Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Beware remote firmware update.

Still I'm surprised why people upgrade everytime when prompted.My believe is when your Inspire is ok why upgrade?If an upgrade brings something special ok,but most of the time it offers nothing extra.Since DJI has lowered the speed of my Inspire I haven't upgrade.Inspire works great and all those "updates" are worthless.
Working with an older version of the app because I don't need most of the rubbish of it.

I'm assuming you are talking about Firmware Updates? If not you can skip my post :)

Being a Software Engineer, I guess I realize the importance of "Updates/Upgrades". Its not always about new features. Sometimes updates covers things that aren't readily apparent by the user. Some of the updates cover problems/issues that may rarely happen and only happen during certain conditions that 5% or less of users may encounter.

But I've also seen where updates may introduce new issues too. With all that said, I usually wait at least a week when new firmware is available for one of my "birds", to see if there are any big initial problems with the release. I did the upgrades to my I1, v2 when i got it as its part of my "routine" when I get a new bird, upgrade to the latest firmware version(s)...

And lastly, Should something happen to my "bird" requiring me sending it back to DJI for warranty work, they may not honor the warranty if I've not kept my firmware up to date. A fix to my issue may have been in the last update that I didn't take... So it would be on me..

Just some thoughts as to why I update/upgrade when prompted...

I'm assuming you are talking about Firmware Updates? If not you can skip my post :)

Being a Software Engineer, I guess I realize the importance of "Updates/Upgrades". Its not always about new features. Sometimes updates covers things that aren't readily apparent by the user. Some of the updates cover problems/issues that may rarely happen and only happen during certain conditions that 5% or less of users may encounter.

But I've also seen where updates may introduce new issues too. With all that said, I usually wait at least a week when new firmware is available for one of my "birds", to see if there are any big initial problems with the release. I did the upgrades to my I1, v2 when i got it as its part of my "routine" when I get a new bird, upgrade to the latest firmware version(s)...

And lastly, Should something happen to my "bird" requiring me sending it back to DJI for warranty work, they may not honor the warranty if I've not kept my firmware up to date. A fix to my issue may have been in the last update that I didn't take... So it would be on me..

Just some thoughts as to why I update/upgrade when prompted...
Yes I was talking about firmware updates Bart.
I agree when updates are a real help it's fine.(like the compass loss when Inspire came on the market).But right now any update is in my eyes not needed.And talking about DJI warranty,after 1 year I don't have a good trust in DJI warranty.I did have an issue with my camera wich was solved by my dealer in 1 day.
But people are free to update.;)

Reactions: ChrisG333
I persevered and tried the whole shooting match again, and this time... it worked. Both AC fully "upgraded" and the SLAVE back in business controlling the gimbal. Helped by this from DJI-Ken over on the DJI Forum.

"Try this, set the slave as master, go to RC configuration and then set an opposite mode. So if it's set to mode 2 set it to mode 1, hit apply. Then go back and reset it back to mode 2. Once that is done go ahead and put it back into slave mode.
Now on the SLAVE search for master, select it and enter password for the master. Once linked please request control or access on the slave and agree on the master. Now you should have all normal slave control. More than likely you will need to reconfigure your stick inputs to desired functions if a custom mapping was used."

This is doing my head in...
Same deal as above, with the upgrade to 1.9.1.30 being the most problematic I have experienced since purchase March 2015. I upgraded my I1 with X3 and I1 RAW to the new firmware, and both controllers to 1.7.40. The AC upgrade reported as "failed, try again", but when I tried again, it did nothing, and the GO app reported the correct (i.e. new) firmware version. This happened on both AC upgrades, which I thought was both weird and scary. I did the briefest of test flights, and both AC flew fine. I did longer flights with each AC, again no problems. I concluded all was OK.
Today I went to demonstrate dual operator control to a prospective client, and got no joy from my slave controller. The slave managed to control exposure and take photos and start/stop video, but no gimbal control on both AC. I requested control, and got a "gimbal control request timeout" error every time.
I have downgraded one AC (I1) to 1.6.0, but now my slave just makes an error tone several seconds after start up, and cannot even find a master when I get it to search for one. The Master connects with the AC and starts motors etc, but I have not flown it in this state.
Any thoughts from those who have been through this? Maybe I did things in the wrong order, have missed a step, am not holding my tongue the right way...??
Software.... sheesh...
Doug,

Go back and read this thread again. I think your problems have been covered here.

In short the update seems to reset every setting in the RC. You must reset all or your setting and recalibrate all.

Read the thread.

Well, I had started a new post on this but apparently missed this posting.
I watched a you tube video that stated move the slave to master, I did that, then shut off and turn on, did that but go no upgrade message. Did that several times.( iPad mini 4)
Then tried my iPhone that didn't work. So now I'm stuck. Seems like there is no definitive answer here.
C'mon DJI you can do better than this, get it fixed.

I persevered and tried the whole shooting match again, and this time... it worked. Both AC fully "upgraded" and the SLAVE back in business controlling the gimbal. Helped by this from DJI-Ken over on the DJI Forum.

"Try this, set the slave as master, go to RC configuration and then set an opposite mode. So if it's set to mode 2 set it to mode 1, hit apply. Then go back and reset it back to mode 2. Once that is done go ahead and put it back into slave mode.
Now on the SLAVE search for master, select it and enter password for the master. Once linked please request control or access on the slave and agree on the master. Now you should have all normal slave control. More than likely you will need to reconfigure your stick inputs to desired functions if a custom mapping was used."
Well tried that and it didn't work. Somewhat similar to what I had seen on YouTube.

This morning I updated to version 1.7.40 on my remotes and lost use of the slave controller. After 2 hours of going around in circles on DJI chat I'm no wiser. I was advised to downgrade the controllers to 1.6 but having done this the master displayed only the Phantoms and I have the inspire 1. I have now upgraded back to 1.7.40 in the master but can't change the slave from 1.6

The final advice from DJI was that it was probable that my devices (Samsungs) were not compatible with the Go app 2.8.3. I have been using them for 10 months. Can anyone help please?
I've got tjheh same problem and use iPads

Yes did on both... Just figured it out , had to downgrade both to previous version. Then, update the rc firmware on Master FIRST!!! Then Do slave SECOND. I just performed this and am happy to say IT WORKED!! I now am updated app on both slave and master RC without any issues and full gimbal control. Hope this helps others... Thanks

Thank you very much Neil! Your advice to downgrade the controllers worked for me.

Here's my story...While trying to upgrade to 1.9.1.30, I somehow ended up with a Master Controller with 1.7.40. and a Slave Controller with 1.6.0. The Master was connected to the aircraft, but I could not get the slave to work.

After reading Neil's advice, 1 reverted back to 1.5.80 on both the Master and the Slave. (Within the DJI Go App... locate the Graduation Cap icon and hold it for about 8 to10 full seconds... You can then select firmware version 1.6.0 or 1.5.80). I downgraded both devices to 1.5.80.

Panic set in after I downgraded the Master to 1.5.80, for it lost connection with the aircraft. I thought I had bricked the whole thing. (Instead of only having a slave that did not work, nothing was working.)

But the genius of Neil's plan was that the downgrade enabled the Master and Slave to join with each other.
Once joined with each other at 1.5.80, I upgraded the Master to 1.6.0.0

But the Master would not connect to the aircraft, until I manually relinked them.

To relink, go to Master's Remote Controller Settings menu, and select "Linking Remote Controller". Then pres the hidden red button on the aircraft.... directions to do this are here:

That was a beautiful moment, to see the Master connect with the aircraft again.

I then upgraded the Slave to 1.6.0, and voila! the Slave, Master and aircraft were all connected.

Good luck guys, that was a painful upgrade!

I upgraded the RC firmware (v1.7.40) on my Master RC at the weekend and then went to connect with my Slave RC - No JOY. I finally managed to get my SLAVE RC to connect back up again only by Disconnecting the link between MASTER RC and Inspire - syncing my SLAVE RC as the MASTER to the Inspire - then updating the firmware on the SLAVE RC (now my new MASTER) then Disconnecting the updated SLAVE Master from the Inspire and then re syncing my original MASTER RC back to the Inspire and then my original now updated (v1.7.40) SLAVE back as a SLAVE. Now all works fine. However what i find now that with the updated DJI GO App version 3.0.0 - the video link to my inspire is terrible - where as i could fly over 2km out without signal loss i now have issues with weak transmission signal and frequent cut outs even at 5-10m!! So far i have resisted to upgrade the bird and the camera to the latest 1.9.0.00 versions and kept them on version 1.8.1.00+ and 1.8.1.40 respectively. Anyone have any other recommendations or ideas so i can get back to my perfect video signal transmission?

