Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Bright halo / spot in pictures and videos

Happens with my X5 as well.
Very disappointing on a $3.5k camera, mine also suffers from a badly tilted horizon.
Overall I am most disappointed with this rig and for the money I expected a little better than a Phantom camera dressed up with a nice lens.

Happens with my X5 as well.
Very disappointing on a $3.5k camera, mine also suffers from a badly tilted horizon.
Overall I am most disappointed with this rig and for the money I expected a little better than a Phantom camera dressed up with a nice lens.
It will happen on $1,000,000 camera as well! Did you read my earlier posts in his thread?
It is called the opposition effect and is physics - The only way to eradicate it is in post.

Errrr.....guys, Don't waste your time trying to eliminate it (other than in post) because you won't.
It is not something that is unique to cameras, our eyes see it as well as it's just physics. It happens all the time but is only noticeable in certain situations - mostly on uniform crops due to the texture of the subject and acute angle of the crops causing reflected light to go off axis from our view point.
As light travels in straight lines (for the purposes of this phenomonen anyway) what we see in the world is made up of reflected light. (We Don't actually see any objects at all, only the light reflected from them)
In this scenario, when we view crops from above with the sun directly behind and at the same angle most of the light is reflected at angles off the crops which means what you see is very slightly darker. The bright spot is the light reflected in exactly the same plane as your viewpoint and angle and therefore very little of the light is lost in shadow/reflection. This then appears as a slightly brighter area from our viewpoint.

I searched but could not find anything on removing it in post (FCPX). Can you point me towards a link? I get it also with my X5 and 12mm Olympus.

I searched but could not find anything on removing it in post (FCPX). Can you point me towards a link? I get it also with my X5 and 12mm Olympus.
Everyone will get it - it's just physics and the fact that light travels in straight lines (mostly).
FCPX will not be up to the job I'm afraid Jim as it's only really an editing tool.
You could do it in After Effects but it's a bit clunky and long winded.
Ideally Nuke would be my preferred option but if you do not have access to it then it's an expensive software to add to the arsenal but a great node based compositing tool used in most serious post houses.

Reactions: SanCap
Funny about that, I have tried to replicate it with my $150 Canon IXUS and have been unable to achieve the same bright hotspot. I understand what you say about the angles etc and have set my self up appropriately but remain unable to replicate. Being rude and then saying every camera does it is not being helpful, just plain condescending. I am on this forum looking for answers to a HUGE issue.
I take what you say with a grain of salt until you can furnish images from a $1000000 camera with the same result. Like I said I have been unable to replicate with other cheaper cameras.
Please provide proof to backup your statement about "all cameras do it" instead of being rude and condescending.

It will happen on $1,000,000 camera as well! Did you read my earlier posts in his thread?
It is called the opposition effect and is physics - The only way to eradicate it is in post.

Funny about that, I have tried to replicate it with my $150 Canon IXUS and have been unable to achieve the same bright hotspot. I understand what you say about the angles etc and have set my self up appropriately but remain unable to replicate. Being rude and then saying every camera does it is not being helpful, just plain condescending. I am on this forum looking for answers to a HUGE issue.
I take what you say with a grain of salt until you can furnish images from a $1000000 camera with the same result. Like I said I have been unable to replicate with other cheaper cameras.
Please provide proof to backup your statement about "all cameras do it" instead of being rude and condescending.
I was not being rude. If I was being rude you would know it!
I was simply saying do not waste your time trying to eradicate it, you simply won't be able to.
Look at the many references all over the Internet regarding the phenomenon. Your eyeballs will also suffer the issue not just man made imaging devices.
That was not a rude reply although yours was bordering on one.

Reactions: SanCap

3 posts and an attitude like that already, going to end well this [emoji6]

The answer to you HUGE issue is avoid being directly inline with the sun with the camera.

Hope that's not too condescending for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg