Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Between mountains, over the lake...

Reaction score
mountains.jpg

I'm facing an interesting and challenging photo/video project this summer. Location: remote, sparsely populated region of Canadian Rockies, with weak or no cellular coverage. In most situations the Inspire will have to take-off the boat and land nearby or be hand-picked. That issue aside, I have no previous experience piloting in such environment. Narrow lakes on the valley bottom, steep hills or snow-capped mountains in proximity, water beneath etc. Anybody in the house with proven flying techniques, tricks to share, obstacles (other than obvious) to be aware of?

Last edited:
View attachment 5393

I'm facing an interesting and challenging photo/video project this summer. Location: remote, sparsely populated region of Canadian Rockies, with weak or no cellular coverage. In most situations the Inspire will have to take-off the boat and land nearby or be hand-picked. That issue aside, I have no previous experience piloting in such environment. Narrow lakes on the valley bottom, steep hills or snow-capped mountains in proximity, water beneath etc. Anybody in the house with proven flying techniques, tricks to share, obstacles (other than obvious) to be aware of?
Hey my friend, sounds like some real fun. Wish I could go with you lol. The only things I can really think of that might be an issue are these 3 things. One, you might want to fly with a trusted water landing gear set like the ones I make for my inspires. I always use them in case of an emergency I won't have to buy a new inspire( if you know what I'm getting at lol) Two, if the signal is sketchy you might want to download your maps while you are in a good spot so they will be available at all times. Other than that #3 a good lens filter to deal with the bright sun reflecting off the water could help. I'm sure you will do a great with your project. Let me know how it goes. TTYL my friend.

Ralph, are you watching me? :D OK, you must elaborate on this "signal" issue. What signal are you talking about? RC, GPS or cell/WiFi? How this "pre-downloaded map" thing actually works? For what I was able to learn, nobody really know as you have no control over it via Go app. How one can determine the location and size of terrain to be cached, what level of detail? Is it cached forever or for a certain period of time? Where it is cached (iPad Air 2)?
I must confess that dealing with probability of compromised telemetry in remote, uncivilized parts may be the biggest challenge to me. Definitely I must polish my Atti mode flying skills. As for rigging the Inspire with floats to make controlled landing on water possible, you may want to see my post "Inspire The Pond Skater". This is very crucial part of this project. However, I would like to see your device as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Matthew.

pond scater_ellipse buoys.jpg

Last edited:
Ralph, are you watching me? :D OK, you must elaborate on this "signal" issue. What signal are you talking about? Radio or GPS? How this "pre-downloaded map" thing actually works? I must confess that dealing with probability of compromised telemetry there may be the biggest challenge to me. Definitely I must polish my Atti mode flying skills. As for rigging the Inspire with floats to make controlled landing on water possible, you may want to see my post "Inspire The Pond Skater". This is very crucial part of this project, however. I would like to see your device as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Matthew.

View attachment 5410
Hey friend,
Yes I am talking about signal to download your maps. I wouldn't think gps should be a problem. Have you tried GPS in that area before? I took a look at your pond skater post. Really cool. I really hate the thought of landing on the water but would definitely be better to be prepared lol. I'm sure your atti skills are adequate. The inspire flyes great I atti mode. I will shoot you some pics of my water set up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44