I've had so many troubles updating firmware that I've sent both my airframes back to DJI, TWICE (was out of business for 3 weeks, too). Unless these guys send me a letter and/or an email that says "ZOMG! You have to update your firmware because you'll fly-away or crash!" I'll just take a pass on this rigamarole with the constant updating. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

How many Inspire Pilots are there out there with the latest FW upgrades on the Inspire, RC, Camera, App? Anyone flying straight and true at least?

How many Inspire Pilots are there out there with the latest FW upgrades on the Inspire, RC, Camera, App? Anyone flying straight and true at least?

Certainly me and there's been no firmware upgrade to rectify the situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jimmy,

Sorry does that mean you are flying well or have issues? I looked around the web yesterday and found 1 reference to deleting off the DJI GO app and then re-installing the latest version all in one go. I did this and then flew this morning without signal drop outs - i only got to 250m away as a storm rolled in but at least that was a better performance than the weekend.

Well after reading through the following posts

1.9.1.30 Firmware for Inspire 1 Series

i took the plunge and have updated straight from v 1.8.1.00+ to v1.9.1.30 for my inspire and camera. I have also updated my batteries. Both my updated Master and Slave RCs connected up no fuss and showed no issues along with my updated DJI Go v3.0.0 on my ipad air and iphone 6+. All i have to do is go out and fly and keep my fingers crossed all works fine.

Well after reading through the following posts

1.9.1.30 Firmware for Inspire 1 Series

i took the plunge and have updated straight from v 1.8.1.00+ to v1.9.1.30 for my inspire and camera. I have also updated my batteries. Both my updated Master and Slave RCs connected up no fuss and showed no issues along with my updated DJI Go v3.0.0 on my ipad air and iphone 6+. All i have to do is go out and fly and keep my fingers crossed all works fine.

A good practise is to check the behaviour in the simulator after upgrading, before the actual test flight. It helped me to prevent from a possible disaster after the latest GO update. In the sim the landing gear didn't raise fully and stuck in travel mode during flying, and landing. Also, P-GPS wasn't working, it stayed in P-Atti even though the screen said it was in GPS mode. I got all kinds of abnormal warnings that I didn't even know existed in GO. Only after removing GO completely and reinstall, the sim behaved normally and I performed a real test flight after that. Flawless and no problems in any flight after that.

I always simulate a few test flights first, after any kind of upgrade, before taking it for a live test flight in the field, prepared for the worst but never experienced any actual problem working this way.

Thats probably very good advice and thanks for sharing. Well i am back from 4 test flights and my happiness was short lived. Although the Inspire flew well i kept on getting rolling and lagging images and occasional weak signal transmission before the inevitable lost transmission signal and auto return to home action. I then swapped out my ipad (ipad air running latest mac os 10.2 with DJI Go app version 3 to my Iphone 6+ (mac os 10.2) and thought that did the trick until about 30 secs later and i started to get the same issues with weak and lost video signals again. Anyone any thoughts or advice or recommendations?

Thats probably very good advice and thanks for sharing. Well i am back from 4 test flights and my happiness was short lived. Although the Inspire flew well i kept on getting rolling and lagging images and occasional weak signal transmission before the inevitable lost transmission signal and auto return to home action. I then swapped out my ipad (ipad air running latest mac os 10.2 with DJI Go app version 3 to my Iphone 6+ (mac os 10.2) and thought that did the trick until about 30 secs later and i started to get the same issues with weak and lost video signals again. Anyone any thoughts or advice or recommendations?
Did you find the source of the problem or a resolution? I have had the same problem intermittently but now Jan 2017 uptodate it is a serious issue.

Reactions: Getting the Shot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips