Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Business model question

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking at starting a drone services business (mapping, ag, inspection, etc.) and am wondering which business model are folks already up and running have successfully applied.

Do you solicit your clients directly or offer your services through a coop/ag consultant/surveying firm?

Do you charge by the hour or the job?

It seems that, where it used to be that clients would outsource services when the only tool available was a manned aircraft, customers are now buying their own UAS and running the services internally.

I would like to assess whether there is a real market potential for a dedicated business or if drone services are best run as a sideline.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using InspirePilots mobile app

I have had good luck doing agriculture mapping on the side. I approached the company directly and offered to help them. In my opinion, now is a great time to enter this industry. You can really define the market in your area. I have found that a lot of businesses don't understand how drones can help them. I make it my priority to identify their inefficiencies and offer to help them address it.

I agree that most companies will end up purchasing a drone. I am turning this into a positive by offering consulting services. If you get out, fly, and make contacts you can set yourself up to make great money being a consultant.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I have had good luck doing agriculture mapping on the side. I approached the company directly and offered to help them. In my opinion, now is a great time to enter this industry. You can really define the market in your area. I have found that a lot of businesses don't understand how drones can help them. I make it my priority to identify their inefficiencies and offer to help them address it.

I agree that most companies will end up purchasing a drone. I am turning this into a positive by offering consulting services. If you get out, fly, and make contacts you can set yourself up to make great money being a consultant.

What camera are you using for agricultural mapping?

I use z3 for my RGB (orthomosaics, 3D) and a slantrange for my Ag specific such as NDVI, weed detection, yield potential.

It's relatively new right now and farmers are hard pressed around my area to cough up anything especially if they feel it isn't a need but a nice to have. I am going to do some Pro bono work to "show" him the potential of the system. Hopefully he likes it enough to pay for the next services.

I go by acreage covered. I start at some price point and the more acreage the less per/acre I charge to a point. If the client wants multiple flights say every two weeks then I may work something out with them but that's case by case.

With lens technology now AG and Precision Mapping should take off
Ndvishop.ca

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin