I tried using it this way in the field, and with a ground test it showed that DJI's recommended settings for the antenna are correct. This video is not. It iOS very sensitive as to how it must be pointed. The antenna "click" into place at a diagonal. The tablet or phone mount must be laid totally flat over the sticks. Then mount your device and point the tablet right at you. When you do this, the antenna will be pointed directly up. Any deviation from this hurts the performance. I could literally recreate it on the ground at about 110M away.

DustyVisor likes this.