Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Beware of Overheating iPad

Reaction score
In sunny Melbourne Australia, I encountered a new "problem" with my I1. While it may not be topical for those in the Northern Hemisphere it was a valuable lesson. I had been getting some video footage with the Inspire as a way of practicing my technique and enjoying flying. I was sitting on a park bench, in the sun, flying with line of sight when my faithful iPad 2 Air shut down with a message saying it was to hot to operate. As expected I had normal control over the Inspire with the RC and was able safely navigate back to land. I'm sure others have encountered this problem and to some extent I had thought it was a heat generating issue with the internals of the iPad, which I had never encountered previously. In this case I'm sure there was a significant contribution from direct sunlight. That's me sitting on the park bench at 1.21. Anyway enjoy the brief video as you wait for the snow to clear. Any comments on the video or editing would always be appreciated.

Reactions: John Archer
Nice video, just a small section in the middle of the clip, where you were panning left, then right, then left of traffic on the bridge, gave a headache.

Great thing about Melbourne weather is if it's sunny when you start, 15 minutes it would of changed, which it seem to in this video as well

Very nice.

But, there's something wrong with the camera...it shows vehicle traffic flipped to being on the wrong side of the road.

;-)

Reactions: damoncooper
Adsser, not only that, but here on the other side of the world ("downunder") the image is also upside down. I use Premiere Pro CS6 to invert it. ;-}

G'Day David,
Your Melbourne skyline video is fantastic.
Melbourne's weather has been a scorcher for the past few months.
Editor suggests in previous posts not to be in direct sunlight for long.
On a Sunday last month I was travelling home on the Monash Fwy near Kooyong.
I noticed while driving a UAV flying to the side of the freeway.
Just by chance was that yours? If it was, what a small world.

Ozziepauly, Thanks for the feedback. The video was taken on Monday 8 February at around 2.00 pm, so it was not me. Must be another Melbourne Pilot. I had flown on other occasions where I had been in direct sunlight and this was the first time the iPad had overheated. But looking at the time I was out and heat in the sun, it was not surprising. I did the post as a reminder/notification to others just to watch out for this issue. Without the camera view, and various other pointers to where the I1 is, losing the screen shot is potentially a real problem. I was lucky/flying legally with LOS so no issues. Might see you around.

In sunny Melbourne Australia, I encountered a new "problem" with my I1. While it may not be topical for those in the Northern Hemisphere it was a valuable lesson. I had been getting some video footage with the Inspire as a way of practicing my technique and enjoying flying. I was sitting on a park bench, in the sun, flying with line of sight when my faithful iPad 2 Air shut down with a message saying it was to hot to operate. As expected I had normal control over the Inspire with the RC and was able safely navigate back to land. I'm sure others have encountered this problem and to some extent I had thought it was a heat generating issue with the internals of the iPad, which I had never encountered previously. In this case I'm sure there was a significant contribution from direct sunlight. That's me sitting on the park bench at 1.21. Anyway enjoy the brief video as you wait for the snow to clear. Any comments on the video or editing would always be appreciated.
Another reminder that I need to get back Down Under to someplace like Bondi Beach in Sydney to enjoy the weather and the people. Loved the video-thanks for sharing! G'Day Mate!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide