Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Beware at Bangkok airport

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by pgaucher, Feb 12, 2015.

1. pgaucher

Guys (and ladies if there are any on this forum),

I'm heading to the Maldives in 5 days and did a stopover in Bangkok for a few days ahead of that trip. Had no problem getting the Inspire case on board the Cathay Pacific plane. I asked them at the check-in counter and they gave me a special tag for my Inspire 1 case. So far so good.

Arrive in Bangkok, go through immigration, pickup my suitcase, put everything on a buggy and off I head for the exit. Everything is going well. I'm almost out, and the airport security guy sees my DJI case and stops me for a full scan of my luggage. Naturally, they detect the Inspire and request I open the case. Then come the obvious questions:

- What is that thing? ... Answer: It's an aerial camera.
    - Why are you bringing this to Bangkok? ... Answer: Because I'm heading to the Maldives and stopping over here for a few days.

At this point, you could practically see the guy salivating at the idea of owning a brand new (flown twice) Inspire.

- Why do you come to Bangkok often? ... Answer: Because I am organising a major event for 2000 people from 10 countries and they will all be spending a lot of money in Thailand. I need to come regularly to make sure everything is on track.
    - Do you have a name card? ... Answer: Yes, in my suitcase.

After showing him my name card, you could see the disappointment on his face. He flicked my name card in the case and turned away without saying a word.

In the end, I feel lucky I work within a large organisation that has offices in Thailand. If I had been a tourist, I fear the conversation could have gone in another direction.

Travel advice: I would recommend hiding the Inspire case behind your suitcase when you are putting everything on a buggy. Exposing the nice DJI case with the INSPIRE 1 name on it is temptation in itself.

Anyhow, I'm now getting ready for the Maldives. Will update soon with some 4K footage of crystal clear waters.

Cheers

2. Morgon

Abhorrent behavior. :(

What's a 'name card', if you don't mind me asking?

3. pgaucher

Business card.